• Register Today It's free!

98 Xlt Radio Removal

OLDJIMMYBONES

Reaction score
City, State
LI, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
hi, does anyone know how to remove the radio out of a 98 xlt?

the only thing i can find around here says about using, these keys with 4 holes, but i dont have the holes on my radio

also how ever you do it what can i use instead of how its supposto be done, because i dont have any keys to remove

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its anything like my old 95, it has 4 holes in it. i just used a bent metal coat hanger to remove the radio. just shove the hanger ends into the 4 holes and with a bit of wiggling it should come out.

also can i take the cd changer out of the console?

if its anything like my old 95, it has 4 holes in it. i just used a bent metal coat hanger to remove the radio. just shove the hanger ends into the 4 holes and with a bit of wiggling it should come out.

i read that in a thread, and bent a hanger in to 2 u shapes and went out to my car to realize there arent any holes, so i have no idea now

You took off the front panel already, right?

You took off the front panel already, right?

no i tryed but it feld like it was going to snap, where does it clip from?

i have the same exact car as you, so you'd prob know

i do know.. lol, there's two screws right above the temp controls, take those out.. and slowly pry off the panel, when its a lil bit off, unplug ur controls, like the rear wiper, cig lighter, 4x4 if equiped.. ect do u have a camera?

take those bolts out, take the panel off, remove plugs.. it should be pretty straight foward from there, ur new stereo should come with everything, you need an install kit and wire harness adapter (unless you know how to direct wire things, which isn't recommended for this) says ford anyways.. mines direct wired

i got the dash kit and a kenwood harness, i was just going to cut the wires and wire them together, i would get a harness adapter for an explorer but i just want this installed

What are you doing now? Hows progress?

not too good, i have to get some wire to extend the harness, and my girl had to take the car to work, but i have a hide away unit and its prity big so i have to put it under the seat or somthing so i need to extend the wires about 5 feet, i have a kvt819 and it didnt come with a harness so i bought a regular 6in kenwood 16pin harness so i got to go to home depot or somwhere to get wire to extend the harness longenough to go under the seat

but i got the face of the dash off with those 2 black bolts <- felt a little retarded that i didnt see those before

I know the feeling, don't worry about it. It happens.

oh, do i not have those 4 holes because i have the radio with the 6 cd changer? + i got the BROKEN cd changer out of the console, had to take appart the whole center console

thanks for all the help so far

Mine never came with the cd changer, I'm curious though.. do you have the sun roof too?
What engine? 4.0L?

i got the 5.0 awd, and i got a sunroof, i got the sticker that was on the car when it was 1st bought and it says moon roof but it i think its a sun roof (one slides and 1 lifts this does both......maby im wrong)

Who knows, who cares.. you got a freakin window roof! =P I want one so bad..

well on the carfax it said it was a company fleet vehicle, so i think it had close to all the options, but it dosent have the msg center and an alarm, but when i took appart the concole i there was a loose harness so i think maby somone took it out and replaced with the reg concole and maby i just dont have the alarm pad, or maby it just didnt have them. i just hope the sunroof dosent leak, my last car it was like there wasent even glass there, when it rained, i was getting wet

In my experience, if you don't have a certain option. Your truck still has a spot or wiring harness for it. Hell, you ever notice the 4x4 switch wire harness that goes to nothing behind your stereo panel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back