electrical questions - dome light and accessory outlets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

electrical questions - dome light and accessory outlets

pearly

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 xlt
Two separate questions, have been unable to find answers so far:

1) my dome lights, front and back, come on intermittently while driving. I have searched for solutions and the most common is to spray WD-40 into the door locks and slam the doors, hoping to break free any latches that are sticking causing the lights to come on while driving. This has not helped any.

The lights aren't always on, they will just come on randomly while driving and turn off. I'm usually impatient and will open my door and shut it, always causing the light to go off. but the passenger door will also turn it off. The door open warning does not come on the display. What do I check to fix this?

2) How can I wire my aftermarket gps and satellite radio to turn off with the ignition? The accessory outlets are always on so neither one turn off, and I don't like always having to turn each of them on and off manually.

Thanks for the input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first of all Good luck
1 is would remove the door panels and spray pb blaster all around the lock

2 you could remove radio and find the all ways power wire and splice into it. use a light tester if needed.

be carefull hardwireing a gps. many are not 12volt and putting 12volts power to them will destroy them.

I removed the door panels and sprayed all the locks, but the problem persists. What do I check next - is it a wiring issue somewhere?

I have that exact same problem with the dome light. Its ben bothering me ever since i bought my EX back in oct of 08. Ive been to a couple different dealers and couldent figure it out.
I think i just figured it out on my own. While sitting in the driveway I was fiddling with the key chain while talking to my girlfriend when the light came on. SO I turned it slightly either way and pushed and pulled gently while the engine was running and the light cane on everytime. SO im calling the dealer and getting an appoitment asap. My full warrinty runs out in 1500 miles. I dont think theres any reason for the dome light to come on just by bumping the key.

I have that exact same problem with the dome light. Its ben bothering me ever since i bought my EX back in oct of 08. Ive been to a couple different dealers and couldent figure it out.
I think i just figured it out on my own. While sitting in the driveway I was fiddling with the key chain while talking to my girlfriend when the light came on. SO I turned it slightly either way and pushed and pulled gently while the engine was running and the light cane on everytime. SO im calling the dealer and getting an appoitment asap. My full warrinty runs out in 1500 miles. I dont think theres any reason for the dome light to come on just by bumping the key.

I actually came to that realization this weekend as well. Unfortunately I don't have warranty any longer. After I removed the door panels and sprayed down the locks, once it still happened I didn't know what else to try. My knee hit the keys and the light flashed, and jiggling the keys would make it come on or off. So there must be a loose wire or connection somewhere behind the steering wheel.

Let me know what your dealer finds out.

Im going in first thing saturday morning. The service manager sounded as excited as I was when I told him what I had found. So be looking saturday night or sunday morning for a soulition to this problem. (I hope)

Please let me know as well- my brother just got an 08 explorer and his dome light comes on randomly also- he has about 9K miles on factory warranty left.

Thanks!
Andrew

Well i got it fixed!! They had to replace the ignition switch. The service manager told me that ford recently sent out a bulliton to all the dealers saying how to solve that problem. So far so good i made the hour trip home and the light never came on.
I didnt have to pay anything because it is still under warrinty so i asked the manager how much the part cost it was $117. Not too bad but I dont know what the labor would be. I got checked in at 8:15 and didn't get out of there until almost noon.

Thanks for the update - looks like I'll just keep jiggling my keys to turn off the light. It actually has decreased quite a bit since I took off the door panel and sprayed about half a can of WD40 onto the locks.

Back