Fuel filter removal tool won't fit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filter removal tool won't fit

Trulyoldnavy

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Sport
I know, I know... ANOTHER fuel filter problem. However I did read through a lot of previous fuel filter questions and have not seen this issue addressed.

I am trying to replace the fuel filter but I can't get the removal tool (red aluminum one) to fit between the filter and the hose fitting. I have tried coating the fittings in penetrating oil and pulling the fitting back away from the filter. I can get one half of the tool in, but not both halves at the same time. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size line is that tool for?

If you can't get the entire tool into the fitting, sounds like you have one that's too big.

i always hae good luck with the cheap one at autozone and tap it in with hammer (gently)

I've heard horror stories about the inconsistent distant of that locking "lip" on the shaft from the filter body on different brands.
My only thought is the obvious...compare different tools to find one that's narrower/thinner body.

if you are using the right size, just keep trying. Sometimes they are REALLY hard to get in, especially on one that has been on for a while.

The cheap plastic tools work MUCH better than the metal ones in my experience. Maybe it's just an Explorer thing.

We had to spray mine with a releaser or something like that, we had the right size but there was so much gunk up there we jus thad to clean it out.

Just another note... I used the cheap plastic one and a metal one (different times) and used the ones that fit around the fitting.. Take the new filter out of the box and try fitting the tool around it.. ;) If it doesn't fit you need a larger one..

I have never gotten the remover tools to work. I just gave up trying to use the tools and remove it the right way. Now I take a good wire cutter and cut the filter off and don't ask me why but once the filter body is removed the ends left in the lines come out with the tools easy as Pie. Well at lest for me.

Now if you’re replacing it any way no harm done cutting it off next to the body of the filter as far as I see it.

just no matter how you take it off careful of spraying gas!

Just an update.
I ran out of time last weekend and had to temporarily concede victory to the filter. It looks to me like the issue mentioned by nobull. I have the correct tool size (actually bought 2 tools with 3 sizes when I picked up the filter just to be sure). It appears the tube neck on the filter isn't long enough for the thickness of the metal tools. I will be picking up a set of plastic tools this weekend. They appear (at least from pictures) to be thinner and should fit between the filter and the fitting.

Pick up this set from Autozone. You will use either the gray or the baby blue. KEEP FIGHTING WITH IT!

51Ks40z84uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Forget the plastic ones.....and the sissor type. Just spend a little more for these:
oemtool.jpg

Pull that cable away from the filter; slide the correct one of these on;push that line back towards filter while pushing the tool into connector;work it in with a slight little spin of the tool and that line should come right off.
Good Luck!

In my experience any of the tools made of metal do not work as well. With the plastic tools, you can really jam it in there, whereas metal only goes so far.

It took me a good 2 hours with the cheap metal scissor type...Plus it was raining and drenching my lower half as I tried to free it. Eventually the ends broke off and I thought I was screwed but it finally slid in. Those filters are a pain but it just takes patience...

It took me a good 2 hours with the cheap metal scissor type...Plus it was raining and drenching my lower half as I tried to free it. Eventually the ends broke off and I thought I was screwed but it finally slid in. Those filters are a pain but it just takes patience...

that’s why I now just cut them off to start with as it makes removing the left over ends easy and I am going to replace the filter any way so no loss but some times as I do not have to fight the removal any more! Still have to use the tools but for some reason its easier with the filter gone and just the ends left less then 5 minutes from start to finish any more but after owning this truck for 13 years I better have some of the things like that down by now LOL.

Isn't it funny how every time you want to work on the vehicles, life always wants to throw other priorities at you?

So.... I am just now getting a chance to go back to this. Bright and early this morning I set out again with plastic, scissor and aluminum tools. Sure enough, non of them fit fit. The issue was the bevel where the tube mated to the filter housing. Non of the tools I had would fit past that!
mqvae.jpg

I had had enough! I broke out the die grinder and modified the aluminum tool.
d2dQn.jpg

That worked like a champ. A few minutes later I was done. If only I had thought of that a few weeks ago.

Now on to the next in a line of seemingly endless issues......

. I have a few modded tools also and yup its like a never ending thing be it our ex's or even a new auto there is always some thing that needs to be done owning on is like living with a woman there always keeping you on your toes and handing you the honey do list so get used to it that’s life LMAO!

Drivers side under the front seats area on the frame. It is in a kind of shield or box and on the inside of the frame so you have to get under it to find and see it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't it funny how every time you want to work on the vehicles, life always wants to throw other priorities at you?

So.... I am just now getting a chance to go back to this. Bright and early this morning I set out again with plastic, scissor and aluminum tools. Sure enough, non of them fit fit. The issue was the bevel where the tube mated to the filter housing. Non of the tools I had would fit past that!
mqvae.jpg

I had had enough! I broke out the die grinder and modified the aluminum tool.
d2dQn.jpg

That worked like a champ. A few minutes later I was done. If only I had thought of that a few weeks ago.

Now on to the next in a line of seemingly endless issues......

It sounds like you have (had) the wrong filter on your truck.

The Ranger filter of that era was just like the Explorer filter except the Explorer filters had longer snouts (to allow the release tool to fit.) The Rangers used a different attachment mechanism, and didn't need the long snout. Other than the snouts, the two filters were identical.

Back