Interior Dome Lights Not Working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Dome Lights Not Working

Hi Return2GU08,

Going to the dealership is a great idea; you'll be in good hands and they'll get this concern resolved for you. I noticed that you live in Guam; if you need any additional assistance you can give our Asia Pacific group a call at +1 (313) 594-4857.

Crystal

Hi Return2GU08,
I had my Explorer repaired at a local dealer and now everything is working fine. They replaced a faulty micro relay in module.
Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks JavierF, waiting for appointment for mine. Will post results. BTW, mine's also going in for windshield seal replacement due to whistling/wind noise.

Hi Return2GU08,
I had my Explorer repaired at a local dealer and now everything is working fine. They replaced a faulty microrelay in module.
Good luck!

Great news, JavierF! I'm glad to hear that your dealer took great care of you.

Thanks JavierF, waiting for appointment for mine. Will post results. BTW, mine's also going in for windshield seal replacement due to whistling/wind noise.

Let us know how things go, Return2GU08!

Crystal

I've had my 2013 Explorer XLT since the week of Thanksgiving - so right at around 2 months. Over the past few weeks I had been noticing a similar thing as the original poster - except NOTHING comes on - no lights, no dashboard / MFT reaction - nothing. I almost thought the battery was dead. In fact, just today I was getting really pissed because I was trying to get my 4 year old buckled in while parked in the garage and it was so dark in there I couldn't see the seat belt buckle.

I had noticed previously that when I go to the passenger side to put my work stuff in the front seat, opening the passenger door does (or WAS) making the vehicle 'wake up'. But today I'm not sure that was happening when my wife got in the car. As soon as I put the key in the ignition, everything comes alive, like I'd expect.

This does not sit well with me. I hope this doesn't begin a trend of relatively minor, but extremely annoying issues. This is the most expensive vehicle I've ever bought, and I don't like the idea of feeling like I'm going to regret it...

I already have an appointment scheduled to take my wife's 08 Escape hybrid to the shop on Tuesday. I'm going to talk to my salesman while I'm there.

Hi All,
Just posting an update to my interior lighting issue. Finally got my appointment to turn my Ex in this past Thursday and got it back Saturday a.m. They replaced the fuse and found lights flickering, traced it to a loose pin connection with a connector plug, re-seated plug and all is well with lights. Now puddle lights and interior cabin lights come on when doors are opened; steering wheel buttons backlighting and center console gear selector lights come on; and interior light switch on lower left of dash below fog light switch/button works. They also replaced the windshield right-hand A-pillar moulding (?), but haven't had a chance to check whistling/wind noise due to heavy rains yesterday, so hopefully we'll get to test it out today. Wife and I are very happy with the vehicle and pleased with turnaround time with local service department.

Hello all, I too have this same issue on my 2013 ford explorer. I recently purchased this car with 27k on it already. With the warrantee expiring soon, I would to address these issues and i'd appreciate it much if a ford customer service person (crystal or Cory) would be kind enough to assist me with setting up a warrantee visit to the dealer. I am located in Hamden CT.
Thank you or our anticipated response.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Hello all, I too have this same issue on my 2013 ford explorer. I recently purchased this car with 27k on it already. With the warrantee expiring soon, I would to address these issues and i'd appreciate it much if a ford customer service person (crystal or Cory) would be kind enough to assist me with setting up a warrantee visit to the dealer. I am located in Hamden CT.
Welcome to the Forum CTexplorer.:wavey:
Are you saying that the dome lights were not working when you purchased the vehicle? If so, this should have been addressed by the dealer before selling it. I would take it right back and ask them to fix the issue before getting Crystal involved. It should be covered under the original warranty.
If you wish to contact Crystal, send her a PM (Private Message) with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer name/state. To do that, just go to a post by FordCustSrvc and click on that name in the left margin and choose the option to "Send a private message..."
or click on the following link and click on Contact Info tab. Good luck.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=157968

Peter

Hi Peter, thank you for your post. Well, I didn't realize the dome lights / steering wheel lights were not working until I left the dealer (last person to leave @ 7pm on a Saturday evening.) The salesman didn't have a clue about this car. The dealer was an out of state dealer; I had a 2 hour drive back to hamden CT. I was told that the car was fully serviced, it also had a sticker confirming that it was fully serviced. Keep in mind that the dealer was not a ford dealer that's why I thought I'd be best to just take advantage of the warrantee and have a food dealer take a look at it or me.
Thanks

Hi Peter, thank you for your post. Well, I didn't realize the dome lights / steering wheel lights were not working until I left the dealer (last person to leave @ 7pm on a Saturday evening.) The salesman didn't have a clue about this car. The dealer was an out of state dealer; I had a 2 hour drive back to hamden CT. I was told that the car was fully serviced, it also had a sticker confirming that it was fully serviced. Keep in mind that the dealer was not a ford dealer that's why I thought I'd be best to just take advantage of the warrantee and have a food dealer take a look at it or me.
Thanks
If you check your Owner's Guide it seems that fuse #12 controls many of the items you are talking about. Are all those items listed for that fuse, inoperative?
I hope they have placed the interior fuse panel in a better location that the 2011 and 2012 models. There is no way I could get at that in mine. If other items are also not functioning then it could be a different problem.
Good luck.

BTW, it would be very helpful in answering future concerns if you put your model and year in your profile so that it shows in the left margin where your name is. I had to go back to your previous post to check that info to make sure I was looking at the correct online manual.

Peter

Oh! I see, thank you very much Peter. I wonder if this fuse controls the lights under the mirrors too? They are also out.

Hi there, CTexplorer!

I see your private message in my inbox; my colleague Cory is helping out with PMs and will respond to your message soon. You can have your vehicle serviced at any Ford dealership. I recommend making an appointment at your earliest convenience to get things moving in the right direction. :)

Welcome to the Forum CTexplorer.:wavey:
Are you saying that the dome lights were not working when you purchased the vehicle? If so, this should have been addressed by the dealer before selling it. I would take it right back and ask them to fix the issue before getting Crystal involved. It should be covered under the original warranty.
If you wish to contact Crystal, send her a PM (Private Message) with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer name/state. To do that, just go to a post by FordCustSrvc and click on that name in the left margin and choose the option to "Send a private message..."
or click on the following link and click on Contact Info tab. Good luck.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=157968

Peter

Thanks, as always, for helping out, Peter!

Crystal

So kind of a weird scenario but we just picked up our explorer last saturday and I noticed that the dome lights will not come on when the dome light button on the dash is pushed, or when the doors are opened or when you unlock with the keyfob. BUT when you press the buttons to manually turn them on they all work so it doesnt appear to be fuse related.

I have read the manual, checked all of the settings etc

I have googled and searched forums and no one else seems to be having this problem, its under warranty but the local dealer wants me to drop it off all day which i can do but if its something simple like a setting or a series of buttons that i can press then that would be a lot easier.

2013 Explorer XLT

So kind of a weird scenario but we just picked up our explorer last saturday and I noticed that the dome lights will not come on when the dome light button on the dash is pushed, or when the doors are opened or when you unlock with the keyfob. BUT when you press the buttons to manually turn them on they all work so it doesnt appear to be fuse related.

I have read the manual, checked all of the settings etc

I have googled and searched forums and no one else seems to be having this problem, its under warranty but the local dealer wants me to drop it off all day which i can do but if its something simple like a setting or a series of buttons that i can press then that would be a lot easier.

2013 Explorer XLT
Welcome to the Forum 13okc.:wavey:
I think that some members here may be happy to have your issue. There is a thread in which members complain that the interior lights can't be turned OFF.
If yours was operating normally, then you would also find that they lights cannot be turned OFF. Will the interior lights come on when you increase the lighting level of the dash lights by using the dimmer switch? Is this a new or previously owned Explorer? If the latter, perhaps the previous owner found a way to disable them.

Peter

Ha! Yea I've seen a bunch of forums wanting them to stay off I read a ton of them thinking I would see what they did to do it and I would try to reverse the process but no luck

It was preowned

I also read that it could be disabled through the ford computer at the dealership

I have no idea but it's frustrating lol

Same problem when we picked up our 2013 Explorer !!! easy fix , fuse blown !

Just looking at your Owner's Guide and there are 2 fuses for the interior lights. One has the description "demand lamps" which I assume means when you turn them on using the switches. The other has the description "courtesy lamps" which I'm guessing means they come on when the door is opened. The first one is #4 and the second one is #12 . Both are located in the interior fuse box under the dash on the left hand side. It is possible that fuse 12 is not working if indeed I interpreted the descriptions correctly.

Peter

Well you were right! that #12 fuse for courtesy lights was blown

working good now!

BTW, that fuse panel location is the worst design ever.

Thanks for the help hopefully in the future i can pay it forward to someone else!

Interior Dome Lights don't turn on when door is opened

Hi,

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. When I open my doors the interior lights no longer go on. Any ideas why this is happening?

I've checked all the lights and they all work if manually turned on.

Thanks

Have you checked fuse #12 Chris ?

Your post has been moved to this existing thread.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuse #12 was the issue! I used the spare fuse from #2 as a replacement and the dome lights started working.

Thank you very much for your help!

Back