Spark plug removal & installation in a 1997 Aerostar. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug removal & installation in a 1997 Aerostar.

blakjag

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Aerostar
Just a quick hello. New to the forum.

Have a '97 4.0L LWB Aerostar (among other cars). Have owned it from new and it's the thrid of it's kind, all from new but only have this last '97 now.

Just changed the shocks this monrning.....pretty easy job. Now about to embark on changing the spark plugs (the Haynes manual is useless for this) and that's how I found this forum. I believe the last post I saw was around a year or so ago and it pretty much showed that changing these buggers out appears to be no easy task. However, I did see that variations in that having the car up on ramps and working from the top and sides (wheel well) seems to work out to be the easiest. Am I right? Any updates on the "best" way to change the plugs.

I love the van and plan on keeping it until it literally falls apart.

So, glad to be aboard!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello and Spark Plug Removal

OK, I get it, should have done a better search before asking for help so no-one replied.

Will try to do better.

Les

Welcome to this forum! You could reach the first 2 in the front under the hood (possibly the 3rd in the rear too). The other ones have to be removed through the wheel base or from the inside if you remove the inner cover.

Hello and Spark Plug Removal

Thanks for the information BrooklynBay.

In my 1997 I can reach all the driver's and passenger's side plugs from the front, you just need a combination of a long 5/8" socket plus a 3" or 6" inch extension and a 3/8" drive ratchet. (for the passenger side, completely remove the air filter assembly).

for easy access to the driver's side plugs, simply remove the a/c compressor Bolts, and then move the compressor out of the way, no need to disconnect any a/c hoses.

you can also reach the plugs through the wheel housings using 15" inches of extensions.

the passenger side rear plug can be loosened by removing the transmission tunnel cover in the interior using a wobble adapter. then you can remove it by hand.
(you need to remove the Rear ABS Module mounted at the center bottom, it interferes with removal of the cover).

Do one plug at a time so you don't get the spark plug wires confused. Use the proper double platinum plugs only and gap them properly.

In my 1997 I can reach all the driver's and passenger's side plugs from the front, you just need a combination of a long 5/8" socket plus a 3" or 6" inch extension and a 3/8" drive ratchet. (for the passenger side, completely remove the air filter assembly).

for easy access to the driver's side plugs, simply remove the a/c compressor Bolts, and then move the compressor out of the way, no need to disconnect any a/c hoses.

you can also reach the plugs through the wheel housings using 15" inches of extensions.

the passenger side rear plug can be loosened by removing the transmission tunnel cover in the interior using a wobble adapter. then you can remove it by hand.
(you need to remove the Rear ABS Module mounted at the center bottom, it interferes with removal of the cover).

Do one plug at a time so you don't get the spark plug wires confused. Use the proper double platinum plugs only and gap them properly.

Thanks Jose.....did you try BrooklynBay's method? I'd rather not have to remove the belt and A/C pump if I don't have to.

yes, he is doing it the same way, but if you remove the air filter box and intake tube, you can also get to the passenger side plugs from the front.

the belt is easy to remove, you simply attach a 3/8" ratchet to the sprung adjuster pulley and turn it hard towards the engine, enough to release the belt from any pulley.

the a/c compressor is mounted with 4 bolts, remove the bolts and you can move it to the side complete with hoses connected.

Ok, update on the plug and wire change.........

Got the new Bosch plugs and wires......opened the hood, looked aorund, followed the excellent information and suggestions you guys provided, and after about 1.5 hrs, all I had acheived was to get the front passenger side plug boot off, and that wasn't easy either.

Stood up, shot the bird to the van, strapped it back together and it's now in my local shop getting the damned job done!!

Having attempted this job, and having gone through the ludicrously awful "access engineering" the FMC company did on this vehicle, I've found another reason the hate 'em!.......(we were the "proud" owners of a 1996 Taurus, bought new, that might give you some insights into my feelings)

However, I love the van, always have so I'm sure I'll be chatting to y'all again soon.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble with the help.

Les.

Les, the first time is the hardest, yes Ford did not care one bit about maintenance when they designed this minivan. My only question is: Why new plug wires?

Les, the first time is the hardest, yes Ford did not care one bit about maintenance when they designed this minivan. My only question is: Why new plug wires?

Hehe, yeah, and my "first time" on this vehicle will be the last time!

Since I've owned the van from new, and it's now 17 years old and 143k miles, I believe the plugs and wires are the originals, believe it or not! I figured it was time, and I've had harder starting during last winter after the van sits for a week or so. Wires weren't that expensive so why not.

What kind of condition were the spark plugs in?

reading_spark_plugs.jpg

I don't know yet. It's still in the shop. I just called and asked them to save the plugs as I believe they are original. They also mentioned that the wires are rock hard and they've literally destroyed them trying to get them off.

It'll be interesting to see the plugs!

OK. I got the van back from the shop along with the plugs. They were in fact the original Motorcraft plugs. The color of the 'burn" looked pretty decent all things considered. Light brown to tan color.

Gaps. They ranged from the smallest at 0.069 to the largest at 0.090.

I'm amazed that it ran as well as it did! It took the guys 5 hours. I had them do an oil change too.

I will try a good test run tomorrow morning.

Thanks again you guys. You helped more than you know!

Les.

Doing engine work on any van requires extensions and swivel's,Be extremely careful to stay aligned with the spark plug when using swivels.You could unwittingly crack the plug putting it back in and not notice it.My friend just opened a repair shop and he's slow right now.
I'm going to let him do my tune-up and oil change,I hope he don't mind if I keep a watchful eye on his work but at a respectable distance.I might take my binoculars with me.Just for the record I paid $500.00 for the 1997 Ford Aerostar 3.0 engine,48,000 original miles.i use it as a work van.Thank you for allowing me to throw my 2 cents in.

Back