2006 explorer, gas cap and check engine light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer, gas cap and check engine light on

clearwaterms

Reaction score
City, State
near chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 xlt v6 4x4
I have a 2006 ford explorer with ~42K miles. The check engine light and gas cap light are on. I took it to autozone and they ran the code, and said it was a loose or missing gas cap, and sold me a replacement. I installed it, they cleared the code, it was great. The lights both stayed off until the next time I went to put gas in it. After it had been refueled and running about 5 minutes later the light came on again. The gas cap light stayed off. I took it back to autozone, they ran the codes and cleared them and said it was excessive vapors, but had no idea what caused it (please remember that autozone is a parts counter, not mechanics) It was fine again, until I went to put gas in it again, now the CEL and gas cap light are both on again.

They do not turn off after a while, I have reseated the gas cap to confirm its tight, it clicks.

Fuel Mileage and performance are unchanged. I am going to take it to a different autozone to actually get the code in the next day or two, but would like some input from enthusiasts as hopefully you guys have seen this problem before.

vapor system failure? Do you over fill the tank - as in keep going after the auto shut off? I have a friend who's F-150 throws a code every time he tops off the tank.

vapor system failure? Do you over fill the tank - as in keep going after the auto shut off? I have a friend who's F-150 throws a code every time he tops off the tank.

i was thinking the same thing. I didn't overfil the tank last time and it never turns off until I have it cleared at the auto parts store. I was wondering if it's the charcoal canister is filled with fuel. I will be going to a different auto parts store tomorrow and get the code and report back when I get it.

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

On my 2005 Explorer, I cleared the CFC light by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. 5 days later, while driving the computer screamed and Low Oil Presure message came on and engine shut down. I restarted engine and it ran fine and no messages. Went to my favorite mechanic. He found no codes were set so could not determine any problem. What now?

Back