Key Fob Issues | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob Issues

musicman 21, you have to know that there are members, like me, who now have to know what happens when you press the 'eject' button.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ejection-seat-af-acesii.jpg

:D:D:D:D:help:

Lol!

Just an update for anyone that cares.
Ford has had the truck for 3 full days. They only diagnosed the issue yesterday to be what they think is a malfunctioning computer which is now on order to arrive middle of next week.

Just an update for anyone that cares.
Ford has had the truck for 3 full days. They only diagnosed the issue yesterday to be what they think is a malfunctioning computer which is now on order to arrive middle of next week.

Thank you for the update, musicman21. I'm glad to hear that the parts are on order for next week and that things are moving forward with the repair of your truck. I've received your private message and will reply shortly; hang tight.

Brittany

Weak Key Fob Battery?

I thought about including this in a previous post, but felt it's probably better by itself....

I've noticed that sometimes I have to hit the Unlock button on my key fob several times before the doors unlock. It doesn't happen all the time, though.

Is this a sign of a weak key fob battery (I hope not!), or is there something in the MFT causing this?

Every time I have had your issue, no matter what manufacturer it has been a weak battery in the fob. One thing you can try is if you have a second fob see if it has the same issue.

Willy in Cali

Willi,

Thanks! I'll check with my dealer and find out if it's covered under warranty. (I'm thinking it may well be, as I've never had a key fob battery wear out before!).

Mike

I very much doubt the warranty will not cover key fob batteries since they are an expendable item. Several members have had success in doing a Master Reset or battery cable pull. Both will unfortunately result in some stored memory loss.
The batteries are not expensive if you want to replace them. Have you tried the second fob? If you replace the batteries, do not wipe off the grease that you will find on them. This is also stated in your Owner's Guide.

Peter

Willi,

Thanks! I'll check with my dealer and find out if it's covered under warranty. (I'm thinking it may well be, as I've never had a key fob battery wear out before!).

Mike
You will spend more in gas going to the dealer than what a battery costs.

I'd suggest resetting the body computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 30 seconds. That cured my similar problem.

Just a quick update...I've switched to the spare key fob, and will report back if the same problem exists.

I am having problems with my KEY FOB on my Limited... It is working OK but it seems that the rubber has loose its strenght and is super sensitive. When it is in the pocket or if i pass on top with my fingers it activates the functions and open the liftgate.

has anyone replaced the rubber of the KeyFob and where did you get it or do i have to buy a new KEYFOB?

Thanks in advance..

You can buy full replacement cases on eBay for around $5-10 (IKT). You will need to break your existing FOB open as the top half is plastic welded together. It may be your buttons inside are worn as well and have lost their "clicker pop" which in that case I would get a new key. Your call on what you wish to do. I have some OEM IKTs if you are looking for a new one.

If your FOB is the smart type FOB they also sell replacement cases for those on eBay. I would have to look up what those go for. Same thing goes for if it no long clicks then you will need a new OEM FOB. Don't have those though.

Jason

I am having problems with my KEY FOB on my Limited... It is working OK but it seems that the rubber has loose its strenght and is super sensitive. When it is in the pocket or if i pass on top with my fingers it activates the functions and open the liftgate.

has anyone replaced the rubber of the KeyFob and where did you get it or do i have to buy a new KEYFOB?

Thanks in advance..
Perhaps a cover would help? Check out this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386122&highlight=key+covers

Peter

Hey guys, I know this is an old post, but I took my Ex into the dealership to have the toe link recall fixed. We were also having an issue with the key fobs not working so I asked them to replace the battery. They called me and said the key fob needed to be replaced for $250. I said no thanks and started researching the issue. I disconnected the battery on the Ex per this post and now my fobs are working. Thanks for the suggestion and help!

Making an account to tell you guys my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT Key Fob stopped working one day while out of town. Changed battery, no response when reprogramming. Almost paid for a new key! Cut and programmed would be 150$ 230$from Dealer -_- Then my dad, previous owner, happens to have the 2nd key we try to program and no response. Believe it to be the TPMS Receiver so we order part from Ebay for $50 and I see 3 forum posts of DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY power cycle reset 3 minutes and now the KEY WILL PROGRAM. Thanks for this post.

Back