01 Explorer sport stalls at cold start up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Explorer sport stalls at cold start up.

TXDMERC73

Reaction score
Hi i am a Explorer Noob! i have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 with a 4.0 SOHC engine, it starts up when cold in the summer time but in the winter time it keeps stalling and i have to drive it like a "clutch " till it warms up. does anyone know whats wrong with it? i will be on this forum with many questions and answers.

my Explorer when i bought it in 2006 it had 138,000 miles now it has 177,387 miles on it and it still runs strong !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi i am a Explorer Noob! i have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 with a 4.0 SOHC engine, it starts up when cold in the summer time but in the winter time it keeps stalling and i have to drive it like a "clutch " till it warms up. does anyone know whats wrong with it? i will be on this forum with many questions and answers.

my Explorer when i bought it in 2006 it had 138,000 miles now it has 177,387 miles on it and it still runs strong !

These engines have issues with the intake manifold gaskets. When it warms up they expand and seal.

Oh i see i cleaned the MAF sensor by the air filter and changed the IAC on top of the intake, also i replaced the throttle body sensoe where the valve is that opens and closes between thte filter and throttle body so i guess i need to replace the intake manifold gasket this summer.

whats the ECT sensor where is it?

Lower intake manifold gaskets are where I'd put my money.

Back