2002 Explorer blower motor-resistor help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer blower motor-resistor help

sdh0001

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6L V8
I have an 02 4 door 4.6l with the electronic climate controls. When I start up the car and turn the fan control to any speed except the very highest, my dash lights dim a bit and it seems like the motor is jammed or shorted. The moment i switch it to high, the motor kicks on, then I can go to all the different levels and it works fine.

So is there a resister pack I need to replace? Should I replace the blower motor? (If so, is there a post that explains how its done)?

Any help would be great!

I'm worried other things may short out if on low speeds there is a short.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I saw this post. Assuming is is the resister module is gives me enough info, but if I need a new blower motor do you know if there is a breakdown how to install it? In other words, does the whole dash have to come out? thanks

I have an 02 4 door 4.6l with the electronic climate controls. When I start up the car and turn the fan control to any speed except the very highest, my dash lights dim a bit and it seems like the motor is jammed or shorted. The moment i switch it to high, the motor kicks on, then I can go to all the different levels and it works fine.

So is there a resister pack I need to replace? Should I replace the blower motor? (If so, is there a post that explains how its done)?

Any help would be great!

I'm worried other things may short out if on low speeds there is a short.

I have the same/similar issue for a while on my 03 EB V8 with electronic climate control. The blower doesn't really blow until I turn it up all the way to high. In this really cold weather often the engine also needs to be warmed up a bit. On my car the air bag light dimly glows along with the other effects you saw. I haven't been able to track it down either but I can tell you it's a cold weather issue. In the summer you'll forget about it again until next fall. So far my car hasn't exploded because of it.

Blower motor or resistor problem

I'm having an issue with my 2004 Explorer, the fan won't blow for the driver/passenger but the auxiliary fan for the back seats does work. So are there 2 blowers or what? My fan won't even blow on High. Here is the link to my original post
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316588

I had the same problem on my 01 sport trac. The fans would only work on the highest settings. It turned out to be the blower motor resister a 16 dollar part for me and a couple of hours time. I found a you tube video from 1AAuto.com that walked you through it. The resister was rusted out. Not hard to replace at all.

I have the same/similar issue for a while on my 03 EB V8 with electronic climate control. The blower doesn't really blow until I turn it up all the way to high. In this really cold weather often the engine also needs to be warmed up a bit. On my car the air bag light dimly glows along with the other effects you saw. I haven't been able to track it down either but I can tell you it's a cold weather issue. In the summer you'll forget about it again until next fall. So far my car hasn't exploded because of it.

Claus,

My 03 is having the exact same problem as yours with the airbag light also. See thread with my symptoms at the bottom.

I have NOT found the solution yet.

Rob

Back