2000 Mazda b2500 4cycl 5 speed question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Mazda b2500 4cycl 5 speed question

constantine81

Reaction score
City, State
kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mazda b2500
I have a Mazda b2500. Its starting to bog down when driving. It doesn't seem to do it while its sitting and idling. You can rev the engine and it revs fine. There is a noticeable tick or slight peck which sounds like a lifter. When driving it you can tell a small bog issue in lower gears at low speeds but its not very prominent. At higher speeds between 50-60 mph its very noticeable to me.
There is no check engine light on. I have changed the plugs and wires and gas cap.The catalytic converter is removed and has a straight pipe in its place.I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and also replaced the air filter. I know the check engine light works also because it came on once before. The truck has 145,000 miles on it. And at 120k I replaced the timing belt.I was told that this could be caused by either a burnt valve or the charcoal canister is clogged or a burnt clutch. Does this sound like a burnt clutch burnt valve or clogged canister issue? If not does any one have any ideas. Ty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it could be a spark leak from one of the spark plug wires,, or the charcoal can, , if it was a burnt valve it wouldn't idle very well,,,

does the peck or tick sound like it is on top of the motor ? or inside ??

Yes its on the top. Sounds like a valve pecking. It was doing it loud but I run some sea foam threw the crank case last week and that quieted it down a bunch. I doubt that its the wires. Cause it was doing it before I changed the plugs and wires. I checked for vacuum leaks also yesterday. Every things like it should be. I was told I could take the canister off and spray about 3 cans of contact cleaner in it to clean it, just let dry out good before replacing it. If I decided to take the charcoal box off is there a place to get the charcoal to put back in it? Or can I just clean what's in it. If thus even sounds like what's doing it

a compression check would also help a bit, if a lifter is not working it will limit that,

the canister i might go to a junkyard and find one off another truck, i've never taken one apart,, so that i do not know,,
if you get one from a junkyard look for a truck that was in an accident, that way you know the truck was being driven and it ran properly before it went to the yard,, one that is just there and not hit, could have same issue

I'll try switching it. Is there a special line tool to get the fuel lines off , if so what's it called and do they sell them at auto zone or O'Reilly s

Both places have them,, just go in tell them you need a Ford Fuel line tool ,

there's a 2 ended tool, or a set ,,,

Replaced charcoal box and the flow solenoid attached to it. Still same problem.

Back