No Reverse on A4ld, Everything Else Works | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Reverse on A4ld, Everything Else Works

kennedy1995

Reaction score
City, State
victoria bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger 4.0 4x4
I just finished a full rebuild of my a4ld following glaciers threads on here and now I don't have reverse. :thumbdwn:

The transmission is sound, everything was replaced and everything was in spec. but I have no reverse. The only issue I can think of is that I did not properly spec the Low/Reverse servo I just reused it and put on the new D-ring. With the new D-ring I found that it was hard to compress into the chamber, I think this might cause it to jam and not compress the reverse band.

I also used the reverse band that came with this transmission and the servo that came in a different transmission.

I am going to have a friend tow the truck out then I'll take it for a drive to run it through the gears and see if reverse works after.

Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a4ld reverse servo seals d-ring or double lip- Which to use?

Which reverse servo seals to use?

I just finished a full rebuild of my a4ld following glaciers threads on here and now I don't have reverse. :thumbdwn:

The transmission is sound, everything was replaced and everything was in spec. but I have no reverse. The only issue I can think of is that I did not properly spec the Low/Reverse servo I just reused it and put on the new D-ring. With the new D-ring I found that it was hard to compress into the chamber, I think this might cause it to jam and not compress the reverse band.

I also used the reverse band that came with this transmission and the servo that came in a different transmission.

I am going to have a friend tow the truck out then I'll take it for a drive to run it through the gears and see if reverse works after.

Thanks for your help!

Reverse servo seals to use?

I installed Transgo valve body kit and new D-ring seals. Still takes up to 60 seconds to engage reverse, with a SERIOUS clunk, then works ok. Everything else works fine.
Do I need a new reverse servo and which seals?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks...Tom.

If you haven't driven it yet make sure you pay attention to 3rd gear when you do, it shares the direct drum with reverse. If you have no or slipping 3rd and no reverse the problem will be with the direct drum or its circuit. A loose center support bolt under the valve body or a cut sealing ring on the center support (easy to do!) could be the cause.

If 3rd is good and solid check the servo and band, just to make sure the piston can push the band on the drum. If all is well here I would think its going to be in the valve body.

With that kind of delay it acts like a leak in the reverse circuit, in the valve body it could be many things. Like a missing check ball or incorrectly installed valve or a missing retainer. You will just have to double check your work especially if it wasn't doing this before, because that means its something you did, and it might have something to do with the shift kit.

The servos should all be the same from one to the other, reusing the band is not a big deal if the band looked ok.

Make sure you do not reinstall the big spring under the servo, it don't need it, it just adds to the delay.

A4ld reverse engagement delay

My apologies to Kennedy1995, I did not intend to hijack his thread. Maybe between us we can solve our problems with the A4ld.
Anyway, my thanks also to James for the information.
I did install the Transgo kit, installed new solenoids, new reverse servo D-rings, and new filter and Mercon V fluid. The previous fluid was very dirty but no odd smell or contamination.
Before, it sometimes would not engage reverse at all, and sometimes just took a long time and engaged with a severe metallic-sounding clunk.
Now it just takes between 20 to 60 seconds to engage with a mild clunk and jerk, but always eventually engages.
Maybe another fluid change and leaving out the large servo spring will help.
Which servo seals would you suggest--standard D-rings, Viton D-rings, or double lip D-rings?
Thanks'
Tom
BTW- My truck is a 1991 Ranger Ext. cab 3.0V6:)

I managed to fix my issue very easily, I had my friend help me rebuild the transmission and he forgot to torque the reverse solenoid cover down properly.
Once it was properly torqued reverse worked great.

I am worried about second gear when I had the truck on blocks testing out the gears it did not want to shift into second it had to go to 3rd then back to 2nd. I will take her for a actual drive on the road once I get insurance and see how it shifts.

Reverse servo cover torque

Did you mean reverse solenoid or reverse servo cover torque?

What is the proper torque to use for the servo cover? I believe it should be 90 in/lbs.

What is the proper torque for valve body bolts and pan bolts?

Which reverse servo piston rings are best for sealing:
Standard O-rings
Viton D-rings
Double lip D-rings?

Tom.

I think it is supposed to be 90 inch pounds but I just tightened it snug enough that I know there won't be any leaks. That is the cover that I tightened, for the o-rings I used the only double ring kit I can get in canada it's from king o matic.

very weak reverse

Problem
94 Explorer with a A4LD transmission seems to slip in reverse and actually coasts down the driveway in reverse faster than when engaged in reverse. The car will move in reverse but very slowly...like something is slipping. All forward gears seem to be working great.

Background
In March 2013 I rebuilt the valve body following Glaciers suggestions and instructions. The only problem experienced with reverse before the rebuild was a "clunk" going into reverse. The new seals on the low reverse servo eliminated the jerking or clunking (I think). That rebuild solved all shift problems for over a year including a very smooth reverse.
I am concerned one of the parts or seals were of poor quality and not durable. This VB rebuild included the following kits from TransmissionPartsUSA.com:
1. p/n 23933 A4LD Transmission Shift kit valve body kit
2. p/n 56947-02K A4LD Transmission large boost valve kit
3. p/n 56947-01 Manual valve index sleeve
4. p/n 23256K A4LD Transmission reverse servo piston D-Ring kit
5. p/n 23128 A4LD Transmission reverse servo cover gasket
6. various pan gaskets, filters, Check balls and of course Mercon V fluid
Thoughts and suggestions please!

very weak reverse

More information...
I parked the 94 Explorer in the flat garage last night so I could work on it. (Normally it sits on our sloped driveway). I started it and dropped it into reverse...walla it reversed just fine and did so around the block. Could this be a fluid level or parking brake (or lack thereof) issue? I have a 16 y/o driving it and naturally it works great for dad.

Suggestions?

A4LD reverse slow to engage 1991 ranger 3.0L

Reverse gear is still slow to engage. It will always engage eventually-- within 10 to 30 seconds-- and then with a clunk and jerk.
I have done all the things suggested-- valve body kit, changed oil to Mercon V, installed new D rings, etc.
Is it possible that the governor needs to be cleaned or replaced? Everything else works as well as reverse once it has engaged. It goes back to slow engagement again after stopped and cooling down.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again, Tom.

Well A4LD tranny enthusiasts I’m back with more questions and need help. The 1994 has now lost reverse completely and simply coasts down the driveway. About the same time we lost 2 and 3rd forward gears. Leading up to this event, one had to let off of the gas pedal to make the 1 to 2 shift. The boy was in a hilly area with the car full of friends and tried backing up a hill. Something gave up internally. He drove it home 90 miles stuck in 1st at 40 mph....good lesson but now what? The fluid is showing signs of wear but where to begin?

If you haven't driven it yet make sure you pay attention to 3rd gear when you do, it shares the direct drum with reverse. If you have no or slipping 3rd and no reverse the problem will be with the direct drum or its circuit. A loose center support bolt under the valve body or a cut sealing ring on the center support (easy to do!) could be the cause.

If 3rd is good and solid check the servo and band, just to make sure the piston can push the band on the drum. If all is well here I would think its going to be in the valve body.

With that kind of delay it acts like a leak in the reverse circuit, in the valve body it could be many things. Like a missing check ball or incorrectly installed valve or a missing retainer. You will just have to double check your work especially if it wasn't doing this before, because that means its something you did, and it might have something to do with the shift kit.

The servos should all be the same from one to the other, reusing the band is not a big deal if the band looked ok.

Make sure you do not reinstall the big spring under the servo, it don't need it, it just adds to the delay.
Hello, I know this is old thread but I have the same issue, but there can be a problem with checkball in reverse and high clutch as it shifts
3rd gear in really high rev. But my question is about valve body checkballs because it has a variant with only converter clutch solenoid but the checkballs I think does not correspond to ATSG manual as this one is Ford Sierra 2.0 for european market. But problem is that there is more checkballs should I follow the atsg manual?

Thanks.

Back