• Register Today It's free!

Snow mode = built in ECO mode?

BMan5150

Reaction score
City, State
O-HI-O
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Just a thought but when I was tooling around in the snow I couldn't help by notice how the throttle tip in was less aggressive/responsive and how much the transmission shirt shifted into the next highest gear. I've driven other cars that had an Eco mode, and this is exactly how they behaved. Wonder if this drive mode results in slightly higher has mileage, or if using this mode on dry pavement has any ill effects on the drivetrain?

For those not satisfied with their ex gas mileage, it might be worth a try but I'd consult with the manual first to make sure it's not harmful to the drivetrain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used snow mode a few times on dry pavement and noticed I got 2 MPG better overall. The acceleration is mad slow though and it seems like the car is putting power to the rear wheels as well so there might be more drivetrain loss. Using any of the terrain management modes on dry pavement won't do anything harmful at all because it is all wheel drive.

....Using any of the terrain management modes on dry pavement won't do anything harmful at all because it is all wheel drive.
The Owner's Guide specifically states;
Note: The Sand and Mud/Ruts modes are for off-road use only.

Peter

The Owner's Guide specifically states;
Note: The Sand and Mud/Ruts modes are for off-road use only.

Peter

Those modes turn off Traction Control. I'm pretty convinced that the recommendation to not use those modes on pavement is about liability not damage to the drive train. Disclaimer: Don't listen to me - this is just a guess.

I actually recall reading some marketing material from ford stating that it "desensitizes" traction control and does not disable it entirely. I can attest to this fact as it did kick in a bit when I was playing around in the snow recently. But yeah-still probably best to use the modes as they are I intended to be used by ford. But I almost wonder why Ford didn't just put an Eco mode option in the truck too. I'm sure it would appeal to some buyers. Heck, it seems like every other day there are folks complaining about their ex's gas mileage, LOL!

A true eco mode turns off briefly if you go pedal to metal as a safety precaution. I think being locked into snow mode's very slow acceleration would be dangerous because of that.

10 days ago we were driving to Ashville, NC from Florida and we hit the mountains in South Carolina in an ice storm! I put the snow mode on and we slowly made it through the slick mountain roads and when we reached NC we hit snow on top of the ice. We must have seen over 20 cars or SUV's slide off the road or get stuck not being able to make it up steep mountain grades, but the snow mode in our Explorer Sport kept us moving along nicely.

10 days ago we were driving to Ashville, NC from Florida and we hit the mountains in South Carolina in an ice storm! I put the snow mode on and we slowly made it through the slick mountain roads and when we reached NC we hit snow on top of the ice. We must have seen over 20 cars or SUV's slide off the road or get stuck not being able to make it up steep mountain grades, but the snow mode in our Explorer Sport kept us moving along nicely.

I live in the SC Upstate and I drove in that same ice storm. That was the first time I had used the snow mode. Like you, I was impressed with the surefootedness of the new Ex.

A true eco mode turns off briefly if you go pedal to metal as a safety precaution. I think being locked into snow mode's very slow acceleration would be dangerous because of that.

If you mash the pedal in snow mode, it will throw out power like Ecomode on other vehicles, especially if you WOT.

I'm not certain snow mode = eco mode when it comes to gas mileage, but it sure does behave like an eco mode. I've used it a few times on dry pavement when I've got something fragile in the back as it helps smooth everything out.

Tony

I'm not certain snow mode = eco mode when it comes to gas mileage, but it sure does behave like an eco mode. I've used it a few times on dry pavement when I've got something fragile in the back as it helps smooth everything out.

Tony

Yeah, I'm not so sure it's the best for Eco mode during normal driving conditions. It feels like it holds a lower gear for longer, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Regardless, I must say after driving yet again in crappy snow this weekend, I do like it now. Previously I just kept it in normal mode but the TC is too sensitive for slippery snowy roads. Snow mode works pretty well. But my sport's all season tires are pretty terrible in the white stuff. Likely somewhat due to there width and sidewall stiffness but I think / hope their are better tire options out there for when I replace them.

Regardless, I must say after driving yet again in crappy snow this weekend, I do like it now. Previously I just kept it in normal mode but the TC is too sensitive for slippery snowy roads. Snow mode works pretty well. But my sport's all season tires are pretty terrible in the white stuff. Likely somewhat due to there width and sidewall stiffness but I think / hope their are better tire options out there for when I replace them.
Yes there are. Dedicated Winter tires.:thumbsup:

Peter

Yes there are. Dedicated Winter tires.:thumbsup:

Peter

Agree. My 3 series has a set. It's better than my ex sport in the snow. But there are better all around performers than these all season tires. The Michelin ltx worked very well bought three sets for our pilots since 2004.

Back