Tube front bumper build

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
So I've had all this tube stockpiled like a chipmunk stashes nuts, weather it great, work is slow so no more excuses to get some things done on the truck.

Thought I'd tackle building a front bumper with some 1.75 x .120 wall HREW tubing. Took me a good 3 tries to get the main bar the way I wanted it but I expected that. The stinger was gonna be 1.5" tubing but my first screw up looked like it would make a good stinger so I went with it.
Pretty simple design, it will have 2 supports going in between the frame rails in the front and 2 more side supports going to the outside of the frame rails.
Still figuring out how I want to integrate a receiver, ideally i'd like the frame horns finished off like Froaders with the corners tapered.
I'd also like to make stinger supports that tie into my shock hoops, other than making a hole in the grill the path is clear on the drivers side but the air cleaner duct is in the way on the pass. side.

Here's a couple pics so far:

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 6,066
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 5,005

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I've had all this tube stockpiled like a chipmunk stashes nuts, weather it great, work is slow so no more excuses to get some things done on the truck.
Great start DB!!

This is you, stashing tubes like a chipmunk

2922022990071732209ICMnAu_ph.jpg

I have been wanting to do a new bumper. It looks good.

I like it a lot!

Can you just get the pass side bar to the core support, then make another tube bent around the intake?

Attachments

• DB_1_Bumper.jpg
    DB_1_Bumper.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 12,856

I have a couple options to look at, I can make the stinger supports go through the grill and core support than angle down and tie into the top of the frame instead of the shock hoops. Option 2 would be to go high and notch the bottom edge of the hood and core support to clear the tubing then tie into the shock hoop support bar. Option 2 would be a bit of work to not make it look like a hack job so that may be out. I'll have to look at it again tomorrow and play around with it.

If you put the tube that close to the fender on the side the fender and tube will make contact with each when you flex the truck out. I put mine nece and tight and the will rub a bit.

Looks good.

Ooooooohhh!

Looks good Dave.... :thumbsup:

Thanks guys...Matt, yeah it's just mocked up but I'll probably move it down and forward a bit so it has room to move.
The pic kinda throws you off too, it actually wraps around the outside of the body instead of under it.

Not much to report yet, i've been going back and fourth on how I want to mount the bumper to the frame. Going to try a couple things this week and see how it looks. If I don't get it finished this before I go wheelin' this weekend then I'll get back at it next week.
On a side note, I had to hack off my rear bumper since my shackles were hitting it and binding up my leaf springs. I'm either going to extend the mounts to clear the shackles or come up with something entirely new.

Yes and make sure you paint them light blue
eek5noes2.gif

Cool shackles, i'll probably just extend the mounts another 1/2" and call it good;)

Some progress...kinda.
I liked Froaders bumper design since it finishes off the frame horns nicely so I bought some 1/4" masonite from Home Depot to make templates and make my own version.
This will mostly be built off 2" x .250 wall square tubing which will be a hitch receiver. It will have the tapered ends on the sides, ramp up on an angle up front with the receiver poking through in the middle. All the plating with be 3/16" except for the top which I might use 1/4" plate if I ever put a winch there.
This will give me a nice platform to weld the tube work to, it's gonna be A LOT of cutting and welding.

I get a pic posted tomorrow once I get all the templates cut.

What are your plans for the tube work?

You know, I never did photoshop what I wanted to do. I'll do that after I eat dinner and post it up. :)

The plans are to just come off the side of the frame and up below and around the lights. I don't want a hoop around the lights so I'll probably bring another support from the end of the bar (outside the body) back to the frame. Similar to IZwack's old one.

Sounds nice and simple, just the way it should be;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks very IZ-a-licious:thumbsup:

Back