How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Bigger priority: the rod connecting the Tcase to the shifter mechanism, can anyone provide me with a pic and precise measurements? Perhaps I can have one made.

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

I ordered that part, but cannot find my picture with the part number.

Still looking

My present one is a shortened f150 linkage. [MENTION=165306]Stang5lgt[/MENTION] cut a chunk out of the middle and welded it back together. Hoping he chimes in with the application.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found a link at the salvage yard. The TC was marked as coming from a 96 F150. It looks just like the one in the pic turdle provided. Its 7" long. Sound right? With that and the u-joint from O'Reillys I'm nearly ready. Gonna have new u-joints put in both driveshafts first.

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

I am curious why a 1356 tcase isn't used? I ask because I have a 90 bronco sitting here rusting away with an electric shift case.

My 96 has a double cardon ujoint on the front of the transfer case instead of a cv joint.. can I reuse my factory driveshaft on the 4406?

Is there a slipjoint eliminator kit for the 4406 and would my factory driveshaft work with it?

I just had a few questions I couldn't find the answers to in the reading and hoping someone can set me straight before I start collecting parts I don't need. My awd has always been annoying and after doing some more research I think the viscous coupler is most likely shot. I broke a cv joint in krogers parking lot last winter and it was pretty much full throttle to get it parked for the night until the snow let up enough to take a trailer after it. From my understanding this may have a lot to do with my 12 mpg avg as well? Either way I don't care for not being able to decide when its in 4wd and not having 4low. thanks for any help!

There is not a way to use the factory front drive shaft from an AWD Explorer. There is an adaptor that can be purchased to use a 91-96 V6 front drive shaft with the 4406.
Ford did not use the double carden front drive shaft with the AWD's or the 4x4 autos (1997+ for round numbers).

What Chad said

I have a 91 bronco that's sitting can I use the T.C and drive shafts from that ?

1356 is way to wide. Will not fit between frame rails.

Finally getting back on track with my hot rod Explorer after my maroon one was destroyed(thanks to Ricoh) Larry Pelletier paid for this white 97 V8 AWD

100_1632.jpg

100_0681.jpg

So I went scouring for a BW4406 scored two out of the same scrap yard both 97F150s manual shift and tail sensor. He only paid for one.

BW4406g.jpg

BW4406f.jpg

I had a machine shop install new u-joints in the driveshafts for my swap. He is highly recommended and he used Spicer u-joints. But the original u-joints had clips holding them in. The Spicer joints are pressed in and are flush with the holes in the shafts. Is this acceptable?

I had a machine shop install new u-joints in the driveshafts for my swap. He is highly recommended and he used Spicer u-joints. But the original u-joints had clips holding them in. The Spicer joints are pressed in and are flush with the holes in the shafts. Is this acceptable?

the clips might be on the inside of the ujoint holes

Wanted to thank everyone again for all the information on this swap. I did mine about two years ago and it has worked flawlessly.

I just drove from Denver over the mountains to Grand Junction at 250 miles and the Ex got exactly 20 MPG. If you ever did this run it's lots of up and downs. I'm running 33" BFG All terrians with a TT and shackles. Used the GPS for miles traveled so miles aren't off due to larger tires. I kept speeds at 65 for most of the way because at 75 and higher it starts to get very busy without swaybar connected.

What are you guys seeing for mileage?

I'll be doing this swap June 13 (a week from today). If anybody feels like coming over and helping out I'd be grateful.. Probably grill some burgers and brats. You gonna make it Jon?

I'll be doing this swap June 13 (a week from today). If anybody feels like coming over and helping out I'd be grateful.. Probably grill some burgers and brats. You gonna make it Jon?

Yep. I am still planning on it. :thumbsup::D

What do you need me to bring?

Just knowhow and experience. LoL oh.. And your Mounty so we can crawl under it and see how its done.

Well my swap is nearly complete. All the work is done but the rear driveshaft, which I discovered today is the wrong one. I think they sold me a 4x2 shaft as it is way too long and wont even fit in the transfer case. Bad thing is I've already had new Spicer u-joints put in it and can't find any receipts for it. So I'm going to have to just eat the 150 I have in it. I'll have to go to Coffeyville (about a 30 mile drive) for the right shaft, and I don't have the funds to put new u-joints in it. LOL anyone wanna buy a driveshaft? :)

The joys of modding. If it makes you feel any better, we all have stories like this.

Might be able to swap over the ujoint , I would be surprised if they used the same size ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got it done. :) the correct driveshaft I picked up today had good u-joints and fit great. Sandi and i just test drove it and it runs and feels fine.

Back