swapping transmission from e to s. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swapping transmission from e to s.

merc2dogs

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie
I've always been a manual trans guy, because of the simplicity, but my knee is gone and have a hard time holding the clutch for any longer than a gear change. It's bad enough I dumped my old sportster (bought new in 77!) while waiting for a light (Talk about embarrassing!) So I picked up a sport trac with an auto trans, and two weeks after I sold the old reliable explorer, the trans died.....

It's an 03 sport track, seems I have an 'E' transmission, all I can find around here are the 'S' types.
Would it be a direct bolt up/plug in/drive away swap, or would it be more involved?
This transmission -has- been changed before, it has the junk-yard hole punch in the pan that's been brazed shut, so I do not know what trans came originally.
two junk yards gave me an interchange list, but stated that for '03 it was a 5r55s, looked at everything listed as matching, and the pans didn't match what I have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a dipstick and tube? no dipstick=5r55s/w with a dipstick= 4R55/5R55E

Yep, have a dipstick.

Problem is that every junk yard and even online source I've checked, keeps pointing me at the 5r55s version and they just don't look the same as what I see.
What I'm thinking is that I have a very early '03, or a very late '02 titled as an 03.

Frustrating because every junk yard I've been to has a bunch of the S versions, but I've only seen a single one that matches a visual inspection of mine, but it was a 2 wheel drive instead of a 4x4.

You have a 5R55E and a S will not work. And a 2wd to 4wd requires transmission disassembly. What is the date of manufacture on tag in door frame? If the date is 6/02 or later it will be a 2003. Good luck.

Then it is an 03, date code is 8/02.
Making another junk yard run tomorrow, they say they have an 03, so hopefully it matches up.
Would be nice if the s type would work.

And thanks for the info!

Back