2nd row console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd row console

4dolls

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
We recently purchased the 2013 Limited with 2nd row bucket seats. It did not have the 2nd row console but we thought we could get one easily added. However, now we are hearing that Ford doesn't have the 2nd row console as a part item so I'm looking elsewhere. Does anyone have an idea on where to go for that? Or perhaps adding arm rests to the 2nd row bucket seats?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum 4dolls!

There are a couple of threads dealing with this topic. If you use the search function, you should be able to find them. I would use keywords such as 2nd row console, and maybe 2011, 2012 to help get the appropriate results.

The take home message from the threads that you find is that while it is only a $100 option to have added at the factory, since Ford does not sell it as a unit, it has to be pieced together from parts to the tune of around $900! Others on here have found units from salvage yards to install. Internet searches would be helpful for that.

As for adding armrests, I have not seen anything on attempting that.

Good luck :)

We recently purchased the 2013 Limited with 2nd row bucket seats. It did not have the 2nd row console but we thought we could get one easily added. However, now we are hearing that Ford doesn't have the 2nd row console as a part item so I'm looking elsewhere. Does anyone have an idea on where to go for that? Or perhaps adding arm rests to the 2nd row bucket seats?
I just want to add my welcome to the Forum as well 4dolls.:wavey:
As Vince mentioned, there have been previous discussions on the 2nd row console with the end result being that it can't be ordered as a 'stand alone' item. Being this Explorer model is still a fairly new one, I would think that finding a 'wrecked' one would be difficult.
If you have an auto wrecker yard near you, perhaps you could go there and ask them to do a search through their network. Just a thought.

Peter

I made the same mistake! My dealer quoted me $1300 but, gave me the detailed parts list. I took that and went shopping on line and found I could get all the parts I need for $800-900. I'm still debating what to do and I would be interested to know if you found a cheaper alternative.

Hey all. Yup same here... amazing how a $100 factory option is quoted at $1243 + labour afterwards. I guess I found this forum too late.

Any idea if an aftermarket option is available?

Hey all. Yup same here... amazing how a $100 factory option is quoted at $1243 + labour afterwards. I guess I found this forum too late.

Any idea if an aftermarket option is available?
Welcome to the Forum MunnyGuy.:wavey:
Yes, unfortunately you found your answer too late. I guess the cost is really no different than if tried to build your Explorer from scratch by ordering all the parts needed. I'm quite sure the final bill would exceed the cost of the vehicle built at the factory.
I haven't heard of any aftermarket units. You could try searching for one from automobile recyclers but I doubt you would find too many written off 2011 -2013 Explorers. Good luck.

Peter

Just wanted to chime in the I believe the flex uses the same console. Since they have been around longer, it might be easier to find one that has been scrapped. This is what I have heard -- I have not tried it myself, so buyer beware.

I'm in the same boat as you having the buckets with no console. At first I wanted to add a console, but after having the Explorer for 6 months I have decided it is not a necessity. The main reason is easier entry and exit to the third row, not having to fold a seat to get into the back. Also with the third row folded down, the way I have it 90% of the time, there is easier access to storage behind the second row.
Hope this helps

So far adding the second row console is not an easy option. It comes as a factory installed option at about $100, but I have learned that there is no kit or preassembled console to just add yourself. The dealer can order the parts (there are apprx. 25) and install for a cost upwards of $1,000! Ridiculous right - why do they do this?

So far adding the second row console is not an easy option. It comes as a factory installed option at about $100, but I have learned that there is no kit or preassembled console to just add yourself. The dealer can order the parts (there are apprx. 25) and install for a cost upwards of $1,000! Ridiculous right - why do they do this?
I'm guessing that there really isn't a demand for the console alone. The majority of owners would order it when getting the 2nd row buckets. This is something the salesman should make an effort to point out to prospective buyers who are getting the 2nd row bucket seats.

Peter

Walmart

I bought 1 at walmart for $30. Not fancy, but has cup holder and a storage area. Put a small pillow on it to rest your arm on. It matches my interior.

As earlier responses note there is still no easy way to get a second row console unless ordered from the factory. However, it is an expensive dealer install. I have obtained a second row console and wonder if anyone has any knowledge on installation instructions? If not I will ask the dealer.

As earlier responses note there is still no easy way to get a second row console unless ordered from the factory. However, it is an expensive dealer install. I have obtained a second row console and wonder if anyone has any knowledge on installation instructions? If not I will ask the dealer.

I can't help you on the install, but may I ask where you obtained the console?

Connections - only because my brother knows someone at Ford! I was very lucky to snag one!

I can tell you my 10 year old uses the console non-stop when she is in the Explorer. Great place to put your ipod and "hide it" when you get out of the car. Best $100 we spent on the Explorer (ok, $850, because the buckets in the second row are one of my FAVORITE parts of the interior because it opens everything up).

Update on my 2nd row console installation. If you are lucky enough to locate an assembled 2nd row console it is a very easy install. Flip the two bucket seats up to access the full floor and allow room to work. Remove the plastic floor plate, which reveals the mounting bracket and use the same bolts to attach the console which fits over the bracket. I did not have to trim the carpet (as suggested to me and strongly recommend that you don't) and also did not have to utilize the floor mounting holes located on the bottom front of the console as it fits quite snug with just using the back bracket mount. Without cutting the carpet you can easily remove the console and retain the finished look. If you have small children it may be easier for them to jump in the third row without fussing with the second row seats! Love the second row console!

Hello, I can also confirm that the Flex console works on the 2011-2013 Explorer. I did it on mine. Just bought the console from ebay, painted it and went to an upholstery shop to add the right color leather. All in all spent about $200 bucks.

Has anyone purchased the rear center console for the 5th gen explorers and did the install? Is it worth paying the dealer to do it or easy to do yourself? I would rather not do it myself if it requires drilling into the floor.

Just looking for opinions. I am looking at installing p/n GB5Z-78045A36-AB, which is the Ebony/Redline to match the 2016 sport interior with red stitching. The dealer quoted me $620 installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm curious to this as well. I'm wanting one on our 2015 Sport, but what is crazy is that it was like a $200 option when you built the vehicle, now it's going to cost $600.

Back