So what is DIY on the 3.5? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So what is DIY on the 3.5?

BlueSilver

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Like doing any repair/service work myself as much as possible, for saving dough and doing it right reasons. Oil change is cake, what about trans.? I don't agree with this infinite amount of miles thing on the trans fluid. I just change it for peace of mind at what I think is an average interval.
Spark plugs, serpentine belt, alternator? I was told by one mechanic when he replaced the serpentine belt on my wife's then, CX-9 ( same engine) that the belt has to be serviced from underneath. Well that is no fun. Hope there was a redesign on that. Probably not.
Back to the trans.....is this a drop pan, replace gasket/filter deal? One reason I love my Saab, is there is nothing more than removing the plug and refilling. No pan to drop. You have to change it more often but it costs me 25.00 every 15-20K to do so. Even then it's still red. Peace of mind. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on the latest 2014 manual the 3.5 engine transmission is a drop drain and change filter and fill setup but at least you have a dipstick to fill it with. The manual says replace the fluid every 150k miles for regular service. Unless an aftermarket drain pan with a plug comes along soon the only other way to replace fluid is to vacuum the fluid from the dipstick and refill it. Not the best but easier than the complete pan removal and replacement. Another option I have in my area is do it your self auto maintenance bays with a lift that cost $35/hr billed in 15 min increments and includes tools and fluid disposal you bring your own parts or buy them from the auto parts store next door. They even have a mechanic available to help you if you need it for an additional charge in 20 minute increments. Check for DIY Auto Repair franchises in your area. I like to do my own maintenance since I have been doing it since my first vehicle in 1974 plus I want to make sure its done right and for a reasonable price. I don't trust the independent lube places from experience with business vehicles.

By the way lifetime fluids just means most people will not own the vehicle long enough to replace the fluid but there is a specific lifetime on all fluids for Ford Vehicles.

Based on the latest 2014 manual the 3.5 engine transmission is a drop drain and change filter and fill setup but at least you have a dipstick to fill it with. The manual says replace the fluid every 150k miles for regular service. Unless an aftermarket drain pan with a plug comes along soon the only other way to replace fluid is to vacuum the fluid from the dipstick and refill it. Not the best but easier than the complete pan removal and replacement. Another option I have in my area is do it your self auto maintenance bays with a lift that cost $35/hr billed in 15 min increments and includes tools and fluid disposal you bring your own parts or buy them from the auto parts store next door. They even have a mechanic available to help you if you need it for an additional charge in 20 minute increments. Check for DIY Auto Repair franchises in your area. I like to do my own maintenance since I have been doing it since my first vehicle in 1974 plus I want to make sure its done right and for a reasonable price. I don't trust the independent lube places from experience with business vehicles.

By the way lifetime fluids just means most people will not own the vehicle long enough to replace the fluid but there is a specific lifetime on all fluids for Ford Vehicles.

Personally when it comes to trans fluid change I want to drop the pan and get a look at the debris in the bottom. Beside the clutch material there is also some weird color sludge type material that is in there. I clean the pan and remove any metallic material that is sticking to the magnet that is usually in the bottom of the pan. (have not had my 2014 long enough to do a change so I do not know if Ford uses a magnet or not) I also will switch to synthetic fluid. I know I am only getting a portion of the old fluid out but after the second fluid swap I figure the synthetic is making up the majority of what is in there. Normally its an easy job, I use a 3/8" drive pneumatic ratchet that spins the dozen or so bolts right out. during reassembly I set my compressor just high enough to get the bolt all the way in and then I then I torque them to spec by hand. I figure a new filter which is not expensive is good insurance. Never thought about it but it would sense to remove all the fluid you can using the dipstick hole approach so that when you drop the pan it does not pour out all over the ground.

Personally when it comes to trans fluid change I want to drop the pan and get a look at the debris in the bottom. Beside the clutch material there is also some weird color sludge type material that is in there. I clean the pan and remove any metallic material that is sticking to the magnet that is usually in the bottom of the pan. (have not had my 2014 long enough to do a change so I do not know if Ford uses a magnet or not) I also will switch to synthetic fluid. I know I am only getting a portion of the old fluid out but after the second fluid swap I figure the synthetic is making up the majority of what is in there. Normally its an easy job, I use a 3/8" drive pneumatic ratchet that spins the dozen or so bolts right out. during reassembly I set my compressor just high enough to get the bolt all the way in and then I then I torque them to spec by hand. I figure a new filter which is not expensive is good insurance. Never thought about it but it would sense to remove all the fluid you can using the dipstick hole approach so that when you drop the pan it does not pour out all over the ground.

I dropped my first pan several years ago and had a mess of fluid to clean up and then bought a vacuum fluid extractor to change oil on my small engines and used it on my transmission dip stick the next time I dropped a pan and I had no mess and it took less time to remove not having to deal with all of the fluid. The new 6R80 trans have the plug and dipstick above the pan and the fluid cold or hot is above the pan gasket and you can remove about 2-3 qts before you pull the pan and there is no mess. Havent done my explorer yet since its brand new but it should be the same approach. All Ford pans I have dropped have a magnet on the pan bottom. Its usually located at a dimple in the pan bottom that holds the ring shaped magnet in place.

Ford Mercon LV trans fluid is supposed to be a pure synthetic fluid unlike the previous ATF fluid. Be sure you use an equivalent Mercon LV fluid and not an ATF in the new explorer transmission. They are not compatible!

Like doing any repair/service work myself as much as possible, for saving dough and doing it right reasons. Oil change is cake, what about trans.? I don't agree with this infinite amount of miles thing on the trans fluid. I just change it for peace of mind at what I think is an average interval. Spark plugs, serpentine belt, alternator? I was told by one mechanic when he replaced the serpentine belt on my wife's then, CX-9 ( same engine) that the belt has to be serviced from underneath. Well that is no fun. Hope there was a redesign on that. Probably not. Back to the trans.....is this a drop pan, replace gasket/filter deal? One reason I love my Saab, is there is nothing more than removing the plug and refilling. No pan to drop. You have to change it more often but it costs me 25.00 every 15-20K to do so. Even then it's still red. Peace of mind. Thanks

Depends on which trans you have?

On the 6f55 it was as simple as removing the plug, then swiveling the air box out of the way to refill through the dipstick tube... Took about 1/2 hour total. Used about 5-3/4 to 6 qts (out of 11) to refill.

Honestly many normal maintenance items are not tough in the ex-s...

Back