• Register Today It's free!

newbie, how turn off heated seats

shelbydog25

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
just purchased a 2004 Eddie bauer Explorer... with NO owners manual. My wife says she can't figure out how to turn off the heated seats.. anyone know where the switch to turn off? just joined this site, sorry for the stupid question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the same button that turns them on turns them off, at least on my mounty thats how it works, you can verify on the climate control toward the top center of the display if you have the electronic controls

rrgone,

well thankyou for the link, wife is excited, I'm nervouse about tranny and it's reliability...

thanks for the link. consumer reports trashes the reliability (tranny) on this vehicle... at least I found the off button, it's located on the seat.. bizarre spot for it

Buyer's remorse setting in?

I thought that Ford got better at making trannies after '02-'03 model years. It will need service much more frequently than never as shown in the maintenance schedule. I just had my tranny flushed by local Ford dealer at about 40k. Since you got no owners guide you probably have no idea about what kind of maintenance it's had. What's the mileage? You might want to think about getting the extended warranty. Good luck to you - think good thoughts. :D

No buyers remorse, up until 5 years ago, been a long time Ford guy... just seem to have better luck with, dare I say it, toyota and Honda. But this was a good buy. Just down loaded the manual, am a shade tree mechanic, but I don't do trannies.
Car is clean, 2004, one owner, only 33k on it (11k per is year is barely broke in). Had dealer pull the OASIS report, maintenance maintained, no warranty issues.. So, i'll drive it like I stole it ;)

Consumer Reports will trash anything that's not made by Honda or Toyota. And the Hondas and Toyotas that do turn out to be dare I say, JUNK, they kind of sweep those issues under their carpet. Look at all the Camrys with oil sludge issues...Did you ever read about that in CR? Of course not. We see lots of Camrys, RAV4s, etc. coming thru the auctions with bad engines, and now the Tundras are having tranny problems too.

The reason you see more problems with the Explorers in their reports is because more people own them. The odds are just that much higher. The Explorer outsells its next nearest competitor by nearly 3 to 1.

BTW, the heated seat switch is somewhat inconvieniently located on the side of the seat. The on/off indicator is in the climate control display if you have automatic temperature control.

Thanks Cornburner...

noticed yours is a 2004 as well. how's it holdin up? miles? You seem to be in the know reference the Toyo/Honda's, you a tech?

Thanks Cornburner...

noticed yours is a 2004 as well. how's it holdin up? miles? You seem to be in the know reference the Toyo/Honda's, you a tech?

I manage a dealership. I used to have my ASE Master certification, but didn't take the tests this last time they came due, so it's since expired. I don't need it for this job, and didn't have the extra time to go and take the renewal tests. I more or less did it for personal satisfaction and bragging rights. :) I like working on cars as a hobby, but not as a carreer. Being around nearly every single make/model on the market and seeing what goes thru the auctions keeps me well "in the loop" as to what vehicles are having what problems. Our dealership deals in budget-priced stuff moreso than late model vehicles, so obviously we're seeing vehicles that are starting to show up with common problems, such as the GM intake manifold gaskets, the infamous Chrysler 2.7L V6 with its catastrophic failures, etc. and like I mentioned earlier, even serious problems with the beloved Hondas and Toyotas.

My Explorer has been holding up remarkably well. This is the first Ford product I've personally owned in over 10 years...I mainly drove Jeeps and Chrysler products, but I wanted a flexible-fuel vehicle when I replaced my Durango, and ChryCo didn't have anything that really tripped my trigger for what I wanted to pay. Their stuff came out a few years later, and I didn't want to tie myself to a huge vehicle payment getting something that new.

Mine has its little quirks that I've labeled "Ford-isms"...Not necessarily something that's failed, but just odd noises and minor nuisances. Things like the timing chain rattle when it starts up till it builds oil pressure, the transmission shifter that has all the precision of a wet twig, and the oh-so-stupid electronic throttle control. There's really nothing wrong with these things per se, but I'm not totally used to the way they are. Some ergonomics are a bit odd too, such as the seat heater switch, the rear wiper switch, and the inside door handles that are placed in a very odd location. Oh yeah...And my RDS display on the radio that seems to have a speech impediment. I usually don't get clear scrolling messages, but rather odd random things like "9BO 3.5 INGY" when it should scroll "93.5 WOZZ BOB & TOM MORNINGS AND CLASSIC ROCK ALL DAY" I think it's actually a problem within the head unit, and I can get a replacement for $100 from my buddy at the salvage yard, so one of these days I'm going to give that a try.

But, from a reliability standpoint, they seem very good. I've got 92,000 miles on mine now, and it's been decent. Nothing has really failed aside from a rear wheel bearing that was replaced before I took delivery of it. I noticed it when I first looked at it, and told them I wasn't going to buy it till that noise was fixed. I got a smokin' deal on it too...It had ~68,000 on it when I bought it a year ago, and paid $11,400 for it. Market price at that time was well into the mid $15K range for them, and some were doing more than what I paid at the wholesale auctions!

congrats on the buy!
My 04 has 31k and only problem is the rear end whine that i will get fixed once i get my extended warranty hopefully next week

Geez...You guys need to do more driving! I put on 24,000 since I bought it last March, and I really don't go anywhere! I work 12 miles from home, and just your various running around to the store, and weekend travel. It's only been out of state once, and that was just to the northern part of IL.

Geez...You guys need to do more driving! I put on 24,000 since I bought it last March, and I really don't go anywhere! I work 12 miles from home, and just your various running around to the store, and weekend travel. It's only been out of state once, and that was just to the northern part of IL.

:D no its ok..i'll leave it w/ low miles so when i sale it i can get more for it :confused:
i bought it w/ 24k i think like 4 months ago

just purchased a 2004 Eddie bauer Explorer... with NO owners manual.
Congrats on the new truck.
I have 36k on mine. Got it with 6k. Only problems has been rear the ABS sensor and I replaced the struts. I’d recommend a complete fluid change, oil, F/R Diffs, Xfr Case and trans fluid (yet to do mine but its next). After owning Jeeps for 12 years, this is one of the best 4x4 I have owned.

I manage a dealership. ..It had ~68,000 on it when I bought it a year ago, and paid $11,400 for it. Market price at that time was well into the mid $15K range for them, and some were doing more than what I paid at the wholesale auctions!

Interesting.. Just purchased mine, was actually out looking at a used Toyo Highlander when we stumbled into this one. Hadn't owned one since we bought a new one back in 1991. This one is a 2004 Eddie Bower, 33K miles for hair over $17K... NADA was over $19K, sticker at dealership was over $21K.. Felt like it was good deal, but yours looks even better!. This is probably the cleanest top/to bottom used I've ever bought. One owner, OASIS showed most/all scheduled maintenance done, and 1 minor warranty issue on front rotors/pads.

I was sceptical, as this dealership said they picked it up at an auction. Was surprised it would had to go that route to get sold. reports show no accidents/flood. undercarriage, power train, rear diff is dry as a bone. Maybe there's something I don' know about it. Dealer wants to sell a 5/60 Powertrain Warr for $1285, what you think? claims it's worth $2500 and their selling it for $100 over cost. My research it seems the 4.0 is relatively bullet proof, but the 5R55 has me a little leary.

There's lots of reasons why a vehicle ends up at the auction. Don't look at this fact as a bad thing. Dealers need to have enough stock to keep the lot full, and most the time, local trades just don't cut it.

If the warranty is pretty comprehensive, it might be a pretty good deal. Otherwise, look at getting a Wynn's Extended Care warranty. Best in the business, but I don't know if your dealership sells them. If they do, spend the extra money on it. Besides Wynn's and extended coverage right thru Ford, most other warranty companies aren't worth the paper they're written on from what I've experienced. If you can't or won't do repairs more involved than just regular maintenance, then I'd suggest a good extended warranty just for peace of mind in case something does give you problems in the future.

You'll be glad you got the Explorer instead of a Highlander. That vehicle is the original "computer nerd in lumberjack's clothing"...Essentially a Camry with a bloated SUV-looking body. No real truck capability to it whatsoever. Toyota really took bland styling to a whole new level with these too...There's only so much you can do with flat sheet metal and call it styling. Driving one of these on a daily basis would be the equivalent of eating oatmeal every meal for the next 5 years. Sure, it'll keep you alive, but after a few bowls of it, you're not going to be enjoying it too much.

My good deal happened just because of good timing, a vehicle that sat in inventory too long, and knowing the people at the dealership that sold it. If I didn't drive so darn much, I could probably still sell it for more than I paid for it after owning it almost a whole year.
I wouldn't want to though...I like it. If it ever got totalled in an accident, I'd probably come out money ahead!

You'll be glad you got the Explorer instead of a Highlander. That vehicle is the original "computer nerd in lumberjack's clothing"...Essentially a Camry with a bloated SUV-looking body. !

you got that right!, wife is a toyo and honda fan, but couldn't believe how plain the interior was (it was a limited), and the design looks like a funneled coors can. Even the redesigned Highlander was uninspiring to her. she love's this Eddie bauer... only time will tell on longevity. still, I don't see many mechanical complaints on the Pilot/Higherlander.. guess it's better looking vs. some reliability...

Back