How to tell if you are driving XLT, XLS MODEL? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to tell if you are driving XLT, XLS MODEL?

iwannabamedic

Reaction score
City, State
Central Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer XLS
Hello
I am wanting to know how does one tell what trim package you have, what is the plain model compared to eddie bauer model?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I believe the XLS was introduced in 99 and the XLS has normal power options windows,locks, cruise, short console. XLT usually had power windows,locks,cruise a full length console that connected to the dash with air vents in the rear, overhead console. (there were explorers 95-98 labeled xlt's that has the same package options as the xls) Eddie bauer had leather and all power options and seats said eddie bauer right on them and 99-01's had heated leather. I didn't go into direct detail on every option but its an ideal outline of the differences.

Great explanation Glen.

So, pretty much only options differ between the XLT and EB in 99-01 was the signature/paint, and heated seats?

Well the EB's and LTD's also had a computer information center in the full length console and also had automatic climate controls so you could set it like a house thermostat and will constantly keep your truck at that temperature.

OOooo. Both of those sound very nice. Hmmm.

Thank you Glenn. May have to keep an X-mas list starting today. :D

Yea they are nice rides I test drove a 00 Eddie the year before last and I liked it alot but got laid off so wasn't worth going broke over.

Thr XLS never had the 5.0 V8 as an option. Most come with with the 4.0 OHV V6 except in '01 when the XLS had the SOHC V6. The V8 option is a good option because it's been the most rock solid of any 2nd gen Explorer. Only available in XLT/EB/Limited trim levels.
Posted via Mobile Device

OOooo. Both of those sound very nice. Hmmm.

Thank you Glenn. May have to keep an X-mas list starting today. :D

the EATC (electric Automatic thermal controls) are very hard and involved to install, you pretty much have to swap everything under your dash and if it breaks it can be costly

I have done the message center mod however, and I have a few, its fairly straight forward. if you can crimp wires you can do this mod

'99 had both XL and XLS's by 2000 the xl was gone. the easiest way to tell the differance is outside

XL= No Chrome, body color grill
XLS= No Chrome, body color grill, most have small fender flares
XLT= Chrome Grill
EB= Two tone paint, bumpers are lower body color,chrome grill
Limited= All body color, bumpers and grill.

i have a 1997 ford explorer xl/xlt with a 4.0 sohc efi v-6 with a 5-speed automatic with fulltime awd i bought police auction it was retired police suv

Just take note some XLT's did have body color match grill. Go to an car selling site IF the dealers have them labeled right then you'll see exterior differences right away.

Just take note some XLT's did have body color match grill.

Agreed. There's a 99-01 XLT kicking around town that's all Wedgewood Blue (including grille shell) and has a 5.0 to boot. I hoped to find something like that when I scored my EB 4 years back as the Wedgewood was the colour of my '00 Sport and I liked it.

Yea my dads 00 was I believe the wedgewood blue with gray fender flares like the EB's fender flare style.

i have 1997 ford explorer XL/XLT 4-DOOR WITH FULLTIME AWD WITH 4X4 HIGH AND 4X4 LOW 4.0 SOHC E.F.I V-6 WITH 3:73 LSD REAR CHECK MY OUT MYSPACE.COM/DANWHORE97 OR FACEBOOK/DANIEL RAY CAMACHO

but the XLT's had chrome bumpers...right?

Not all XLT's some 99-01's had painted bumpers that would match fender flares and some were black with the chrome fog light inserts.

Chrome bumper isn't always a good thing though..mine is rusty!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back