I really need some input on limp home mode. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I really need some input on limp home mode.

tyger0ne9

Reaction score
City, State
new orleans, la.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04
i have a 2004 explorer very dependable til now i hope you all can help. here is my story i helped a friend jump start his vehicle and inadvertently my posi cable came while the motor was running. that was ok i put the cable back on and tightened it and i forgot to mention i needed a jump the same morning and my starter was dragging. anyway i took it to our shop(carpentry) and did the bearing on the drivers side all done and put together i went to start it and it started in limp home mode i tried to reset the computer for ten minutes and reconnected it and nothing not even a turn over nothing. all the lights work and the battery is not dead any help will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you needed a jump that morning, then just driving to work would not charge your battery. You would have to drive for hours on end for the alternator to completely charge a fully discharged battery. The good ol' test light might light. But it needs a charger and some time to recouperate.

limp home mode

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your post into its own thread in the stock 2002-2005 section. Limp home mode has a flashing overdrive light. Is that what you have now?

no on my model it is a amber open end wrench im thinking it needs a reset of somesort i have to get it diagnosed but the dealer wants 280.00 just for diagnostics anyway thank you for your response any other advice will greatly be appreciated

limp mode home

If you needed a jump that morning, then just driving to work would not charge your battery. You would have to drive for hours on end for the alternator to completely charge a fully discharged battery. The good ol' test light might light. But it needs a charger and some time to recouperate.

i tried my battery in another vehicle and it started it right up then i put it back in my 04 explorer and nothing not even the tell tale tick tick tick. anyway thank you for your response if you have any more suggestions it will be greatly appreciated

Newer Battery it started right?
Is it orginal? My guess it needs a battery, might also need a Alternator too (some times they go hand in hand).

Check the Voltage, with key off it should read about ~12.8volts, running 13.3V.
There is a lot of electronics and these trucks will do strange things if the battery is even close to going bad -imo.

When i swapped mine out, the store checked it as good but the Eye was black, and if you played the radio for an hour or so the battery was near dead. So i just put a new one in and all was fine.

Back