• Register Today It's free!

99 Ranger SAS Brake problems

ozziemo27

Reaction score
City, State
Wayland, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ranger
Hey folks, I am having a problem with the brakes on my SAS'd ranger. My setup is as follows:

dana 44 with factory, new brakes
ford 9 inch with late 70s chevy pickup/blazer calipers, new
factory booster
late 90s f-250 brake master cylinder (bigger bore diameter than factory ranger mc)
ABS module delete

The problem is i have almost no brakes, the very last maybe 1/5th of my brake pedal before the floor will barely stop the truck, the brakes go almost to the floor when the truck is running but when the truck is off, they firm right up.

Things I've tried:
Replacing the master cylinder
bench bleeding master cylinder and bled the brakes numerous times
Checked adjustment of the little set-screw that is on the booster so that it is in direct contact with the master cylinder plunger thingie, no gap there
my bleeders are facing up so my calipers aren't upside-down or anything like that.

Any ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated, this is putting a major drag on my build. Not sure if i need a different proportioning valve or something, obviously the truck had drum brakes in the rear factory, but I swapped in the f-250 master cylinder to help out that issue. It had very poor brakes with the current setup before I swapped the master cylinder out as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bleeders on a stock Ford F-150 Dana 44 are nearly in line with the banjo bolts. They should face towards the rear and slightly above the banjo bolts. I had all kinds of brake problems with my SAS as well. Finally got them to work with lots of bleeding. Pedal pressure is still soft until the lower half of the cycle. Try pulling the front calipers off and gravity bleeding them with the bleeders pointing nearly straight up. That helped mine.
I am considering installing a F-150 master cylinder I have at the house to see if that gives me more pedal pressure.

i had the similar problem on 98 X. After excessive bleeding i had a shop fix it, after I fixed a upside down caliper (Dumbass moment) They found one of the rear calipers was leaking because the washer for the banjo bolts were not installed correctly (dumbass moment number 2) I know that once the brake system is opened up on the X air gets into the ABS module and the abs has to be bled at a shop via scan tool. I know you did delete yours But if its still inside the vehicle and has brake lines running into still that could be where your air is trapped. But start simple first and check installation of all your parts. Im not familiar with SAS so tell me if anything I am saying here is BS. I also changed and bench bled my MC hoping that was it, and it wasn't. Oh well truck has a new MC. New parts never hurt.

The bleeders on a stock Ford F-150 Dana 44 are nearly in line with the banjo bolts. They should face towards the rear and slightly above the banjo bolts. I had all kinds of brake problems with my SAS as well. Finally got them to work with lots of bleeding. Pedal pressure is still soft until the lower half of the cycle. Try pulling the front calipers off and gravity bleeding them with the bleeders pointing nearly straight up. That helped mine.
I am considering installing a F-150 master cylinder I have at the house to see if that gives me more pedal pressure.

It turned out it was a combination of the front brakes having trapped air, I popped them off, pointed the bleeders upwards and old-school bled them (pumping brakes) and a junk brake booster, I tried plumbing in an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear line and while I'm not sure if that was necessary for them to work as good as they do but I was able to adjust them so they are just right, thanks for the help and I hope this will help someone in the future! When I turned the caliper's bleeders upright, all kinds of air came out.

I got that advise from a guy that does all kinds of axle and brake conversions. Mine have also gotten better by just driving it around. I drove it about 700 miles in a week on a Mojave Road trip and they got better over the trip.

Back