24" Rims on a 2000 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

24" Rims on a 2000 Limited

is it possible to fit 24x10 rims on a 2000 limited? and if so what would be the suggested tire size for this setup?

I'm looking to get some rims for the summer and I came across a couple sets of 24" rims I liked but want to be sure they will fit before I buy them

Thanks in advance guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well....a 10" wide rim is going to have to be an exact offset to fit without rubbing. I used to have 20x10s and I had about 1/4" between the top of the tire and the control arm in the front.

About the 24" diameter, this is going to give you problems. I think I've seen one 2nd gen Explorer with 24s and I'm almost sure they rubbed, and rubbed pretty bad. This is simply too large, in my opinion for the size of the truck. Not only will it make your truck an absolute dog, it will not ride very good either.

My advice would be to step down to 22s where you can fit them comfortably.

the 22" Rims were my second option. I had 20s last year and they fit decent but there was so much space left in the wheel well I wanted something bigger so naturally i wanted to check and see if the 24" rims would fit. Per your suggestion I'll go with a 22" rim and a decent size tire

Thanks

id suggest sticking with 20s and lowering your truck...it will give the appearance of 22s while accelerating better, handling better, braking better, and being cheaper.

I just put 20 X 8.5s on my truck with + 10mm offset and although the rear sits lower than the front I was suprised that Im probably only going to have to drop the front 2-3 inches to even it out and get a slight rake the the front.

I had 20's on it last year and they didn't look all that great to me. Almost immediately after mounting them to the truck I was wishing I got a bigger size. I do plan on putting a Xspec suspension in the truck at some point which will lower it a little but for now I'm just going to do the 22's as suggested. Just think I was originally going to 24's until I was told they won't fit properly...

20's are 1999, this is 2009 people can fit 26's on this things now (not sure why or how) but it's possible.

Another option is 24x8.5's... shown here with 255/30/24 tires

and my bagged charger on 22's (which a year ago was "impossible") now everyone does it (safely i might add)

31979150005_large.jpg

20's are 1999, this is 2009 people can fit 26's on this things now (not sure why or how) but it's possible.

Another option is 24x8.5's... shown here with 255/30/24 tires

and my bagged charger on 22's (which a year ago was "impossible") now everyone does it (safely i might add)

31979150005_large.jpg

BALLIN!!! lol!!

l_dacf9ac1bbe0c2bfd475fd4147adfe03.png

24x9s up front....24x10s in the rear
275/45/24s no rub at all

Greenley on 24's

This is my truck on 24's, i had a rubbing problem with the foot rails, but the paint shop shaved them and repainted them. i would also like to add, that I had my whole front end redone. If you think you can just go buy these massive rims, and slap them on a small SUV such as these, you are saddly mistaken, and if you do, you will be asking for and will get alot of trouble.

Link to Greenley
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3303529

Hope im not breaking any rules with the link, just showing that this can be done safely!!

This is my truck on 24's, i had a rubbing problem with the foot rails, but the paint shop shaved them and repainted them. i would also like to add, that I had my whole front end redone. If you think you can just go buy these massive rims, and slap them on a small SUV such as these, you are saddly mistaken, and if you do, you will be asking for and will get alot of trouble.

Link to Greenley
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3303529

Hope im not breaking any rules with the link, just showing that this can be done safely!!

Wow, your tires are WAYYYYYY to big. Your speedo has to be off more than mine... My truck (97 explorer) Fit 24"s easy, no cutting, no rubbing. 255/30/24. As far as trouble, just from the cops...

Wow, your tires are WAYYYYYY to big. Your speedo has to be off more than mine... My truck (97 explorer) Fit 24"s easy, no cutting, no rubbing. 255/30/24. As far as trouble, just from the cops...
I have 305's

just put 22" Bonetti Style 81 rims with Nitto 420S 265/35/22 on my 08 explorer fit perfect and went with 22" because of more sidewall for better ride. 25 profile are just too little side wall bad ride. with mine i really dont even notice a difference in ride between stock.

There is alotta hate toward's big rims/tires. To each is own regarding their own taste's. 24's will fit on a 2nd gen. Exp/Mounty IF you have the right offset, rim width, & tire size. For example 24x10's should not be used on these vehicles period just due to the fact thats 2 wide. 9.0 & 9.5 inch wheels are the ideal size. With a high offset a 275/30/24 tire is recommended on a 9.0 width rim plus you will get increased load handling with that size tire. If a mid offset is used say a (15) a 255/30/24 tire is recommended with a 9.5 width wheel. 24x10 rims stretch your tires beyond the recommended wheel width, void your warranty, and take away from what already lil sidewall you already have. Stay away from crappy Sunny,Ling Long, Durun and other poorly made tires for they wont last as long. I personally have 255/30/24 Nexen n7000 tires on my 2004 Mercury Mountaineer on a 24x9.5 wheel with a 15 offset. Absolutly no problems whatsoever, same turning radius as stocks, no rub, and no mods were needed. I just upgraded my rotors (drilled/slotted) and brake pads (Hawk-ceramic). Hope this helps to anyone seekng to upsize. I have linked this to my Cardomain page................ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/706233

Back