Where does this Vacuum line go?

russeld

Reaction score
City, State
Mississauga
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer
94 ford explorer 4.0 V6 4X4

hi there if you were to facing your car the air box on the left has two lines. where does the line on the left hand side go?

please email me with tips and pics

russeld82@yahoo.ca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll bump this for you and offer that one of them goes to the "vacuum motor" which is in your air intake hose close to where it attaches to the exhaust manifold. The other goes to the vacuum source, but I can't tell you exactly where:confused: Hopefully someone else will chime in with the full details...

...The second hose goes all the way around the back of the engine and connects to the multi-port (octopus) vacuum connection...It is located at the rear of your engine on the drivers side...You will see 3-4 other vacuum lines connected there...I hope this helps...:D

...The second hose goes all the way around the back of the engine and connects to the multi-port (octopus) vacuum connection...It is located at the rear of your engine on the drivers side...You will see 3-4 other vacuum lines connected there...I hope this helps...:D

the left hose is not that long to reach to the back of the engine...????

I'll go take a look at mine and see where it goes. Update you in a few moments.

Update: Looks to me like it turns around towards the front of the vehicle and goes under the battery tray somewhere. Time to break out the Hayne's. :p

Update 2: Hah, alot of good the Hayne's is... Step 5 ".....Label and disconnect the two small hoses from the upper case half and remove the upper half and the air cleaner filter."

Doesn't tell you what they are, No diagram for the airbox itself. It only shows the 1995+ 4.0L Pushrod and 5.0L V8 airboxes. Man I miss my Chiltons. :/

...That would be going to your cold air intake tube just behind the passenger headlight...Rick had already mentioned this location for the first hose...;)

*snip* one of them goes to the "vacuum motor" which is in your air intake hose close to where it attaches to the exhaust manifold *snip*

I totally missed that. Thanks Rick. And thanks tbars4 for pointing that out. :D

....No problem, and your welcome...:D

I'll go take a look at mine and see where it goes. Update you in a few moments.

Update: Looks to me like it turns around towards the front of the vehicle and goes under the battery tray somewhere. Time to break out the Hayne's. :p

Update 2: Hah, alot of good the Hayne's is... Step 5 ".....Label and disconnect the two small hoses from the upper case half and remove the upper half and the air cleaner filter."

Doesn't tell you what they are, No diagram for the airbox itself. It only shows the 1995+ 4.0L Pushrod and 5.0L V8 airboxes. Man I miss my Chiltons. :/

OKAY NOW I THINK MY MECHANIC WHEN HE REMOVED ALL THESE HOSES HE MAY HAVE SCREWED THINGS UP.

OKAY SO WHEN YOUR FACING THE FRONT OF THE CAR THE AIR BOX ON THE LEFT HAS TWO HOSES FROM THE BACK of it. THE ONE ON THE LEFT IS A SHORT HOSE WITH A "T" FITTING ON ONE END AND THE OTHER CONNECTS TO THE AIR BOX. THE HOSE ON THE RIGHT IS LONG AND GOES RIGHT TO THE FRONT AND DISAPPEARS TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BATTERY TRAY. IT SEEMS TIGHT AND CONNECTED.

THE LEFT HOSE IS THE ONE I'M CONFUSED ABOUT. ITS ABOUT 10 INCHES LONG SO IT NEEDS TO BE CONNECTED TO SOMETHING ABOUT 10 INCHES AWAY AND THEREFORE CANNOT GO TO THE BACK OF THE ENGINE AND OTHER PLACES THAT FAR AWAY FROM IT.

or

DID MY MECHANIC MIX THE TWO HOSES UP?

MY CAMERA IS BUSTED AND IF I WEREN'T DRIVING THIS TRUCK I COULD PROBABLY AFFORD ANOTHER CAMERA ...lOl BUT ANYWAYS CAN SOMEONE TAKE A PICTURE OF THE AIR BOX WITH HOSES CONNECTED AND IF POSSIBLE WHERE THEY LEAD TO?

ANYONE HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH CONSTANT BAD IDLING AND MISFIRING?

IT FEELS LIKE I HAVE A LEAK ON MY INTAKE MANIFOLD AND THE IDLE NEVER AND I MENA never SITS STILL! ITS ALWAYS DIFFERENT. ALSO FEEL SLIKE ITS MISFIRING BUT THIS IS AN ISSUE ONLY WITH IDLING NOT WHEN ITS REVED PAST 1000 rpm.

ANY MORE INFO OR WEBSITES THAT TALK ABOUT HTIS KIND OF ISSUE AND FIXES THAT WILL BE MUCH APPRIECIATED.

ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE A BROKEN 4x4? HOW MUCH IT COST TO FIX IT? WHAT MAY BE BROKEN?

ANOTHER THING I WANT TO LEARN ABOUT IS DIFFERENTIAL FLUID FLUSH. HOW DO YOU GUYS DO IT?

SOME PPL HAVE SAID THAT IF YOUR VACUUM LINES AR ENOT CONNECTED THE FAN FOR THE BLOWER MOTOR CANNOT BE ADJUSTED IN TERMS OF HOW FAST YOU WANT IT TO BLOW. RIGHT NOW IF THOUGH IF ITS OFF IT WILL BLOW AIR IN LIKE ITS ON THE 1ST SPEED SETTING THEN CRANKED ON THE HALF WAY POINT IT BLOWS THE SAME AND THEN AT THE HIGHEST SETTING IT WILL BLOW THE FASTEST WHICH I DON'T MIND BUT I HATE THE FACT THAT I CAN'T HAVE CONTROL OVER THE SPEEDS. ITS FRIGGIN ANNOYING...I DON'T KNOW IF ANY ONE IS AS PICKY AS ME AND HAS HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR A 94 EXPLORER BUT I HATE WHEN LITTLE THINGS DON'T WORK...... NOW COULD THE UNPLUGGED VACUUM LINE BE A CAUSE FOR THE FAN'S SPEED TO NOT WORK THE WAY IT WAS MADE TO?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

...Posting in all CAPS is considered yelling...:hammer:

...Look from the front, toward the rear passenger side of your motor...You will probably find a hanging vacuum hose...If you don't see it there, continue looking from that area to the rear of the motor...
...You could also look from the octopus (mentioned earlier), at the vacuum hoses going from it, around the rear of the engine toward the passenger side for a disconnected vacuum hose...

...I myself, if I could not find it, I would take it back to the mechanic...:dunno:

The one on the right (when you are facing the box) should wrap around the rear of the engine, and connect into the multi-port fitting. The one on the left, goes under the battery tray, and connects into the intake hose behind the passenger side headlight.

One question. Are you the original owner of the vehicle? If not, who knows what a previous owner of the vehicle could have done to the hose. If you are the original owner, the mechanic may have disconnected it while servicing the vehicle, and not been able to locate it's origin.

Differential fluid changes are easy, but difficult at the same time. Unless you don't mind spending a few hours on the ground or getting gear oil allover you, I would take it to a shop to get it done.

The easiest way I've found is to get a pan, place it under the differential, remove the bolts, remove the plate, let the oil drain out, clear any debris, replace the gasket, pour the required amount of oil into a thin plastic bag, cram the bag inside the diff housing, bolt it back up, torque it, take it for a spin, Good as New.

(DISCLAIMER: for the above paragraph. This takes time & patience, and a lot of wrestling with grimey stuck on parts. I do not recommend anyone do this unless they are prepared for the repercussions that may result from. I do not take any responsibility for any damage that may result from this advice.)

The one on the right (when you are facing the box) should wrap around the rear of the engine, and connect into the multi-port fitting. The one on the left, goes under the battery tray, and connects into the intake hose behind the passenger side headlight.

One question. Are you the original owner of the vehicle? If not, who knows what a previous owner of the vehicle could have done to the hose. If you are the original owner, the mechanic may have disconnected it while servicing the vehicle, and not been able to locate it's origin.

Differential fluid changes are easy, but difficult at the same time. Unless you don't mind spending a few hours on the ground or getting gear oil allover you, I would take it to a shop to get it done.

The easiest way I've found is to get a pan, place it under the differential, remove the bolts, remove the plate, let the oil drain out, clear any debris, replace the gasket, pour the required amount of oil into a thin plastic bag, cram the bag inside the diff housing, bolt it back up, torque it, take it for a spin, Good as New.

(DISCLAIMER: for the above paragraph. This takes time & patience, and a lot of wrestling with grimey stuck on parts. I do not recommend anyone do this unless they are prepared for the repercussions that may result from. I do not take any responsibility for any damage that may result from this advice.)

excuse the caps...

what do you mean cram the plastic bag into the differential?

i hope you don't mean leave it in there?

sorry i can't picture that part.

When doing your diff fluid change. Place the pan under the pumpkin as he said. Remove all the bottom bolts and loosen the top bolts. Start removing the cover from the bottom. The partially threaded bolts will keep the cover from coming all the way off and allow a more controlled flow of gear oil. I would hate to have you try and pop the thing off all at once and get soaked...

As for your other questions, try our search button. Those topics have all been discussed many times.

True, Rick. I have a larger drip pan so I can just pop it and let it drop. But, your way is much easier, for the average joe/driveway mechanic.

Back