• Register Today It's free!

Good replacement Subwoofer

jacek82

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited V8
I got a 1998 Mountaineer that needs a sub. It came with the factory sub just the speaker went out and need some recommadations. What size came in this truck?

Jacek

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

was it the MTX like I've got in my one? that's a 10" if it it... any 10" should do it, but try to get one that's rated the same..

29032007004.jpg

Si

I replaced mine with the JL stealth box and a JL 10" sub. I also installed an amp to power the sub. It would be great if they made a 12" stealth box for our X's. Good luck with your decision. If you want to see the box, check out the link at the bottom. You will see it when I installed the sound deadener.

I just recently replaced the sub in my '99 Explorer. Mine was an 8" sub which was attached to the enclosure with a bolt going directly into the back of the magnet. If yours is the same as mine then you will have to pull off the rear plastic panel, or at least pull it mostly off, in order to pull out the entire enclosure. I then popped in an 8" Sony Xplode sub which has worked quite nicely for me. I did have to make some rubber gaskets just for spacing purposes though because the Sony is about 1/4" too deep for the enlosure. This was the best option that I could find after a few days searching. Hope that helps.

I got a 1998 Mountaineer that needs a sub. It came with the factory sub just the speaker went out and need some recommadations. What size came in this truck?

Jacek

It should have come with an 8" subwoofer in the rear. You could look into replacing with any sub that is an 8" sub that goes no deeper than the stock subwoofer or look into replacing with a stealth box and amplifier. MTX, JL Audio, are the most commonly used. But any pic of brand would most likely work considering they make an 8" woofer. Just remember depth issues. Make sure it is not deeper than the stock sub.

Private PM message sent to jacek82.

I have a 98 Mountaineer as well and I blew my sub. Do you guys suggest I replace it for now? I wanted to get a box put in the back but I know its gonna be expensive ($300+) and I kinda just want a quick fix for now. Thanks alot for your help in advance.

crutchfield is way over priced imo....still a good site for info on products though.

I wanted $35 for a factory 8inch sub shipped to your door. Let me know if you're interested.

In my "Budget Bass" project, used an 8" Goldwood GW-8PC-30-4. It was on sale at Parts Express for $23.72. The stock enclosure opening was the 6½", so I carved it out to accept an 8". Unfortunately, the stock JBL grill does not have enough clearance, so I am still working on modifying it. I am unsure on how this sub would perform with the stock amp. Mine is powered by a small Alpine amp for now.

th_Goldwood_GW_8PC_30_4.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/Goldwood_GW_8PC_30_4.jpg

th_sub_opening.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/sub_opening.jpg

Anyone here know the size of the sub on a 2000 Mountaineer V8 with MACH audio system? I still have yet to pull the panel off. Also I need the one that pops right in with the correct depth requirement. Thanks fellaz!

Anyone here know the size of the sub on a 2000 Mountaineer V8 with MACH audio system? I still have yet to pull the panel off. Also I need the one that pops right in with the correct depth requirement. Thanks fellaz!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206238

This was my HU install in thread in my 2000 Ex but if you scroll down you'll see the Rockford 8" i put in my factory box. The speaker is slightly deeper so I had to make a ring out of MDF so it would bolt to the box well. Even though the speaker stuck out further than the factory one it did not make a difference with the panel that covers it. it didnt hit at all.

Do you think it will make a big different if I
1 - don't mount the rear of the aftermarket speaker to the enclosure since there is no place to screw in the rear mounting screw?
2 - use polyfill? There wasn't any there prior to the replacement.
Thanks in advance!
AE

The Kenwood Excelon KFCXW800F is a shallow mount 8" sub direct replacement for the stock sub. I did use polyfill to repack the enclosure and an adhesive sound deadener on the inside of the quarter panel when replacing the enclosure. Sounds great, much better performance than stock, and not a budget buster.

Back