2001 sport air bag replacement (cosmetic) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 sport air bag replacement (cosmetic)

sinergy

Reaction score
City, State
jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer
I would like to replace my air bag on the passenger side of my truck. The bottom left corner has a broken mount that keeps the skin on and it flaps. It also has splits in the dye so I want to get a new one.I know the whole deal about disconnecting the battery. I've taken one out of another explorer out of the junk yard, but the lady said that there are different serial numbers for them. Does it make a difference which one I get? They all look the same. I would guess that if it has the same connector it would work right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've looked in the salvage yard for an airbag for my 2001 Sport Trac. I pulled one from a 2001 Sport, but haven't installed it in my Sport Trac yet. I plan to put it in this weekend. From what I can tell, the electrical plug is a different size on the 4 dr Explorers than the one on the Sport. Not sure if the plug on the one I got matches my truck.

The part # for a Sport Trac airbag is different from the # for a 4dr Ex, but physically they sure look the same.

I guess I'll just have to take mine out and see what it says on the back.

This is the # on white tag on the back of the one I took out of the '01 Sport in the salvage yard. 30336796A Above that in smaller letters is T1ON086O30100. I think the T1O........ number is the individual serial #.

There are several on e-bay, in several colors, from $35-50 plus shipping. I searched for "Sport Trac airbag" and the 30336796A # is on them, so the Sports and Sport Tracs use the same airbag.

It's already done. I'll post pics soon. It didn't matter about the code I reused my old solenoid and just bought a new bag with the faceplate, took out 7 nuts put the new one on the solenoid and put the nuts back and the 2 securing screws

Back