• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer Engine Swap

'01Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 2 door Ford Explorer
I was looking to swap out my 2001 Ford Explorer eninge which is a V6 engine and I was wanting to know what engine should the V6 be swapped out for that has good horsepower but fits a 2001 2 door Explorer.. If you can please let me know i would appreciate it a lot

Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum!
If you want a good bit of HP go with the 4.0 SOHC.

He should have the SOHC now...

The fastest and easiest swap would be to find a donor v8 explorer and swap in the 302...

So the V8 302 will fit in a 2001 ford explorer and also it will give my explorer better performance

I believe the 302 swap into a 4 door Explorer is fairly simple, but putting it into a 2 door takes some modifications but it has been done.

Ditto, follow the excellent example of Eric. If you start with a donor truck, there will be very little to get for your truck. Good luck,

2001 Ford Explorer Eninge swap

So ive been hearing that the 4.0 SOHC will be a good engine swap for the V6 i have in my Explorer now my question is will there be any modifications needed in order to make this engine work in a 2001 Ford Explorer or will the ening just bolt in fine the way it is with no problem

yeah the 01 should have the 4.0 sohc engine cause mine is an 01 sport and it has the 4.0 sohc engine

Yep, the '01 2dr Sport only had one engine available, the 4.0L SOHC. Even though the 4dr could have the 4.0L OHV, 4.0L SOHC, or the 5.0L OHV V8.

So, no mods needed to swap in a 4.0L SOHC, unless its from a different year or model vehicle. In that case, you may have to swap a few bolt-on parts from your engine to the replacement engine.

As stated in above posts, the 5.0L will swap in with factory parts. Just don't expect it to be a quick/easy/cheap job. Some people here have done the swap and have written about their projects with enough detail for you to know if its over your experience level (or budget) or not.

01 sport engine fitment

I tried to put an 01 Sport SOHC motor in a 4 door and found a lot of differences but mostly the crank sensor is on the front , where is it on the older SOHC motors ?????? I got a great engine that I don't think I can use in anything but a sport or sport trac . :(

Stock big block 351 / 400 cleveland

would a
Stock big block 351 / 400 cleveland fit in a 98 ford explorer??

Nope, different bellhousing pattern.

Actually the 351 Cleveland is the same smallblock bell housing, and only one year of 400 did too. All other 351 Modifieds and 400's were big block patterned.

But they are all too wide at the heads compared to the 302, don't waste the time. Headers are already too pinched for the 302, anything else is just worse, and requires custom fab work.

I have a 2001 explorer too and would also like to know if i can swap for some thing els i have a 4.0 vin code (e) 3/01 the q? Is wat other motor can i put in its place cuz my timing chain went un reparible can some one help me and yea its a 4 door

I have a 2001 explorer too and would also like to know if i can swap for some thing els i have a 4.0 vin code (e) 3/01 the q? Is wat other motor can i put in its place cuz my timing chain went un reparible can some one help me and yea its a 4 door

I've put a lot of thought into this and done a lot of research; by far the easiest thing is to just fix the timing chains, guides and tensioners and install a pre-oiler so it doesn't happen again.

If you need more power use a turbo or supercharger.

Anything is possible but most aren't worth the hassle.

Back