Check Charging System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Charging System

Fordy55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Yesterday I was driving, and the "Check Charging System " message popped up on my message center and also a light came on. It went away seconds later, but then came back two more times but they went away after a few seconds. This used to pop up often, and when my car was getting another problem fixed at the Ford Dealership they replaced my alternator (few months ago).

Today when I was driving a heard the beep (the beep that goess off when there is a message or low fuel level), but no lights came lit up on the dashboard and no message came up. I heard this beep a few times...

Any ideas what the beep is or why it said Check charging system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first guess would be a failing battery, second would be corrosion build-up, and third would be worn cables (since you had the alternator recently replaced, it doesn't make the list). Check your battery's voltage when off, cranking, and running. Then inspect it for cracks, leaks, bulges, or fluid level (if it is serviceable). Along with that, check the terminals for corrosion buildup, as well as the ends of the cables going to/from the battery, alternator, and engine block. Then also check ground cables for corrosion, as well as verifying there are no split, cracked, fractured, or cut cables in any of the above. That should give you a good baseline to start with. Good luck.

Tom

My first guess would be a failing battery, second would be corrosion build-up, and third would be worn cables (since you had the alternator recently replaced, it doesn't make the list). Check your battery's voltage when off, cranking, and running. Then inspect it for cracks, leaks, bulges, or fluid level (if it is serviceable). Along with that, check the terminals for corrosion buildup, as well as the ends of the cables going to/from the battery, alternator, and engine block. Then also check ground cables for corrosion, as well as verifying there are no split, cracked, fractured, or cut cables in any of the above. That should give you a good baseline to start with. Good luck.

Battery Voltage with multimeter = CHECK
Cables were replaced 2-3 weeks ago = CHECK
Corrosion = Check
Tightness = Check
all the wiring = Check

Maybe a belt problem? I'm not too good with engines so I don't know how to check the belt. I heard that might be the problem...

Have you scanned your Explorer for diagnostic trouble codes?

Tom

My check charging comes on to and I replaces the cables terminal and had the battery check and alter. Check yet it still comes on any help would be great thanks

check to make sure your batter cables are tight. Last time I had work done at a dealership on my Fusion they didn't tighten the cable and I kept getting the message when I would hit a bump.

DB04 and Fordy55,, what fixed the problem?? This forum only works when we follow up with solutions to our problems

not sure if this is relevant or not but , i heard that same beep twice and it was driving me crazy, i found out my back hatch wasn't closed securely and every time i went over a bump it would beep but wouldn't say door ajar it was weird..also when i was low on brake fluid when i would floor it or go over a bump i would hear the same beep but no message displayed. i refilled brake fluid and it went away. Both situations it was the same beep as stated in first post. sorry if this is off topic.

Update.. 2005 Explorer V8 XLT Battery light on and The "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" on the message center was on after using a refurb from Auto Zone
AutoZone alt. was returned,, I was getting a full charge, but i don't think it was talking back to the truck to turn the the battery light off in the truck even though everything else was working, meaning 14volts and charging.. got a full refund..
took that money to the Ford dealer and got one from them..
Part # F8OZ-10V346-CARM This one had a 3 terminal connection I believe the AZ one only had a 2 terminal connection, even though the cable from the truck had only two wires the green and orange one.. The middle connection was not being used i guess.. any way all is well..

Got 14 Volts on the B+
Got 14 Volts on the Batt terminals
The "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" on the message center is off
The Battery Light is off as well..

Back