• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer stereo issues

Anthonyd2333

Reaction score
City, State
Canton Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford explorer eddie
Im having issues with my sound system in my 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer.

Ill play my music and all of a sudden the bass will cut out. Itll keep playing and the bass will come back in. Itll do this randomly.

Im assuming that the speakers are not blown because they sound fine. No crackling or distortion at all. Just a loss of bass. Just all treble.

My question is could it be a loose wire? Im thinking its not a ground issue because then I would loose all power. Also is there an amplifier built in somewhere?

Btw the sound system is stock that came with my Explorer. Any help would be great. Its quite frustrating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no experience with the factory amp but I have had plenty with others. When an amp is doing that it normally means that it is over heated. When it cools back down it comes back on. If this is the case than the sound hasn't changed at all while it is running. It is just turning off due to thermal protection. Now it could possible be due to a bad component in the amp that is causing the over heating issue. But I would say it is over heating from my experiences with other amps and pushing them too hard for too long. OH, under voltage will cause over heating issues too. So you might check how hot the amp is getting when it cuts out. Then check the input voltage as it runs. If it is dropping several volts when it "hits" then this might be the issue. This will also allow you check your loose wire theory too. Bad connections will cause voltage issues too. Remember Power = Voltage x Current. So the amp sees the same load at the speaker and has to increase the current to produce the same power since the voltage has dropped. This causes over heating because the current draw is so high.

Try this. Get a stop watch going and play it. See if the time interval between the bass dropping out till it comes back on stays the same sitting still. If it doesn't drop out while sitting still then I would check the connections, yes even the ground for the amp. The amp ground is separate from the ground from the battery... ie battery grounds to the chassis in the front, the amp will ground in the back to the chassis. So you can loose the ground connect to the amp and still have the ground for the rest of the car. If I was reading you right.

Yes some Explorers have an amp in the back passenger side behind the panel that runs from the back seat to the rear hatch. If you have a speaker on that one side closest to the door than you will have an amp driving it.

Sorry for rambling but things just came to mind as I typed and I didn't feel like editing it.

Orion13

Haha that wasnt rambling and thanks for the detailed description. Ill try out your theory tomorrow when I get home from work.

I am assuming there is some kind of amplifier since it supposed to be a premium sound system. i just didnt know where to locate it. Thanks again for the reply.

Haha that wasnt rambling and thanks for the detailed description. Ill try out your theory tomorrow when I get home from work.

I am assuming there is some kind of amplifier since it supposed to be a premium sound system. i just didnt know where to locate it. Thanks again for the reply.

Do you have a subwoofer in the truck? I'm going to guess that's the problem.
The factory amplifier on your vehicle is built into the head unit, therefore, if the amp is going bad, it's the head unit. However, the factory sub has a separate amp, and by what you're describing, the subwoofer amp has a bad connection somewhere. Assuming you have a sub.

Do you have a subwoofer in the truck? I'm going to guess that's the problem.
The factory amplifier on your vehicle is built into the head unit, therefore, if the amp is going bad, it's the head unit. However, the factory sub has a separate amp, and by what you're describing, the subwoofer amp has a bad connection somewhere. Assuming you have a sub.

I have never noticed. My wife has been driving it for the most part (kids) until recent. So ill check in the back for a sub. Im assuming its behind one of the side plastic mounts?

Yup, that's where it would be.
And do you have the DVD system?

No I don't have the dvd system. It would be nice for trips and kids.

Ok, tell me if you have the subwoofer, it's probably cutting out.

Will do. Ill check it out when I get home in a couple hours and report back.

I dont listen to a lot of music with heavy bass. Its just annoying hearing it cut in and out :)

Ok there is definitely a sub woofer. I tried to take the cheap plastic cover off and broke half the pins. Any advice?

Did you turn the music on to check if the sub works?

That's most likely the issue. The sub is loosing connection.
Could be many things.. Loose Power/Ground, Loose remote on.. speaker wires are loose on sub or at amp plug.. List goes on.

It works but it does cut out. Ill take ( break lol) the cover off and see if I have any of them issues.
Thanks for all your help.

If it cuts off when driving, there's a loose connection. I'm going to guess the wire hooked up to the sub itself is loose. Most likely, but it could be many things.

Back