What kind of grease/lubricant to use in ball joints/tie rods??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of grease/lubricant to use in ball joints/tie rods???

bennettcl

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I am replacing all my ball joints and outer tie rods on my 98 explorer AWD V8. Right now the only grease I have is a Super Tech Multi Purpose grease I got at Walmart for a $1. I am not sure if that is the correct grease to be using. So I need to know:

What kind of grease should I get and where should I get it? It says I should get chassis grease. Is there a grease that I can get that can be used on all my ball joints and tie rods as well as other applications? Please be sure to let me know where you get the grease.

Also I am putting all brand new bushings in my upper and lower control arms. Do the new bushings need any kind of lubricant on them such as silicone grease?

Also I have to remove my torsion bars to take off the lower control arm. Do I need to put some kind of dry adhesive on the torsion bar adjuster bolt when I put it back in?

And do any other bolts such as the frame bolts that hold the upper and lower control arms on. Do they need a dry adhesive or do I just tight them tight.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heres a bump, I want to know too:)

Ford ball joint grease

NLGI N0.2 lithium based grease containing polyethylene and molybdenum disulfide is recommended by Ford for front wheel bearings, automatic locking front hubs, front spindle and thrust bearings (4Wd) AND ALL CHASSIS lubrication. Ford OEM balljoints are sealed with no grease fitting and therefor Ford recommends no grease specifically for their balljoints.

The NLGI number system categorizes greases according to their hardness, from an NLGI No. 000 through No. 6, with an NLGI No. 2 being the most common.

NLGI No.2 appears to be the what Ford would recommend IF their balljoints had grease fittings.

I use the Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury grease, bought it at Advance.

I use the Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury grease, bought it at Advance.

+1

I have used this stuff on all of my vehicles, most recently on my 99 Mountaineer and my 91 Mustang GT. I haven't had any problems.

Yes, the Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury grease is NLGI N0.2.

Back