• Register Today It's free!

95 ex headlights quit working

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
i was driving down the road and my low beams quit working. all i have is high beams. kinda odd i thought.

a while back my driver side headlight quit on lowbeam and i just spliced a wire into my hot wire on the driver side from the passenger side. it worked just fine until earlier.

any thoughts. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked any of the fuses? What condition are the bulbs in?

Do the second gen X's have seperate fuses for each headlight? I'd also check your fuses.

Do your fog lights still work? They are run off of Fuse #8, along with your right headlight. The left headlight is run off of Fuse #4. Hard to imagine that you overloaded/shorted both circuits at the same time somehow.

Fuse L in the pd box under the hood runs the headlamps, although, at this moment, I couldn't tell you if it runs low and high beams.

Check these three fuses.

But he said he wired one off of the other. Therefore they'd run off of one fuse.

Check them both. That might be why the one went out. Then you overloaded the other.

i checked both fuses 4 and 8 and they didnt look blown. i did clean off the contacts but that didnt help much. is there any kind of a relay that could have went south. im at a loss i really dont know what could be wrong. thanks for the help so far guys i really appreciate it.

I think there's also a headlight fuse in the power distribution box.

anybody know its location off of the top of their head

Do you have the overhead console/display? If so, there is a lamp out module in that that goes bad and causes you headlights to go out.....

Matt, did u figure it out yet? I've got a similar problem in that the headlights do not come on, from time to time, without pulling on the turn signal stalk - it makes them come on right away. My problem is within the steering colums/turn signal stalk connections but i haven't yet gotten to opeing it up and pokin' around

no headlights!!! Answer...try this....

I hear '95s are notorius for this. Mine did this too!!! am currently driving with Hi beams pointed low until I can get someone to do this. I found this from a previous post and am posting to an old thread in case someone else reads this and the answer is here........ as it sounds no one else read and found out what to do. I sure hope he got it fixed though....Got this from a previous post, by CC77;... and just passing it along...... He writes.....I don't have the daytime running lights on my truck so I can't say if that's your problem, but on mine it was the dreaded "Lamp Out Warning Module."After a lot of help from the board member noproblem, and a lot of searching on the Internet, I have discovered where this piece is and also that MANY, MANY, MANY Explorers have a problem with this piece. This should be a recall from Ford and a free piece because it is a design problem involving MANY Ford Explorers and is a MAJOR safety issue of the headlights going out. I think I'm going to file a complaint with the highway safety people who handle this sort of thing. This piece should be on a recall! Just search Google and Groups for "Lamp Out Module" and you will see you are not alone and other people with Explorers having the same problem. And for every person who ended up posting their problem on a message board or news group, how many didn't post the problem on the Internet? Or didn't even know what's the problem and just paid a dealer or mechanic to fix it? No doubt many thousands! And the dealer charges 300 DOLLARS!!! to these poor people for changing a circuit board worth 2 dollars and about 5 minutes of labor to pop off a trim panel and remove two screws. From Ford this is criminal!.......
You have to remove the center console and the Lamp Out Warning Module piece is under there.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR REMOVING/FIXING THE LAMP OUT WARNING MODULE:

On my 1995 Explorer Limited (same for several other years, styles, Eddie Bauer, etc.):

1. I removed the piece in front of the armrest (with the slot for the Kleenex and the ashtray).

2. Then removed the console with the read-out screen (you might not have this piece, you might only have a cubby to put stuff in - you know the area, below the heat and A/C controls).

These two pieces I named just pull out and you don't need tools. Get your fingers under the edges and just give them a good yank. After you remove these two pieces, you will see some clusters of wires under there. The Lamp Out Warning Module is a little black box (almost the size of a pack of smokes) with a small bundle of wires going to it. It is on the passenger side of the center console and about even with where the passenger's knee would be if they were in the car. It's kind of under a piece of plastic so you have to look for it. Just follow the wire clusters. When you find it you will see it is held by two Phillips screws. You will need to remove these two screws. Be careful not to let them fall, it will be awkward to get them back because it's kind of tight in there. After removing the black plastic box, unplug the wiring that goes to it (you will see a little tooth/clip thingy you will need to squeeze and pull).

3. Once the black box is out, carefully pop it open. It has a couple of little clips you will see on the top side. They can be popped open with a little flat head screwdriver or pocketknife. Once open, remove the circuit board from in there - be careful/gentle with it.

4. You should now inspect the circuit board. Be careful not to touch anything in there and as I said, be gentle. It's cheap junk and that's why they break in the first place! One side will be flat and one side will have resistors/chips on it. Inspect the whole thing, but most likely the problems will be on the FLAT side. You are looking for a couple things:

Smoke/burn residue - You'll know when you see it.
Bad solder joints - You might need a little magnifying glass to see this.

The area where you really want to inspect is not really under where the resistors are. The problem will probably be where these little post type metal pieces come from the plastic connector piece (that goes to the wiring harness you removed earlier). Inside that plastic clip piece (on the top side of the circuit board - where the resistors are) you will see the pins that go INTO the wiring harness, they then come out from the plastic piece, bend 90 degrees, and go down through the circuit board. On the bottom of the circuit board (meaning the flat side - no resistors) each post gets a dab of solder to hold it in place. THIS SOLDER IS WHERE THE PROBLEM DEVELOPS. Inspect each little "dab" and see if any have burn/smoke from shorting, if any look different from the rest, or if any look like they just aren't held into the circuit board tightly.

If any of these soldered posts (there's maybe about 15 to 20 of them) look like they are not secure, this is where your problem is.

If you are good (or just decent) at soldering you might be able to fix it. If not, you can look for someone good with solder (an electrician, someone who works on telephones, someone from a car stereo shop, electronics shop, cell phone/pager store, etc. etc.). I had electric shop in high school so I know how to solder, but it's a very tiny joint and I don't feel confident enough in my abilities to try, so I gave it to my father's friend who works on electronics. Someone like this can do it in about 10 seconds (literally!). If you don't know someone like this personally, maybe just call or stop by a car stereo shop or cell phone store and explain the problem. Maybe they will just charge you a couple of dollars. Unless you get a heartless devil (like the people at Ford) I'm sure someone will help you with the soldering part.

If you are familiar with soldering but need a refresher course, just search the Internet for "how to solder" (or similar) for pictures/info. There's a ton of resources out there.

After fixing the solder, reverse the removal process and reinstall the module. Make sure it's clipped back in tightly (into the wiring harness) but again, be gentle with it (remember, it's a piece of junk!).

IMPORTANT:

If you remove the center console and this module, the car will still start and drive fine without the module clipped in. The high beams WILL still work if you need to drive at night, but the brake lights will NOT work with the module removed (only the high brake light - the third one - will still work). So either take another car when you go out to get the solder fixed, or put the circuit board back in its black plastic box, clip the piece back in, go to get it fixed, and then remove it at the shop. Don't drive with the module removed - you will have no brake lights.

I know this whole thing seems really long, but I just wanted to explain thoroughly. To take out the center console and the Lamp Out Module takes no more than 5 minutes (literally). The inspection/soldering another couple of minutes. And putting it all back together another 5 minutes.

If you have headlight problems with your Explorer, are out of your warranty, and are even the slightest bit handy, you can save yourself 300 dollars and not give in to the Ford thievery machine. I initially wasn't even going to fix mine, I was going to buy the piece from my local dealer and install myself, but after getting the runaround and learning they want 300 dollars, I said screw them. It's very easy to do yourself. Even if you are not up for the soldering part of it, buy the module from your dealer, or a local junkyard (good deal for low price but maybe you get another bad one - still worth a shot though - screw the dealer) and just do the install yourself. I agree the soldering is the most touchy part of the process, but the removal/installation is SO easy and should not cost over 200 dollars from the dealer. Good luck to anyone with this problem!

I'm thinking of taking some pictures of this whole process and starting a web page with better explanations (I just typed this quickly). If I do that, I will post a link here on this board. If anyone has problems with this whole process and wants my opinion/advice, please leave me a message here or e-mail me from the "View User's Gallery" link on the left (under my name). Good luck! ......So there ya go and lots more testimonials saying that is fixed the problem.

I have the same problem on my 91` Explorer - High-beams are working but not normal headlights. Im really happy i managed to google this thread.
Going to check the fuses and then after that what kehloke wrote about LAMP OUT WARNING MODULE. Is that the same procedure for 91 Explorer as 95s?

Back