radio stuck in headphone! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radio stuck in headphone!

LucSTR

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Hello all just bought a 97 XLT and the radio is stuck in headphone. I have tried pressing 3 and 5 together but there is still no sound and when the radio is turned on it comes on in headphone mode. I'm at a loss can I just disconnect the back controls I don't need them. this is the second stock head unit the previous owner put in to try and fix the problem. If I get an AM head unit will I loose my 6 disk changer? Thanks for the help, LucSTR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried pulling the radio fuse?

That I have not all the lights and changing stations worknow just no sound but I shall give that a try. Thanks!

I meant pull the fuse to actually reset the radio. Or just disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Same idea.

Oh OK. Well I shall give that a go. Thank you.

Nope still no sound. No one else have this problem?

Have you tried plugging headphones in to see if it actually is going to them?
And if i recall.. there's a button back there to change to speakers.

yeah I have tried the 3 and 5 button to turn off back controls and nothing just went out and bought a Sony deck from Walmart and the dash kit and harness kit bit harness kit is wrong so gotta go to best buy and buy the right one when they open. 200 bucks better fix this damn problem. Rear controls are the dumbest idea ever!

Well I'm super pissed put in the new radio in and still no sound what am I missing here?

I have the amp wire hooked up. only wires that are not are the solid green and solid orange. does this still have to do with the damn headphone ****.

Blue on the aftermarket unit generally is remote on, not blue/white like Ford uses.

The blue and orange are from the harness kit. Blue is power antenna and orange is illumination(have Dimmer wire orange white from harness to ill. on head unit). Guess I may just take it to ford to see if they can fix the problem with the factory cuz whatever that problem is its messing with the aftermarket not letting it work.

Edit: Could it just be the rear control? Guess I'll try and find one of them.

Like I said, did you try the rear controls to swap to speakers?
There's an actual button back there that has a little speaker icon and a headphone icon to control where sound goes..

Yeah that was one of the first things I've tried. don't think the button is broken, it clicks like it should when I press 3 and 5 on the dash unit To turn off rear control. But every time the stereo turns on it comes on with the headphone light on.

Hmm, probably the amp is having a fritz.
Is there sound coming out of the headphone ports? Try plugging something into them.

The rear controls are somehow wired in a somewhat series connection with the speakers. The rear controls can take priority control of the head unit and can cause numerous headaches. If you disconnect the big connector that feeds the center console wiring which includes the rear radio control, 12v accessory lighter, and the center console blower fan, then the front 2 speakers will work normal but not the rears. This may be enough to unlock your radio from being stuck in headphone mode. If that works then you can probably need to change the rear control panel (and or center console wiring harness) which probably is causing the weird problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's was going to be my next step found one on ebay for 20 bucks. Thanks for the info on the harness, if the new rear from eBay doesn't solve it then I'll do that.

Back