• Register Today It's free!

Dash Thump?

4.0blue98

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Ranger XLT
My 98 Ranger (4L OHV) started having a muffled rhythmic thump mid dash. Behind the radio/heater controls etc. Very confident it is not from the engine compartment. Also, not every trip and only seems to be during the cold temps (<20F). It does it for less than a minute or so when it is starting to warm up. If I sit and idle for 5-10 minutes to warm things up, nothing then I'll drive a few miles and stop at a light and I'll hear the thump thump thump in the dash.

I'm beginning to think it may be the radio since I have a real loud pop when I turn it on in the cold weather. I haven't tried to shut off the radio when it is occurring. That will be my next test if I can repeat it. Like I said it is muffled and doesn't happen all the time.

Anyone? :scratch:

sounds like cooling system thump due to trapped air or steam in your heater lines. There is a tsb on it. I had the same issue with my 96 4L ohv. Has your cooling system been modified? does your temp gauge fluctuate?

sounds like cooling system thump due to trapped air or steam in your heater lines. There is a tsb on it. I had the same issue with my 96 4L ohv. Has your cooling system been modified? does your temp gauge fluctuate?

Thanks for the suggestion. No modification to cooling system. Strangest thing is it only did it 3-4 times when extremely cold. Can't replicate it now. May have to wait til next winter and see if it happens again. I do have a flush planned within a few weeks.

Back