Ham Radio Guys | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ham Radio Guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard, Gary!

Bwana Bob, WB2VUF

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks!

Thanks for the weclome! :)

Gary - KB9VGD

Checking in -

KC3CKY

Licensed since 11/13, commercial radio technician since 2003. No home gear, took it all out (I never use it since I'm never home).

I'm a commercial brat when it comes to gear. Not a single one of my radios has VFO, and nearly all of them require PC programming.

Mobile:
11 Meter - Cobra 19 Ultra III
2 Meter - Vertex Standard VX-4205 (136-174)
70Cm & Business - Motorola CM300 (403-470)
County Fire - Kenwood TK8180 (450-512)

See more here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408726

Portable:
2 Meter - Motorola HT1250 (136-174)
70Cm - Motorola HT1250 (403-470)
Fire & Business - Motorola XTS1500 (450-520)

Sounds good. Now we all know where to send our stuff for repair. ;)

Newbie Tech just got my sign.

KG7PKQ

73 ;-)

Congrats on the new ticket! You have any gear yet?

Congrats on the new ticket! You have any gear yet?
Thank you
Yes. Baofeng UV 5R plus for now. My main goal was better field communications. Several of the guys I wheel with are Hams too.

I have one of those as well. Almost can't go won't for the price!

K5GLB, Gary, Myrtle Beach, SC
Technician June 19, 2014, General June 28, 2014

Yaesu ft-60R
Yaesu FT-890 - not connected yet. Putting Fan Diploe in attic this week. Still have to fish wall
Yaesu FT-8800 R for mobile - ordered yesterday

Anyone have pics of installation in 2014 Explorer?

Gary

K5GLB, Gary, Myrtle Beach, SC
Technician June 19, 2014, General June 28, 2014

Yaesu ft-60R
Yaesu FT-890 - not connected yet. Putting Fan Diploe in attic this week. Still have to fish wall
Yaesu FT-8800 R for mobile - ordered yesterday

Anyone have pics of installation in 2014 Explorer?

Gary

Wow, welcome Gary! You haven't wasted any time! Nice set of radios. I just put an 8800 in my Focus this year.

Thanks Joe,

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport. I really wanted the Kenwood D710A, but the remote head was a lot larger than I wanted, so I looked at the Yaesu 8800.

Our club sometimes gets donated equipment and offers it as a silent auction for the members. That's how I got the FT890. Just using the FT-60R now for checking in on the nets and with a mag antenna when travelling. Can't wait to get the Ft-890 up and running and the 8800 installed in the Explorer.

Space is kinda tight in my Focus, so I installed the 8800 head on a flexible shaft bolted to the seat bolt on the passenger side. Still haven't found a better place for the mic other than the cupholder, and the radio is velcro-ed to the carpet under the passenger side dash.

My 8800 should be here Tuesday, but it'll probably be next weekend before I can try and get it installed. Although the Explorer is big, finding a good place to put it isn't easy. Once I get it installed, I'll post a pic.

My 8800 should be here Tuesday, but it'll probably be next weekend before I can try and get it installed. Although the Explorer is big, finding a good place to put it isn't easy. Once I get it installed, I'll post a pic.

I'm with you on that. Most cars, no matter the size, don't have the most space in them anymore. Although the LIDO mounts are probably the best, I found a cheaper arm to mount my radio head on. Something like a vent mount would have been nice, but I don't have standard vents. It's just not that easy anymore. Looking forward to seeing the install.

Joe,

I wasn't aware of the LIDO mounts. I looked at them online and they do have some pretty good options. I'll have to dig a little deeper.

Off on a trip for now.

Thanks,

Gary
K5GLB

KB0NAC here in Minnesota.
I have:
Kenwood TH-78, my first radio
Yaesu FT-8900 in the mountaineer
Baofeng uv5ra just because.
Just gathering parts to setup APRS unit with the following.
IC-229
Nuvi 350
Open tracker T3-Mini on order.

KB0NAC here in Minnesota.
I have:
Kenwood TH-78, my first radio
Yaesu FT-8900 in the mountaineer
Baofeng uv5ra just because.
Just gathering parts to setup APRS unit with the following.
IC-229
Nuvi 350
Open tracker T3-Mini on order.

Welcome! We have almost the same setup! TH-78A was my first radio, NOT currently working, FT-8800 in my car,
and a uv5r as well.

Back