93 Explorer Charging System Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer Charging System Problem

mattbguitar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
I noticed that the charging light on my Explorer stayed on so I checked the running volatge at the battery. It was only about 11.6V. I know for a fact that the alternator is working because it has been tried on another vehicle. I have no idea where to start looking for a problem. One thing though, I noticed that the running lights both stayed on fine, but when I turn on the actual headlights, the drivers side light goes off completely.

Another thing, although it may be unrelated, the vehicle lacks alot of power when going up hills. I probably just need a new fuel filter though.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed that the charging light on my Explorer stayed on so I checked the running volatge at the battery. It was only about 11.6V. I know for a fact that the alternator is working because it has been tried on another vehicle. I have no idea where to start looking for a problem. One thing though, I noticed that the running lights both stayed on fine, but when I turn on the actual headlights, the drivers side light goes off completely.

Another thing, although it may be unrelated, the vehicle lacks alot of power when going up hills. I probably just need a new fuel filter though.

Any ideas?

A couple of simple things to consider as I don't have a manual at the moment. Check the output voltage at the alternator. As a rule, always check both ends of the wire. I it's better there, you've got resistance in the wire. Also try running a ground from the case to battery ground. Most alternators ground thru the case. Again, added resistance between the engine and the ground. Check the ground post of the battery for voltage. If you read more than 50mv, that ground is bad. If I have time when I get home, I'll go thru my manual and see I come come up with anything else.

i just went through a similar thing. truck wouldnt charge. after replacing the alt, battery, battery terminals, starter relay, running a ground to the alt, all new charge wire, and even OEM wiring harness with plugs. my truck STILL wouldnt charge.

ended up being a bad ignition relay....? i still dont get the reason why, but our trucks alt dont just charge the battery when the engine is on. the ignition relay has to inform the alt also that the motor is on, and to charge the battery. to me, that sounds like complicating things alot more then they need to be, but the fact is, ford decided they liked that idea.

not saying the same issue is what your dealing with, but if you get to the end of your rope replacing EVERYTHING, and it still doesnt work, try it. it took me weeks to fix this issue till i figured this out.

one exception though. my charge light never came on at all. and the voltage was getting so low, the truck stranded me a few time's, so it really should have.

i just went through a similar thing. truck wouldnt charge. after replacing the alt, battery, battery terminals, starter relay, running a ground to the alt, all new charge wire, and even OEM wiring harness with plugs. my truck STILL wouldnt charge.

ended up being a bad ignition relay....? i still dont get the reason why, but our trucks alt dont just charge the battery when the engine is on. the ignition relay has to inform the alt also that the motor is on, and to charge the battery. to me, that sounds like complicating things alot more then they need to be, but the fact is, ford decided they liked that idea.

not saying the same issue is what your dealing with, but if you get to the end of your rope replacing EVERYTHING, and it still doesnt work, try it. it took me weeks to fix this issue till i figured this out.

one exception though. my charge light never came on at all. and the voltage was getting so low, the truck stranded me a few time's, so it really should have.

Relay is about the second cheapest thing you can replace, so go get one. There are about 8 relays with the same part # in the box and at $6 each, you might just consider replacing them all. Cured an ABS problem I had last month. Light woudl come and go. Replaced the power relay and it's been fine ever since. Also fixed a blower problem a few years back.

Can anyone tell me where the ignition relay is located?
WELDTRON

Where is the relay located?

Under the hood on the passenger side.

make sure you check the water level in the battery before you do anything else. My system wasn't charging , checked the fluid...topped off all the cells and bam... back in business . The cells (water level) should be right up to the plastic lip:usa:.

Back