How to: - How To: Drivers Exterior Door Handle Replacement | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Drivers Exterior Door Handle Replacement

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
To eliminate the risk of elastic breaking, the maze of zipties, or trying to revive the already untrustworthy oem spring I went in search of another method. Trip to autozone yielded the below result and best of all didnt have to take the latch out at all.
Let me know what you guys think.
Fordlatchfix.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To eliminate the risk of elastic breaking, the maze of zipties, or trying to revive the already untrustworthy oem spring I went in search of another method. Trip to autozone yielded the below result and best of all didnt have to take the latch out at all.
Let me know what you guys think.
Fordlatchfix.jpg

All I see is a big red X for your picture.
The purpose of this thread was to fix the door handle/locking mechanism problem, without spending an unreasonable amount of money. It seems there is more than one way to skin a cat. Hope those zip ties hold up!

Thanks for this post man, I needed it. One question: would using bolts instead of rivets on the reinstall create a security problem? Could someone break into your vehicle by just undoing the bolts from the outside?

Thx
Rob

Oh no I didn't, it just went to the end of multiple pages.

The way I see it is if someone is going to try to get into your truck they are not going to try to fidget with the little bolts under your handle, they will just break the glass with a center punch and take what they want.
I would use nylocks or some kind of thread sealant so that the nut will just spin in the door if they for some reason do try that method.

Golfer, the pics finally loaded, Wow that is a long spring! Looks like it will work.

Golfer, the pics finally loaded, Wow that is a long spring! Looks like it will work.

it looks pretty long in the photo but its really not that bad. It is just about perfect though. It really reduces the number of parts than can break/mess up when doing the fix

I'm going to give this latest fix a go. Hopefully I can locate the spring (not so simple to locate in Canada). :(

Your description is exactly what I need to do. I've taken the door panel off and can see inside. I wasn't sure but thought that I might have to drill out the rivets. This thread didn't show the pictures. Do you think there is another way I can see them? Thank you for be so descriptive. I think that I'm going to be able to do this.

Thanks for the great info on the door locks

I used a rubberband to hold the latch mechanism up so that the key now will unlock as well as lock the driverside door. Great tip guys!

door handle repair

I'm having the same problem at this time. I'll paint a door handle no problem. I've also noticed that the door lock pin doesn't come up all the way. I think it's because the door handle springs are broken. With the springs broken on the handle it doesn't return all the way to the correct position which prevents the lever on the latch assembly from returning all the way to the correct position. I removed the latch assembly and found that if the door handle latch lever doesn't come all the way up the power door lock won't release the lock and the lever and won't unlock because the handle lever is not in the correct position. I'll clean the latch assembly and lube it, replace the handle etc and all should be fine. Too bad the springs can't be replaced with new ones to avoid painting etc.

does anyone have the pictures from the first page post?

Any chance the original pictures From the beginning of the thread could be reposted?

yeah I was hoping for the pics too! just started on mine.... dang.

Since everybody here has had to remove their inner door panel, they have also had to remove the two screws just above the door pull on the panel. (I have a 94 Explorer) My problem is when reinstalling the inner door panel how to get those two two inch screws lined up with the clips on the door to re screw them in. Anybody got a solution to that?

Very Helpful!! THis was my problem too!! Ford quoted me 225.00-250.00 THats BS. Just reused the old spring and now it unlocks no problem. Now it acts like it doesnt wanna lock? Hmmm maybe I did it wrong?

I I was lucky that my SportTrac is black so the can of Ford Black and Clear coat touch up spray from Advance Auto parts worked perfect. The clear coat leveled itself to a factory finish after laying on good - two clear coats over two black./QUOTE]

Followed your lead and painted my replacement handle the same way, it looks great and later today, I will be putting it on my Explorer (driver's side) I hope it goes smoothly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cost to have handle replaced...

I had to take the EX to the body shop for some repairs, so I had him replace the flopping door handle (broken spring issue). He said he ordered the handle and had to paint it at the shop and charged me $140 for the handle, paint and install.

Also, have the issue of the small spring broken in the door latch that causes the door to not unlock (can't open it from the outside when locked). It is a very small spring about an inch long with 'legs' that make the whole thing about 2 inches long. This spring is similar to a ball point pen spring with long legs for hooks. It holds a bar/rod up which allows the lock mechanism to work. My son was able to fasten a wire/cable tie in there to hold the rod up all the time. It has been working for 6 months or so now. Not sure how long it will last. Also, not sure why the rod isn't held up all the time and what the spring is supposed to do. I just know from looking at the passenger side door it looks like they built the car around the spring, looks impossible to replace.

billc
2000 XLT 98k:usa:

Back