• Register Today It's free!

Hard to start after gas fill up

CDNexp

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited 2012
Hi, I had my explorer limited for 6 weeks now. Recently everytime i fill gas it took about a few extra seconds cranking before it runs. After that it runs normal and starts normal untill the next fill up. I am not over filling and tried different gas stations. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Watch the gas

Had an incident back in June where I filled up and the gas caused me, along with others all sorts of problems. Store Owner was cutting it with something.

Got the local paper involved.

I had to use Lucas Fuel Treatment and just burned it out. Problem went away about 1/2 a tank.

I get the best mileage with citgo
worst with Sam's club.

I don't think it is a gas issue because it only happens with first start after each fill and at differemt gas stations.

I don't think it is a gas issue because it only happens with first start after each fill and at differemt gas stations.
Haven't had that problem but agree that it isn't caused by the gas you are using. You mentioned that this has been happening recently. That to me indicates that at one time you didn't have this issue, so something changed.

Peter

Perhaps signs of a failing fuel pump or clogged filter?

Yes it happened the last 3-4 times... I can't think of anything changed

Hi, I had my explorer limited for 6 weeks now. Recently everytime i fill gas it took about a few extra seconds cranking before it runs. After that it runs normal and starts normal untill the next fill up. I am not over filling and tried different gas stations...
CDNexp,

I recommend taking it in and letting the dealer take a look. For additional help, I suggest calling one of the great agents at the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673.

Cory

Thanks Cory. I got an appointment for Monday.

Betting it's something to do with the vapor recovery system.

Let us know how you make out.

I think you are right GWA1. They replaced a valve or a sensor related to that ( i'll know exactly what it is once i get the paper work by mail). It also helped fix occasional rough idling i had when driving in slow traffic.

worst with Sam's club.

I also get the best mileage with Citgo. How weird. Shell gives me the worst.

I think you are right GWA1. They replaced a valve or a sensor related to that ( i'll know exactly what it is once i get the paper work by mail). It also helped fix occasional rough idling i had when driving in slow traffic.
You mean they didn't give you the invoice when you picked up the Explorer? I have had 2 issues repaired under warranty and was given the invoice (work order) before I left.

Peter

I had to pick it up from the showroom receptionest because I went after 7. She said they will mail it md. I'll follow up with rhem next week

I had to pick it up from the showroom receptionest because I went after 7. She said they will mail it md. I'll follow up with rhem next week
Okay that explains it. I hope that the repair corrected the problem. I guess you'll find out soon enough. Happy motoring.

Peter

No not yet. I am going this Saturday for oil change and l will ask for the papers. I'll let you know.

I talked with Ford, they replaced vapor management valve. Since then i had no issues .

Had an incident back in June where I filled up and the gas caused me, along with others all sorts of problems. Store Owner was cutting it with something.

Got the local paper involved.

I had to use Lucas Fuel Treatment and just burned it out. Problem went away about 1/2 a tank.

worst with Sam's club.

I agree, Citgo has been the best gasoline for me so far. I tried BP and Shell and their gasoline is just not adequate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Part Number for Vapor Management Valve

Do you have the part number for the "Vapor Management Valve"...my 2011 Explorer is doing the same thing...would this be covered under the emissions warranty? I have less than 50,000 on my vehicle.

Back