2004 Harmonic Balancer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Harmonic Balancer

kiwivol

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT ('04 engine)
Need to replace the harmonic balancer on our 2004 4.0L SOHC.
The mechanic has removed the old one and after getting a replacement one, he has told me that the replacement is longer than the old one and won't fit...

Are there different size/length pulleys in the 02-05 engines?

It doesn't seem to make any sense to me that Ford would change anything major with the engine during a production cycle.

Is anyone able to enlighten me?

Cheers.
:dpchug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

since you have the old one off, put it next to the new one, is it longer?

If it doens't match the one that was removed it is not the correct one. Simple. Tell the mechanic/parts place to try again.

First Post, and a thanks to all!

The balancer in my 2005 failed the other day. It started with the usual squeak. I, like many others here, replaced the belt, and the squeak went away for a short time. The chirping returned, but louder. The noise seemed to be rpm related, so I assumed the alternator bearings had failed. I observed the tensioner bouncing, as others have. I removed the new belt, and turned the alternator by hand. It seemed to squeak when turned in one direction. I should have observed the noise was present when turning the pulley in the wrong (counter-clockwise) direction. I researched the parts, and was prepared to R and R the alternator. While on a short errand to procure some parts, I started the Ex, and upon turning the steering wheel, got a charging system error, which promptly went away.

I had my g/f turn the wheel, with the lights and A/C on. The entire belt system would completely stop for 1/2 second immediately as the wheel was turned.

When we returned home, I removed the belt again. Every pulley seemed OK. However, when I attempted to thread the belt back around the bottom of the crank pulley, the outer ring, where the belt rides, turned without turning the engine!

I have the failed balancer/pulley.

Called Dorman. I was told the 4.0 pulley P/N: 594-111 which they have listed, will not work on the later SOHC.

Finally called the local dealer. There is a new style pulley from Ford. P/N: 8L2Z-6B321-A retails for $198.91.

I picked it up, and ordered a replacement bolt. I removed the defective balancer using the process others have perfected here on ExplorerForums.

This work included the starter bump/breaker bar method for bolt removal. I disconnected the coil pack wiring connector, as well as removed the crank position sensor, to prevent starting, and damage to the sensor. I covered the radiator to protect it as well. Works excellent!!

I'll get it finished when the new bolt arrives on Monday.

Pictures for now:

New part on the right. There is a huge change, the outer hub is now fully vulcanized to the inner hub.

The exciter ring is totally different.

Another view.

Close up of the failed bonded joint.

I'll update when I am finished.

Sean

Replacement balancer

Sean, thank you for posting the information and photos. Apparently Ford has recognized that there is a reliability issue with the 3rd generation SOHC V6 balancers. I started a thread some time ago in an attempt to document the deficiency: Harmonic balancer failure

I'm curious about the first photo (front view) you posted of the new balancer. There appears to be an non-symmetrical, unfinished metallic piece on the left side of the inner section. It appears rather crude compared to the rest of the assembly.

I checked the part number on the Ford database and it shows the balancer as a replacement for all of the SOHC V6 engines from 1997 thru 2010 and the Sport Trac from 2007 thru 2020.

I'm curious about the first photo (front view) you posted of the new balancer. There appears to be an non-symmetrical, unfinished metallic piece on the left side of the inner section. It appears rather crude compared to the rest of the assembly.

I think it is just my picture making it look like that. Here is a better view.

The worst thing is I get charged full retail at the Ford dealer. :(

Back