How many miles is too many to tow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles is too many to tow?

Hello. I have a 2002 EB v6 with a tow package and a coleman bayside camper. I have 117k miles on the ex and have towed the camper probably around 2k miles with no problems. I get the trans oil changed every year.

I live in PA and have a dream of doing a national parks vacation. Yellowstone,Tetons,CO. It'll probably be around 5k miles round trip. Am I asking too much of the ex? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only concern is how much stuff you plan to cram in/on the Explorer and camper. The the total weight isn't too bad you should be fine. I assume the Explorer has no current issues. Just do a full service ahead of time. I do mine a few weeks before leaving so I can make sure there are no new issues, leaks etc.

Change everything, oil/filter, ATF, air filter. Consider fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, all dependent on length since last change. Check the brakes. Top off or change all other fluids. Then plan on changing oil/filter and ATF upon return. Check fluid levels at each and every stop.

Mine had 250k and I took it there a couple years ago. Ended up blowing a head gasket, it got warm a couple times but never really overheated. My tow combo is a bit heavier then I suspect yours will be. Gear and trailer about 9000 lbs. Truck as is weighs almost 5400. I probably had another 800-1000 lbs of extra gear I usually don't carry. That's over 15,000 lbs combined.

Could have been the 105 degree temps with wide open throttle up hill for 15 minutes at a time. Or the wide open throttle up hill at 9500 feet elevation that pulled me down to 15 mph.

Neither a situation you will run into. Have fun. That's a great trip.

I'd give the rear end a good once over. Definitely change the diff oil if you haven't done it recently (many never do). Inspect shocks and tires.

Around 25k miles ago, the dealership did something to the transfer case. Is this the same as the rear diff?

No, the transfer case is for your front axles when engaging 4 wheel drive.

Can I drive the back of the truck up on those ramps to change the rear diff oil? I read somewhere that says the car should be level. Not sure how I'm supposed to get under the car without it?

Just drop the spare tire.

Be sure your vehicle is current on maintenance and the best tip drive the vehicle like you want drive it again tomorrow. Don't think it will accelerate like it does without a trailer. If you are nice to it when you tow and take care of it you should be fine. My tow rig (2000 F250) has 201k on it and my father in law's tow rig has 350k and I would not hesitate to take either across country.

Have fun!

Thank you all for your feedback. I just changed the rear diff oil and it went easier than I thought. I am diligent on the maintenance. I have the transmission oil changed ever year. I love hearing about vehicles with 200-350k miles. You rock!

I'm thinking about changing the transmission cooler. I have no doubt that the current one is working, but it's now 12yrs old. If I do this trip it'll be 14yrs old. I don't want to be that far from home to have any problems. Is this a DYI job, or should I let the transmission shop do the work? Thanks again.

I was just poking my head around and spotted the transmission oil cooler. It's very easy to get to. Has anybody installed a 2nd cooler or replaced the factory one with a larger one? If so, what did you buy? Thank you.

What year Bayside? Is this one of the newer highwall models (up to 4500 lbs), or the older standard height (up to 3600 lbs)?

The better question would be: How much does your camper weight, loaded to camp?

Its a 2001 Bayside. The old kind. It weighs around 2600lb empty. But after I load up the tongue weight plus other stuff, I'm probably pulling around 3600-3800lb. I've towed it twice up to the ADKS. Around 800miles round trip each time.

I had a scare on my last towing experience. I went up an 18% grade road. There was no signage at the bottom warning me of the danger. I was terrified. I started smelling burning oil near the top of the mountain. I went home a different way.

I'm very pleased with the towing abilities of the Explorer. Outside of that last experience, the vehicle handles very well. The Rocky Mountains are a lot different than towing on the east coast. I want to overprotect myself. If anybody upgraded their transmission cooler, I would like to know which one you bought.

Back