• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ranger Anti-Theft Light

Dodgewade

Reaction score
City, State
North Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger
I swapped my dash cluster from the standard Ranger to a Sport Trac.I replaced the dash lights with LEDs along with the headlight switch light and the hvac dash lights.
The night I swapped it (a couple months ago, after driving it from the back of my shop to the front it failed to start. Everything on the dash had lights as it should but it not not crank over. I raised the hood and moved some wires hot back in and it started.
A couple weeks ago after driving it to work, I got back in it to go to breakfast, it wouldn't start. Not cranking over, but all the lights was on. After spending a couple hours looking it up on the net, I went back out and tried a few things without any luck. Since I couldn't log on to any of the forums I'm on, I called my wife to get her to a search and while sitting in the truck talking to my wife it started.
This morning I went out to go to work, it done the same thing. Typically the radio fails to play. It shows the volume control being turned up, but no sound. My wife tried it around noon and it still didn't start. Swapped keys and it started. After starting it several times she tried the other key again, it started.
Now since changing the dash cluster, my Anti-theft light fails to work. It doesn't blink any. I changed the bulb tonight and it still doesn't work.
I really can't say what is wrong, but it seems it has something to do with the PATS system. I think the light worked before, just can't say for sure. It's hard to believe it has lost programming and then start later.
Anyone have an idea what I need to do to fix this? Could it be I need to get another key and let a locksmith reprogram all the keys? It is driving me nuts.

Thanks,

Wade

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year Sport Trac was the cluster taken from? Early 01 Job 1 or later 01-05. Your 2000 Ranger came with Pats B, the early 01 Sport Trac came with Pats B, but the later 01-05 Sport Trac came with Pats E, and so the anti-theft light was wired differently that's why you don't see it working.

This link should help you, its the same scenario the 03 Ranger had Pats E as the late 01-05 Sport Trac does.

http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~grant/ranger/gauge/ranger_cluster_theft_light.pdf

That is a very good link to help fix the Anti theft light.

Any clues as to why I have an intermittent starting opportunity?

I am not sure what engine do you have? Does it not crank at all, or just not fire up intermittently?

My truck has a 4.0. When this happens it will not crank over.

But it will start if you swap keys or it did before? It could be the Pats receiver possibly in your ignition, near the ignition cylinder.

Back