Max tire size - XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Max tire size - XLT

Post number 25 has been selected as best answered.

jcerrion

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Does any one with a background with tires know the max tire size i could fit without rubbing or line issues?

tire rack only recommends the 245/60-18" for me and im looking for a more aggressive tread pattern than my stock Michelin's. I would prefer to not have to buy new wheels though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bueller bump.

Bueller.....? Bueller?

If you did get tires with a larger overall diameter, would they be able to recalibrate your speedometer to read correctly?

I like the idea of a slightly bigger tire on the Ex, I think it would look visually better with the wheel wells filled a bit more.

Does any one with a background with tires know the max tire size i could fit without rubbing or line issues?

tire rack only recommends the 245/60-18" for me and im looking for a more aggressive tread pattern than my stock Michelin's. I would prefer to not have to buy new wheels though.

Plug in your OEM tire size and it can give you some ideas of tire sizes you can work with.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Plug in your OEM tire size and it can give you some ideas of tire sizes you can work with.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

I get the impression that the OP is looking at getting tires that are a larger overall diameter, and not just changing the tire profile or tread width.

Jcerrion, are you looking to have wider tire or bigger diameter tire?

I've got on mine 265-60-r18 without any problems. I hope this helps.

I've got on mine 265-60-r18 without any problems. I hope this helps.

would you mind snapping a picture or two? I want a beefier tire on my EX. thanks for the input.

I get the impression that the OP is looking at getting tires that are a larger overall diameter, and not just changing the tire profile or tread width.

Jcerrion, are you looking to have wider tire or bigger diameter tire?

diameter mostly. i want something less "luxury" looking and more sporty/ offroad.

diameter mostly. i want something less "luxury" looking and more sporty/ offroad.

Gotcha. I'm not a big fan of lower profile tires for a number of reasons.

I think a beefier tire would look better on the Ex and fill the wheel wells a little better.

Looks good, and I see from what you put on, that your overall tire diameter changed. Did you have the speedometer calibrated, or do you just add 3% to your indicated speed?

I didn't have the speedo recalibrated, the reason is because these are a second set of wheels / tires for winter use. I still have the originals (245's).

I know that there is an added error on the speed / odometer reading but is not that bad.

The increase in diameter is slight, there is no fender rubbing. However you feel there is more rubber on the road with added grip but a little less acceleration.

Okay. I like how they fill the wheel well up just a bit more.

I didn't have the speedo recalibrated, the reason is because these are a second set of wheels / tires for winter use. I still have the originals (245's).

I know that there is an added error on the speed / odometer reading but is not that bad.

The increase in diameter is slight, there is no fender rubbing. However you feel there is more rubber on the road with added grip but a little less acceleration.

dang i like that look so much better. Nice color X too! are those blizzack tires?

Those are Hankooks W409, they are very decent not only in snow and ice, but also on dry pavement.

guys, lets say i bump up a tire size to 265/60/18

Any idea how much itd cost to get speedo recalibrated? Im looking into Nitto tires, something with a more agressive tread pattern than the stock michelins

Max tire size on 2014 Explorer XLT

Hey, I am looking at some used rims and tires I found for my 14 Explorer. It is currently on factory 20s with 255/50R20s. The new set is 20x8.5 rims with +38 offset and the tires are 285/50R20s. Does anyone know if they will fit without rubbing?

Factory suspension setup...

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum sdexter.:wavey:
When changing tire sizes, the generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. With the 285 size you are exceeding that. It difference is almost 4% (3.93). That also means that when your speedo reads 100 kmh you are going almost 104. Unless you also use dedicated Winter tires, that extra width will make it more difficult to drive in snow etc. The concern apparently is that anything over 3% will put undo strain on the brake system leading to a possible failure.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum sdexter.:wavey:
When changing tire sizes, the generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. With the 285 size you are exceeding that. It difference is almost 4% (3.93). That also means that when your speedo reads 100 kmh you are going almost 104. Unless you also use dedicated Winter tires, that extra width will make it more difficult to drive in snow etc. The concern apparently is that anything over 3% will put undo strain on the brake system leading to a possible failure.

Peter

My speedo reads approx 2 to 3mph high. I've confirmed this with GPS at multiple speeds and with those police radar units, and this seems to be consistent across every other Explorer we test drove. If you upsize your tires by 5%, and travel on the 85mph sections of toll roads in Texas, when your speedometer reads 85mph the car is actually reading a speed of 82 mph, and your actual speed of travel is 82*1.05 = 86.1 mph. Find me a cop who will pull someone over for going 86 in an 85, which is the fastest I know of you can legally go in the United States.

Back