How to bypass door ajar switch for liftgate glass | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to bypass door ajar switch for liftgate glass

btld

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer V8
The door ajar error shows up frequently. So I replaced all the door ajar switches for all doors and the liftgate glass. I thought I solved the problem. But it showed up again, especially if I drove on bumpy roads, and I usually heard some subtle loose liftglass moving sound. So I stopped the car. I open and close each door to see if it kills the door ajar message. As I suspected, the liftglass is the one causing the door ajar error. Since I already replaced that switch, it might be some mechanical mounting problem with the liftglass. Ford issused some service guides on this mechanical design problem. I don't want to repair the glass now, since, for me, it still feels safe.

So what I want to do, is to bypass the ajar switch in the liftglass. It's an over design by ford. If I splice the wire together, will the car think the door is closed? or the opposite.

Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same problem man
Posted via Mobile Device

to solve this problem is probably to get a diagnostic
Posted via Mobile Device

My side mirror is also messed up by some jackass. When I get the mirror part, I will take time to repair all. I'll test which way to quiet this sensor in liftglass. It's so annoying.

The door ajar error shows up frequently. So I replaced all the door ajar switches for all doors and the liftgate glass. I thought I solved the problem. But it showed up again, especially if I drove on bumpy roads, and I usually heard some subtle loose liftglass moving sound. So I stopped the car. I open and close each door to see if it kills the door ajar message. As I suspected, the liftglass is the one causing the door ajar error. Since I already replaced that switch, it might be some mechanical mounting problem with the liftglass. Ford issused some service guides on this mechanical design problem. I don't want to repair the glass now, since, for me, it still feels safe.

So what I want to do, is to bypass the ajar switch in the liftglass. It's an over design by ford. If I splice the wire together, will the car think the door is closed? or the opposite.

Thanks for reading.

The switch either makes contact or breaks contact. Use a multimeter to check. Once you figure that out you are good to go. If the switch makes contact when the glass is closed, then splice the wires together. If the switch breaks contact when the door is closed, then leave the wires apart.

My door ajar switch for my liftgate glass doesn't work at all. It is on my list of things to take care of once the weather gets better. Where is this switch located? Any pointers on replacing it? Once I dive into this I can give you better info on bypassing it.

Check out my how to for installing signal mirrors. Good info there on replacing your mirrors.

Thanks - Rondo

Mines is too, evrytime I hit even the slightest groove
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Rondo,
Thank you. The side mirror is easy, since I knew how to remove the assembly through door panel (3 screws hold it, just the same process like replace the door ajar sensor).
I will post the pics of how to dissemble the rear door panel. Just be careful. I break some plastic holding taps during the process. But I still managed to put them on securely. If you need to replace the sensor, (which I don't recommend, since no matter what, it still gives ajar error), you have to remove the rear door latch or some other stuff (I don't quite recall now) to access the switch. If you just need to quiet the sensor, just either splice wires (use quick splicer) or remove the connector and cover the connector by electric tapes. No need to remove the latches.
I wish there are no other isssues like transmission to mess with. Right now it drives and handles perfectly with strong V8. I've put mobil 1 and self flushed with volvoline vv360 transmission fluid (another long story, really PITA), new michelin tires, spark plugs (not easy for DIY, two of them cannot easily access, not like my previous Mazda 626 I4, finally sent to dealer for it). Another issue is the noise coming from rear differential. I cannot hear it. But the mechanic showed me the potential break down on the road. I can bear it now, since it will cost about $1200 to fix with a new one, until it breaks down.

Pics would be great. The problem I'm having is the dome lights don't come on when I open the liftgate. I would really like them to come on, so I suspect the liftgate door ajar switch.

Standing by for pics...................................:popcorn:

Rondo,
There are two sensors in the rear liftgate. One is for the whole part, the other one is for liftglass. They are all behind the same panel. The one in the bottom (for the whole rear liftgate) is easy to replace.

Great, thank you!

This afternoon, I put the side mirror on passenger side with ease. I also silenced the sensor by splicing the wires together coming to the liftglass door ajar sensor. I found this without multimeter. When I disconnect the sensor (which means open circuit), door ajar shows up. So the other way by connecting them together means door is locked securely. I connect the wires by the quicksplicer, work fantastic.
The liftglass ajar sensor is only loosely attached by Ford's design. That explains why ajar error still there after replacing with a new sensor.
The photos below show how to remove the backpanel of rear liftgate.
1. Remove these two screws,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
2. Remove these two screws

3. Then apply forces along the rims of the plastic panel. Be CAREFUL the plastic tabs around the upper, left and right edges are horizontal. So apply force in horizontal way for these. Otherwise you will break them like what I did the first time.
4. Loose the yellow clip that connect the latch with the rear exterior door handle. Then remove the latch mechanism secured by the three screws.
\\\

5. You can see switch for the whole door in this picture. It's easy to replace.

6. For liftglass switch, I also remove the 4 screws around the square metal brackets, in order to remove it. After that, I spliced the two wires together to silence the sensor.
7. Finally assemble them reversely.

Thanks for the pics. I really appreciate it! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bottom liftgate ajar switch

For anyone wondering how to remove the switch (as I did) you simply rotate it through 90 degrees and it pulls out. In my case I removed the liftgate catch by unscrewing the three star head bolts and pulled the catch away from the panel to give plenty of access - no need to disconnect the cable.

I was able to get my switch out by removing the bolts in the catch and twisting the switch out by hand. I had a sticky switch. I freed it up, lubed it and now my interior lights come on when I open the liftgate glass. Happy days. :D

Paperclips to the rescue! :)

Thanks for the thread and the photos. This helped a lot. I especially appreciated the note about the horizontal direction of some of the cover retaining clips.

The thing I wanted to mention is that you do not have to make any permanent changes to the wiring if you want to bridge out these two switches (which is what I did). Since the circuit on the rear switches is closed when the doors are closed, all you need to do is disconnect the switch wires from the latch mechanism and shove a cut paperclip (U shaped) into the sockets of the cable connector. I did this for both switches. If you ever decide to replace the switches, just remove the paperclip before reconnecting the cable to the new switch.

:)

This past weekend I just figured out that the switch can be removed from the assy. Been running with front passenger switch bypassed for months due to it being the cause of a dead battery. Cleaned and lubed the switch and it's all good now. I pulled back a tab on the door lock, then turned the switch to get it out.

This will be the same situation with a 2010? Im having the same issue.?
any help?

Probably is. U just need to tear into it and find the wiring to the switch.

Ford Explorer (2003) liftgate panel disassembly

Hello btld: I am having the same problem as others, liftgate open signal. Saw your post from several years ago and you had written down the steps to remove the liftgate panel along with the photo's. Unfortunetly, the photos have expired and I can not see them. Can you repost the photos.

This thing is driving me nuts and has killed by battery while I was on vacation. (Apparently alarm keep going off and dome light came on) Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back