• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer won't start.

brock2280

Reaction score
City, State
erie pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer
I have a 2002 ford explorer and it will crank but not start. I have replaced the battery, plugs, wires, fuel filter. The pump is kicking on and I have spark. Any suggestions out there? I have also checked the inertia switch, and when hooked up to the OBD I dont get any codes....Please Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello I don't know if this will help but when I had a simmilar problem it was the key not playing nicley with the computer

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Your vehicle uses the OBD-II system. You said that the fuel pump is turning on. How much pressure is in your fuel rail?

Check your fuel pressure. Just because you hear the fuel pump, doesn't mean it's pumping the correct pressure. I just had the same issue you're describing, had a bad fuel pump (no pressure....and yes I could hear it kick on when I turned my ignition on), and also a bad coolant temp sensor which affects the ECU on the vehicle in the amount of fuel/air it delivers.

You may also want to clean your MAF and IAC...easy to do both.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will test the fuel pressure and get back with you guys. (thepotroast) should i spray electrical cleaner on both ends of the MAF and IAC plugs? or is there another way i can do it. thanks again for replying so quickly great site first one i joined for this.

I have the same problem as brock2280, but the car starts sometimes. It always starts when it's with a mechanic. After it refused to start 2 weeks ago, we got it to the mechanic who kept it a week. It started everyday. I then went out-of-town (300 miles). Worked fine the whole way - stopped to get gas - it started right up. Spend the weekend driving different places. No problem until we were packed up ready to go. Refused to start. Turns over strongly, it just doesn't catch to actually start. We had to rent a car to get back home. My parents are taking the car to a mechanic there, but that mechanic is also saying that if the car starts everyday for him, there's nothing he can do. Is there anything besides the above that I should look for?

I have the same problem as brock2280, but the car starts sometimes. It always starts when it's with a mechanic. After it refused to start 2 weeks ago, we got it to the mechanic who kept it a week. It started everyday. I then went out-of-town (300 miles). Worked fine the whole way - stopped to get gas - it started right up. Spend the weekend driving different places. No problem until we were packed up ready to go. Refused to start. Turns over strongly, it just doesn't catch to actually start. We had to rent a car to get back home. My parents are taking the car to a mechanic there, but that mechanic is also saying that if the car starts everyday for him, there's nothing he can do. Is there anything besides the above that I should look for?

Would be worthwhile to check/clean all electrical connections (battery terminal posts, cables, etc).

the Gauge is reading 150 on the fuel rail

sorry i meant 150 psi in all the cylinders. i have done everything possible to get this to run. I have fuel, spark, and it it mechanically sound. how do I check relays if they are bad? And could it have anything to do with the cam sensor? or any other sensor that would prevent it from starting.

ok now I have found that I have no compression in cylinders 4, 5, and 6. I heard this might be the timing chain, from what I have read in other threads this could be a very bad thing...What are you guys thinking? Please give me feedback I am ready to rip my hair out!!

Left cam rotation

I'm afraid that if you've lost compression on all of the left bank cylinders that you may indeed have timing chain failure. For an easy confirmation remove the oil filler cap, shine a light in and rotate the crank. If the cam doesn't move then either the upper left chain has failed or the lower front chain has failed. If you still have compression of the right bank, then you can eliminate the lower front chain as a possible failure.

Forgive my ignorance on this motor, but how does a timing chain have anything to do with no compression?

Timing chain & compression

If the timing chain for one bank breaks then the camshaft for that bank cannot rotate. If the camshaft doesn't rotate then the valves don't open and close. In order for there to be compression the intake valve must open on the intake stroke and both the intake and exhaust valves must be closed on the compression stroke.

is it automatic or manual transmission? if it's manual transmission try you and your friends pushing it and then popping the clutch.

Back