Sputtering, shaking, etc. 99 Sport SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sputtering, shaking, etc. 99 Sport SOHC

MemphisPoke

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT
I got a hell'va deal on a 99 Sport with a 4.0 SOHC, with 101,000 miles and I thought I would fix it up for my daughter. I believe it had been sitting up for a while and when I test drove it, it was missing and running real rough. I THOUGHT I knew what to do.
I have changed the Plugs (really bad) and the Wires (not so bad but needed to be changed anyway) and this did not give me the desired smooth running engine like my other Explorer (same year, but an XLT).
When in idle the engine is shaking like crazy. I mean really shaking. Like a engine would if it had a 3/4" racing cam in it. When driven it acts like it is missing and/or a valve is stuck. If you floor board it....it will run fairly smooth (note I said fairly smooth, not great), with plenty of pick-up and go.

Any ideas as to what to check next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long did it sit? Check the gas, it doesn't last very long without added stabilizer so before you go changing parts make sure it has good fresh fuel.

The fuel was one of my first thoughts and it has fresh fuel in it.

Have you checked the firing order, I had the same situation a while back.....stupid me crossed a plug wire and all hell broke loose. Also check the Mass airflow sensor it could be dirty..........good luck keep us posted!

Firing order was checked and re-checked and re-checked. I thought the same thing.

I haven't checked the air flow sensor. Humm, that might be a place to start. But wouldn't that cause a "check engine" light? I have no light showing.

Enthusiast sites have few knowledgeable people if any

I have never been to an enthusiast site with such little usable technical information available as this one. The V6 sohc engine has been around for over 10 years, and I haven't seen a soul on this site that knows jack **** about them.

This is a prime example of the internet, lots of opinions, no fact or hard information.

I dare anyone here to prove me wrong.

kind words?

I have never been to an enthusiast site with such little usable technical information available as this one. The V6 sohc engine has been around for over 10 years, and I haven't seen a soul on this site that knows jack **** about them.

This is a prime example of the internet, lots of opinions, no fact or hard information.

Thanks for the "kind words". I'm sorry that my comments did not help you resolve your misfire problem so you could pass your inspection. There's a saying: "You get what you pay for". In your case nothing for nothing is a fair exchange.

CEL & MAF sensor

Firing order was checked and re-checked and re-checked. I thought the same thing.

I haven't checked the air flow sensor. Humm, that might be a place to start. But wouldn't that cause a "check engine" light? I have no light showing.

Only if the MAF sensor voltage output is outside of its range. It is very difficult for the PCM to determine that the MAF sensor is faulty. The PCM compares the MAF sensor output to the TPS voltage to check for reasonableness (i.e. throttle plate closed and max airflow would probably trigger a DTC).

I suggest that you perform a compression check to reduce the number of variables.

Oh great an internet troll rears its ugly head.

You are guaranteed as much accuracy from this site as you paid for it: Nothing.

How about improving the situation by lending some of your expert advice instead of spitting down on those who are supposedly inferior to you.

Edit: Always miss the quick replies when I don't refresh the page...

Dear Streetrod, thank you for your efforts to date on troubleshooting my 2001 Explorer. As of yet, not a single thing that you have suggested has pointed me in the direction of any real technical breakthrough. I still have misfire codes, and lean/rich condition. I stooped our correspondence because the driver's side timing chain guide became much too loud to drive the vehicle without risking valve interference. I too the vehicle out of service and performed a complete timing chain replacement with an offshore timing kit. (4 chains, tensioners, guides, casettes, etc...). Now I am reasonably sure that the cam timing is correct as the engine runs like a raped ape at WOT but I haven't worked out any of the bugs I started with. Forgive me for being a jerk with my comments, but can you not understand my frustration? Can you also not understand that although you are not dealing with an ASE certified Ford driveline technician, I am certainly proficient enough to perform an engine removal, disassembly, reassembly and installation. If I could not understand instructions or the the architecture of a modern fuel injected engine, I would not currently be driving this vehicle, or wasting my time on this site.

I would be happier if someone could simply refer me to a successful troubleshooting technician in my area and stop bullshitting me with spark plug, and O2 sensor replacement suggestions or Maf cleanings. This is simply tiring.

You are right you do get what you pay for. However, this is not the only enthusiast site that I post to, I have a V-8 SHO Taurus, and an SVO Mustang, and I can state emphatically that even with a much more limited production, and smaller knowledge base, those two enthusiast areas have provided me tons of more useful information for problem solving than this site has on the issues that affect my vehicle.

So feel free to flame me.

my 98 does the same thing. but damn will that thing get it!

Not for nothing, this poor clown Memphispoke got two lame-assed responses to his thread in July and nothing since. I make one foul comment and the whole site will be pissing on me shortly. F-ing drama queens.

Keep it classy folks

Sounds to me like frustration from an unresolved problem. I understand that I can sympathize with it. On that same token we don't have that many experts who frequent the place who are willing to invest their valuable time on every small issue.

Let's try to keep the thread on topic. No need for drama.

The reason you hear canned responses a lot of the time is because they are often the best place to begin. There is no way to know where a person falls on the experience range. You would be on the higher end, but novices often request help here instead. Being novices they probably neglected to check those simple issues before posting. After that if a resident expert doesn't pick up the subject the thread dies off.

We would be glad to have you share your knowledge and help improve the quality of the forum.

Back