rear wheel bearing cost

galbre

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
All,
My explorer just turned 100k miles and I had to have the rear driver's side wheel bearing replaced. It is my only car so I have to keep it running. Local mechanic charged me two hours labor and had the bearing pressed at a separate shop. The charge for pressing was $199.

Has anyone else had this done and does this seem reasonable? Seems kind of steep to me but I dont have bearings done too often. With his two hours labor ($60/hr) the total came to $341.

He said the front wheel bearings are even more expensive. :(

Thanks,
Gregg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We just had both rears changed in our explorer. The total parts was $294, and labor was about $238. I don't think the fronts should be more expensive, they simply bolt on, although it's a bit more difficult than simple....

$199 for pressing seems pretty high. An hour labor would be more like it IMO.

You could save money diy'ing it, but this just looks like too much of a pain to me.

Thanks for the reply. So if I understand you, it sounds like your labor was $119 per side and the bearings were $147 each. Mine was $199 so it does sound high.

Something about the math doesn't look right. 199 to press the bearing off/on plus 120 for two hours mechanic time equal out to 319, and you paid 341, that only leaves 22 for the part cost plus the shops mark-up?
Something doesn't make sense here. It might have taken a grand total of 30 minutes to press those bearings if the operator of the press was a novice. I think that the cost for "pressing" included the cost of the bearing plus your mechanics markup. Even so, the end price is on the high side.

A local garage around me wants an hour labor to press everything at $70 bucks.

Something about the math doesn't look right. 199 to press the bearing off/on plus 120 for two hours mechanic time equal out to 319, and you paid 341, that only leaves 22 for the part cost plus the shops mark-up?
Something doesn't make sense here. It might have taken a grand total of 30 minutes to press those bearings if the operator of the press was a novice. I think that the cost for "pressing" included the cost of the bearing plus your mechanics markup. Even so, the end price is on the high side.

Unfortunately on the bill the mechanic didnt break out the individual parts and "pressing". He only put two charges. He put the press shop's charge at $199 and his labor for two hours at 120. The rest was NJ 7% tax.

man, it cost me 800 bucks to get my rear wheel bearing replace, whats goin on here

so far I spent $340 on quick struts, hubs and bearings. $25 for a hub puller, it will be $70 to get them pressed and I will have to give my buddy a few bucks for helping me, lol But it will be over $500 when I am done for those 3 things on both sides, def cheaper than the dealer I work at wanted.

A local garage around me wants an hour labor to press everything at $70 bucks.

So it would be $70 for the pressing plus the cost of the bearings then? Do you know what the parts would cost for the one rear wheel?

I paid $144 a piece for the quick struts and $56 for both sides hubs and bearings.

Cant you get new hubs with the bearing already pressed in?

I had one done last year. It was around $350 with a hub assembly. I talked to the mechanic about the work. The biggest task is removing the old bearing from the nuckle. He uses a sawzall to cut the bearing prior to pressing it out. Others use an angle grinder to cut the old bearing out.

I can see the cost of pressing the bearing going higher than expected. If a shop is not properly equipped it's going to take them longer than it should to remove them....and therefore you pay.

I had mine done at my machine shop here and saw first hand what a ***** they were.

Knowing what I know now I'd have a shop give me a price up front for pressing the bearings. If they can't do it in the time they estimate then they can eat the overage.

If the $199 charge for pressing also included the bearings it sounds about right. Rear bearings for your truck seemed to run between $40-$70 each. More if a new hub was included. The 2 hr charge to remove the knuckles, get them to the shop, returned and reinstalled sounds reasonable as well (1hr each side).

Your initial post doesn't say anything about there being any parts charged or provided by you. Some have said that many shops that used to press bearings will now only do them if you buy the bearings from them.

So $199 to supply bearings and press them in sounds not totally unreasonable. Your mechanics charge of 1hr/side @ $60/hr also seems reasonable. To get a better view, call a dealer and ask for an estimate to replace both rears. It will be way higher than $340!

Here is a good DIY on whats involved in doing the rears:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251915&highlight=rear+hub

The front parts will cost more $$$ depending on where you get them from. Do some searching for parts prices online and you will see a wide variation (from under $100 to almost $200 each). Plus installation labor. Again get a quote from a Ford dealer to compare with the estimate from your mechanic.

Here is a good DIY that shows whats involved in doing the fronts:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194002&highlight=wheel+bearings

Back