Spare tire carrier / winch - broken end plastic replaced with spring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare tire carrier / winch - broken end plastic replaced with spring

Spare tire carrier / winch - replacing broken plastic collar by retainer with spring

Lowered my spare a few days ago, and found a few pieces of grey plastic on the ground. Looked around, and noticed where they fell from. The spare tire carrier / winch.

brokeend.jpg

brokenplastic.jpg

Dug around on here for how to repair it, or replace it. One thread by [MENTION=1437]RickOTR[/MENTION], http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359553 , mentioned fixing it with a heavy duty spring. I had a couple old springs from when I had my Gibson catback installed, so I dug those out to see if they would even work. A bit large, but I think it will work. One end of the springs was slightly smaller, so that end matched better with the end piece on the cable. I used a couple screwdrivers to pry open the spring coils so I could get the cable in the middle. The finished product seems good. I haven't installed it yet though.

exhaustspring.jpg

end1.jpg

endwithspring.jpg

springon.jpg

Well, here is a visual comparison between the OEM spring and the OEM exhaust spring...

EXPTireWinchSprings.png

Back