Tech Tip: Fuel filter change 07up Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tech Tip: Fuel filter change 07up Sport Trac

stylin99

Reaction score
City, State
Gastonia, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 5.0 Coyote Adrenalin
I just changed my fuel filter on the STA at 23000 miles for added safety with all the changes I'm about to make. I thought I'd mention it here for others who want to do it themselves.

There are literally no special tools needed. Just make sure to wear safety glasses and have lots of rags available for the fuel that will come out.

It's located on the front of the gas tank. Remove the 2 10mm nuts holding the black plastic cover over the fuel filter to get to it. There are 2 quick disconnect clips to figure out, so there's no more need for a special fuel line tool. (Thank you Ford!)

The fuel line is under pressure, so either release your fuel pressure (you can pull the fuse for your fuel pump, start the car, and let it run till it dies), or just be ready for the little short pressurized squirt of fuel when you disconnect.

The white clip , simply press in on the 2 tabs until it pushes to the other side. Pull the fuel line off. The clip doesn't come all the way off the line, just moves out of the way so the fuel line can come loose.

The red clip was a bit trickier to understand. So I pulled out my Ford technical manuals so I didn't break it. See posted photo below for a diagram. Once you have the clip pushed back per the diagram, pull the fuel line off.

Replace the fuel filter.
Put the clips back on.
Replace the plastic cover with the 2 nuts.
You're done!

ST_fuelfilter.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks.. I'm at 56k now so I'm about to change it, I did my mustang a few weeks ago with no problems, but needed to buy that stupid tool, I was hoping I had another use for it (this truck) but I guess not! LOL

So are you saying you can change it without releaing the pressure? Is the a cut off switch or something to unplug? or just that fuse?

eppd00

you should be able to use the inertia switch under the right kick panel to shut off the fuel pump.Run the engine for a few seconds to use up the fuel in the line

I don't know this system but my cobra if you let it sit over night the pressure in the fuel line drops and you don't get a spurt of gas.

yeah my mustang has an inertia switch in the truck, you unplug it, run it till it dies then change the filter..

Yep inertia switch is another way that works.

yeah my mustang has an inertia switch in the truck, you unplug it, run it till it dies then change the filter..

I was always told not to run an engine out of gas b/c is will f up the fuel injection. How is it kosher to kill the flow and run it till it dies?

I was always told not to run an engine out of gas b/c is will f up the fuel injection. How is it kosher to kill the flow and run it till it dies?

It's actually in the technical manual to use that procedure by Ford techs directly.

Maybe the older fuel injection systems were a problem, but today's systems are designed for it. It's the same thing as switching fuel injectors, or changing a fuel filter. Gas runs out... air gets in the line. The system purges it thru the engine on the first couple revolutions and you're good to go.

Basically at idle, if the engine runs out of fuel, it has nothing to burn, and therefore can't ignite. Pistons stop moving, and it shuts off. Nothing bad happens. If you run out of fuel at wide open throttle, that's a different story.

It's actually in the technical manual to use that procedure by Ford techs directly.

Maybe the older fuel injection systems were a problem, but today's systems are designed for it. It's the same thing as switching fuel injectors, or changing a fuel filter. Gas runs out... air gets in the line. The system purges it thru the engine on the first couple revolutions and you're good to go.

Nice. Thanks for the info!

eppd00

With the engine cold and idling, all you are doing is relieving the pressure. What they are referring to is running out while driving and the engine hot and under a load....causes it to lean out

I just changed my fuel filter on the STA at 23000 miles for added safety with all the changes I'm about to make. I thought I'd mention it here for others who want to do it themselves.

There are literally no special tools needed. Just make sure to wear safety glasses and have lots of rags available for the fuel that will come out.

It's located on the front of the gas tank. Remove the 2 10mm nuts holding the black plastic cover over the fuel filter to get to it. There are 2 quick disconnect clips to figure out, so there's no more need for a special fuel line tool. (Thank you Ford!)

The fuel line is under pressure, so either release your fuel pressure (you can pull the fuse for your fuel pump, start the car, and let it run till it dies), or just be ready for the little short pressurized squirt of fuel when you disconnect.

The white clip , simply press in on the 2 tabs until it pushes to the other side. Pull the fuel line off. The clip doesn't come all the way off the line, just moves out of the way so the fuel line can come loose.

The red clip was a bit trickier to understand. So I pulled out my Ford technical manuals so I didn't break it. See posted photo below for a diagram. Once you have the clip pushed back per the diagram, pull the fuel line off.

Replace the fuel filter.
Put the clips back on.
Replace the plastic cover with the 2 nuts.
You're done!

ST_fuelfilter.jpg

Your walk through helped alot! I just changed the filter with no problems, except I smelled like gas for 2 days. Thanks!

Awesome! Glad it helped. Just explain to people that you were born with gasoline in your blood. They'll understand the smell immediately if they are car nuts.

Thanks for the info Stylin99. I just stickied the thread for preservation.

How much is a gas filter and how often should it be changed?

Maybe $10-12. Ideally, every 30k miles or so, but most cars don't see problems with fuel filters until over 50k. It's a cheap part, so I try to change mine every 30k to ensure it's not clogged with fuel deposits.

I Wonder

Thanks for the tip. Mine's due for a change, and now I know where to look.

Regarding residual fuel pressure. The new returnless fuel systems rely on a tight seal on the gas cap and evaporative fuel recovery canister. Could opening the gas cap and/or the evap hose under the hood help?

i just changed my filter and it was easier than i thought. i pulled the fuse and started the truck but it wouldnt ignite fully. so i just pulled the filter and a small amount of fuel came out but i had my oil drip pan to catch it all. replaced the filter with a purolator and it fit right in. started the truck to check for leaks, no leaks, good to go.
thanks for the guide, that red clip was a little bit of a hassle but got it off nicely

Red clip is tough the first time, but your directions helped a lot!
Here are some pix for those having problems finding it, or looking for more info...

Where? Here!

Overview:

Cover: 10mm Deep Well Socket works best...

Once the output connection is released, the filter can be moved inboard to give you more room in dealing with the red clip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a after market fuel filter that replaces Ford's (GKI fuel filter part number FG1011).
I took it to Midas to instal the mechanic did not know how to take the retaining clip off the fuel line broke it, now it is Ty-wrapped, pissed off but lesson learned, i also had the maintenance manual which i totally forgot about, should have done this job myself. MAJOR LESSON get the proper/special tool to pop open the retaining clip.

Cheers .

Back