Squeaking / Squealing Brakes | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking / Squealing Brakes

Check on here for warped rotors post,
that might help you narrow it down, also few posts here on noisy front end, axles or front bearings replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have about 48k on my 2011 (mostly highway miles) and the brakes squeak at low speeds (like in parking lots, starting and stopping, etc.). Sometimes they continue squeaking after letting off the brakes but not always. I haven't had a chance to inspect anything yet, but I assume the pads are getting low. How long did your original pads last?

On a related note, has anyone upgraded pads? Got any recommendations? EBC?

Just a word of note on the upgraded pads question.

The law enforcement aftermarket parts community has lots of high quality brake parts to replace the OEM parts. After having seen first hand what Ford does for testing brake parts I suggest OEM all the way.

We have tried Raybestos, Performance Friction and other pads but they squeaked so we went back to OEM pads with OEM rotors without any issues.

Consider maybe the SPORT/POLICE components for your retail 2011 because in 2011 the brakes were significantly less robust compared to OEM in 2015.

Took my Explorer back in this morning. Brakes had been squeaking even worse. Been awhile since my first service visit but just haven't had the free time and my local ford doesn't give out loaner vehicles. Brakes are squeaking bad upon visit. After a test drive with the mechanic he hears them. Service didn't initially want to do much but gave into putting new front brakes and turning rotors after I mentioned the regional manager had contacted me. They only changed the front brakes and just inspected the back. Took it out for another test drive. They squeaked a couple times but stopped after a few stops. Their going to give me a week and see what happens. Told the service advisor that this seems to be a common problem. He said not at this dealership. I said you should read the forums. His comment back was that message boards exaggerate problems and people lie all the time. I just left.

Brakes Sqeaking/Squealing on New Explorer!!

I just have over 1K miles on a new 2015 Explorer....Brakes are squealing!! What's with that??? My 6yr old Hyundai brakes have never made a sound...I'm a little concerned at this point....

I just have over 1K miles on a new 2015 Explorer....Brakes are squealing!! What's with that??? My 6yr old Hyundai brakes have never made a sound...I'm a little concerned at this point....

Since you're concerned, lstraiton, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership for diagnosis. If you'd like, I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager (CSM) so they'll get involved. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Thanks for the tip....Will address it when I take it in soon!! Thanks so much!! I'll keep the info for sure...

Thanks for the tip....Will address it when I take it in soon!! Thanks so much!! I'll keep the info for sure...

Sounds good, lstraiton; come back and let us know how your visit to the dealership goes. :thumbsup:

Crystal

2015 Ford Explorer Brakes Squealing

Has anyone had an issue with brakes squealing on their 2015 Ford Explorer?
I have the 3.5 L EcoBoost V6 XLT and just recently the brakes starting squealing whenever I come to a stop. My mileage is almost 5000. The reason I am a bit concerned is because my husband also bought the 2015 Mustang Ecoboost and had brake squealing problems. Ford just released a TSB for that 3 days ago for an embarassing problem that has lasted since October. They are gonna replace his rotor assembly/brakes-caliper brake pads. Just curious if this is isolated or a potential newer bigger issue.

Can't comment on your brakes but if you have an XLT it is not the Ecoboost motor.

Welcome to the Forum Rachel GA.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing on the same issues.
Also, it would be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows in the margin when you post.

Peter

Good catch JMR. Meant to say Flex fuel, not ecoboost...thank you.

Has anyone had an issue with brakes squealing on their 2015 Ford Explorer?
I have the 3.5 L EcoBoost V6 XLT and just recently the brakes starting squealing whenever I come to a stop. My mileage is almost 5000. The reason I am a bit concerned is because my husband also bought the 2015 Mustang Ecoboost and had brake squealing problems. Ford just released a TSB for that 3 days ago for an embarassing problem that has lasted since October. They are gonna replace his rotor assembly/brakes-caliper brake pads. Just curious if this is isolated or a potential newer bigger issue.

Welcome to the forum, Rachel GA! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. I want to escalate this to your regional customer service manager; they'll work with your dealership on getting this resolved. All I'll need from you is a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. Leave the rest to me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I got my Limited at the end of March. It has about 5,000 miles on it. When I'm going slow like at a drive-thru window and apply the brakes, they squeal. It doesn't happen if I'm driving at regular speeds and brake. Any ideas about the squeal. I can't believe that the brakes are going bad.

My wife's car is doing that and my mechanic checked the pads…no problems. He says the culprit is the fact that I take her car through the car wash and have the tires shined in the car wash. The silicone they spray on the tires make the rotors stick and does damage to the braking system over a period of time. I never get my tires shined at car washes anymore and only do it by hand.

My wife's car is doing that and my mechanic checked the pads…no problems. He says the culprit is the fact that I take her car through the car wash and have the tires shined in the car wash. The silicone they spray on the tires make the rotors stick and does damage to the braking system over a period of time. I never get my tires shined at car washes anymore and only do it by hand.

Absolutely not true, that mechanic should get a job at McDonalds.

There's a TSB on certain years of Explorer.

I had squeaking front brakes on my Explorer Sport 2013 50k km.
I took the front wheels off, and found so much winter crud on the callipers
I removed the crud and put in new pads. (old pads worn 1/2 way)
Problem gone. :) Total cost of pads with taxes $125.00 and an hour & half of my time

Brian

I have a 2014 explorer Limited, approaching 15k miles and the squealing started a few months ago. It is only the passenger side rear brake and loud enough to pinpoint with the radio on and windows up. It's embarrassing to pull up to a stop sign/light and see folks plugging their ears. Very little city driving, mostly highway.

Anyway, finally got it into the dealer last night, they called me this afternoon and said everything looks normal with the brakes. She said the squealing is “normal” in today’s vehicles because of the steal brake components. My mouth dropped to the floor, the only reply I could come up with was that it may be “normal” for an explorer but certainly not for any other car I had ever owned.

Their recommendation is to spray wash the brake components to ensure there isn’t dust buildup. Sounds like they only did a visual inspection, will find out when I pick it up this afternoon.

Welcome to the Forum zman001.:wavey:
I'm with you on this one. If it was normal and due to their explanation, then why don't all Explorers have this issue? I never had that problem with my 2011 Explorer or the current MKT which I'm guessing may have the same system.
If you are not happy with the dealer's opinion, send a PM to Crystal to see what she may be able to do for you. See post 132 above.

Peter

I've noticed the squeaking as well.
Got 1200 miles on my '15 sport. A bit surprise to hear it but eventually I'll bring it into the dealership again.
First the squeaking door, then realizing my passenger side tire was out of alignment and now this? Come on ford!

2014 with squealing brakes

Just picked it up from the dealer. Of course, stated they couldn't duplicate the problem. I thought this was funny because when they drove it up to the pickup bay and came to a stop (even at very slow speed) it was a squealing away. Only difference was being on the outside I could not only hear the rear, but also a very light squeak coming from the front passenger side.

Anyway, everything checks out ok per the dealer. Their diagnosis is brake dust and cold weather. Told me I should take it to the car wash and pressure wash the brakes to remove all dust. This should clear up the squeal except when it's cold, it might still squeal then. They also said I should drive down the highway and hit the brakes and gas hard to re-seat the pads.

Wonder why only ford explorers suffer from dust squeal syndrome. I have two escapes ('04, '13) and both seam to be immune to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me thinks the dealer is grasping at straws.:eek:

Peter

Back