• Register Today It's free!

How good is Auto 4wd?

exploration1997

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Okay so I'm helping a friend look for an Explorer. I found this listing: http://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/3929214403.html and it doesn't have regular 4wd. If you look, the only options are 2wd, 4wd auto, and 4wd low. in NH we get a good 6 inches of snow here often. Would she be slip sliding around? This is assuming she'll be also adjusting her driving habits for the weather.
For a point of reference, I have the AWD with my V8 Explorer, and it's badass in the snow. So long story short, will the Auto 4x4 cut it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i drove mine in the snow with auto 4x4 just be warned with auto 4x4 there is no 2 wheel drive funtion just 4 auto, 4 high and 4 low there is a way to bypass the auto 4

auto4 is more than capable to handle 99% of the snow we get up here in new york, only had to drop it into 4x4Lo on a handful of spots over the 6 years ive owned my truck...and that was just to get unstuck

For a point of reference, I have the AWD with my V8 Explorer, and it's badass in the snow. So long story short, will the Auto 4x4 cut it?

+1 my V8 AWD was glued to the road this past winter. Last winter was the worst we had here in IN. in the last 5 yrs.. Woke up one morn to 13.5" :eek: and she rode like there was nothing there !!!

the auto will kick in when it sense the rear tires slipping. you can defeet it by doing whats called "the brown wire mod". i drove my sport for years with the auto function untouched. later on, i did the b.w.m., i would leave it in auto for the winter, and use the b.w.m. in the summer.

i drove mine in the snow with auto 4x4 just be warned with auto 4x4 there is no 2 wheel drive funtion just 4 auto, 4 high and 4 low there is a way to bypass the auto 4

The auto 4 was bypassed at the factory on this Explorer.

Its a 96, they had the early version of the control-trac t-case. They were 2wd/auto4wd/4lo. I used the auto4wd for years in my 99(which had no 2wd option, only auto4wd/4hi/4lo) before changing to a different t-case to give me the 2wd option. The auto works great in the snow. It kicks in almost instantly so its very stable.(provided she doesn't drive like she's invince-able like some people who get a 4wd vehicle think they are) lol!

I have only had mine in minor snow but the auto always worked great. I don't expect the 4wd to be the save all in the snow but it did kick out on curves a couple times till the auto wd kicked in really quick to straighten it out.

A few years back we got some real snow and i found myself on a road that for about 2 miles was hood deep because it was next to a high field and I had two lifted rigs behind me yelling go go! It was a dont let off situation but my then stock 97 sport plowed through .

the auto will kick in when it sense the rear tires slipping. you can defeet it by doing whats called "the brown wire mod". i drove my sport for years with the auto function untouched. later on, i did the b.w.m., i would leave it in auto for the winter, and use the b.w.m. in the summer.

So basically what you're saying is that with the brown wire mod, in 2wd it'll be 2wd, and in 4wd aito instead of being automatic, it's fully engaged. Am I correct?

actually with the BMW mod u can go into 2 wheel drive low unless u flip the switch the front diff will not activate

I don't understand what the point would be of doing the brown wire mod on the 2WD/4Auto/4Low transfer cases. Doesn't the brown wire power the engagement motor, so when it's "off" it will prevent 4x4 AUTO from sending any power to the front? Meaning it would be used for those of us who have the 4x4 Auto/High/Low transfer cases to force the vehicle to stay in 2WD when "off"

I don't understand what the point would be of doing the brown wire mod on the 2WD/4Auto/4Low transfer cases. Doesn't the brown wire power the engagement motor, so when it's "off" it will prevent 4x4 AUTO from sending any power to the front? Meaning it would be used for those of us who have the 4x4 Auto/High/Low transfer cases to force the vehicle to stay in 2WD when "off"

It gives people with those t-cases the option of 2wd low range.

The "art" of driving in snow has nothing to do with 2wd or 4wd, it's the traction available in the snow and that's all determined by the tire.

The fact is, most of the spin outs you see during a snow storm are 4wd vehicles. Four wheel drive might prevent you from getting stuck, but it will not prevent you from sliding off the roadway.

I have a 1996 ford explorer xlt with the 4wd low / 4wd auto and last winter here in PA there was some pretty good snow storms and I have to say 4wd auto worked really well for me . I could feel the difference and I never was afraid to go out in the bad storms and I did and it worked like a charm for me. Im not familiar with 4wd low I remember my dad told me just don't use that. Id say its good but hell what do I know its my first car and I only owned it for like a year and a half. Love it though

The "art" of driving in snow has nothing to do with 2wd or 4wd, it's the traction available in the snow and that's all determined by the tire.

The fact is, most of the spin outs you see during a snow storm are 4wd vehicles. Four wheel drive might prevent you from getting stuck, but it will not prevent you from sliding off the roadway.

Where 4wd helps is now you have more points of power allowing a for better chance of forward momentum ( if driving sensibly) allowing you to not spin out. If the back slides but front has traction then you wont spin if you are driving smartly. If you drive like an idiot then be prepared to wreck regardless of your vehicle.

That is a great price, grab it. I have a 1996 XLT 4wd, I love.

Back