DRL (Daytime Running Lights) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

We had the dealer turn on our DRL on a 14 XLT last August using the instructions from the forum. They did say they couldn't get the white lights on but were definitely able to get the amber ones on. I don't know why, or if, there was an issue with the white lights as I think the 14 XLT has the regular headlights.

Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can only assume the reason is to prevent them from turning on the headlamps in those vehicles with HID. With only one option it can't be done purposely or accidentally.:dunno:

Peter

That makes perfect sense peterk9!:thumbsup: We are happy enough with the amber.:)

The factory DRL are on the amber lights. Although I can't confirm the amber lights come on with the headlamps since I no longer have my Explorer, I believe they do. If so, the intensity would likely be less than when they are used as DRLs. On vehicles using the headlamps as DRL, they are on at a lower power or they are on the high beams at a lower power until the headlights themselves are used at which time they act as normal lights.
The issue with DRLs is that they only turn on the front lights and not the back ones. I have seen cars with non auto headlights driving in the city at night with just the DRL lights on and no tail lights. The drivers forget to turn their lights on because they are on lit up city streets and don't notice the lack of light from their own vehicles.

Peter

I have the DRL option coming on my new '15. I am hoping they set it for the head lights. I drive on a lot of roads that require you to turn on your headlights. If it is on the ambers I may ask the dealer to change it. That or do an LED DRL strip. Ben looking at several. Need the Explorer so I can measure and see if it will look right if I add. Lumen has a set that will change from white to amber when the turn signal is activated.

Is it legal to use DRLs at night?

Peter's explanation is pretty much bang on and the answer to your question is no its not legal to use DRL at night for exactly the reasons Peter explained.

Typically State/Provincial Motor Vehicle Acts/Regs make mention of sundown or sunset time being the demarcation point when the OEM front, side, and rear lighting must be visible. Perhaps NHTSA also defines those rules.

MOST new vehicles with autolamps make the switch from DRL to headlamps for you with the dash/windshield mounted photocell, but not always.

Peter's explanation is pretty much bang on and the answer to your question is no its not legal to use DRL at night for exactly the reasons Peter explained.

Typically State/Provincial Motor Vehicle Acts/Regs make mention of sundown or sunset time being the demarcation point when the OEM front, side, and rear lighting must be visible. Perhaps NHTSA also defines those rules.

MOST new vehicles with autolamps make the switch from DRL to headlamps for you with the dash/windshield mounted photocell, but not always.

The reason I ask is because I put Oracle halos in my ex and can have them on with my headlights at the same time. So my back lights are on. Would this make it legal?

EVERY Explorer has the ability to have DRL's, that's just a function that is turned off/on in the diagnostic software settings that any Authorized Dealership Tech can access from his computer when connected to any Explorer using the IDS tool.

IDS tool is just a fancy cable that connects a laptop with Ford Diagnostic software to your vehicle.

After I added HID's I just left the DRL's set to headlamps, works fine. I will likely be driving my 2016 Magnetic SPORT before they burn out anyways!

I would assume you turn on your headlights at night and in doing so, bypasses the DRL circuit.

Is it legal to use DRLs at night?

DRL's

Just finished programming my lights to have the parking lights as DRL's via my VCMII. Very easy...

Thanks

EVERY Explorer has the ability to have DRL's, that's just a function that is turned off/on in the diagnostic software settings that any Authorized Dealership Tech can access from his computer when connected to any Explorer using the IDS tool.

IDS tool is just a fancy cable that connects a laptop with Ford Diagnostic software to your vehicle.

After I added HID's I just left the DRL's set to headlamps, works fine. I will likely be driving my 2016 Magnetic SPORT before they burn out anyways!

IDS is the software, the VCMII is the device that interfaces between the computer and odbII port... Much more than a cable...

I had my DRL's turned on 2 years ago (the amber turn signal bulbs). Since that time both bulbs burned out around 40000 miles. The problem is that there is a large metal support brace that goes right behind the bulbs and they can't be replaced on my 2011 model without removing or loosening the headlight assembly. The dealer told me this also required removing part of the grille assembly. Cost at the dealer to replace one side $60. Seems ridiculous. Has anyone else had this issue? Have they redesigned the support brace to allow easy access to change the bulbs? Makes me wonder if it was worth it to turn on the DRL since the turn signal bulbs burn out so quickly!

I had my DRL's turned on 2 years ago (the amber turn signal bulbs). Since that time both bulbs burned out around 40000 miles. The problem is that there is a large metal support brace that goes right behind the bulbs and they can't be replaced on my 2011 model without removing or loosening the headlight assembly. The dealer told me this also required removing part of the grille assembly. Cost at the dealer to replace one side $60. Seems ridiculous. Has anyone else had this issue? Have they redesigned the support brace to allow easy access to change the bulbs? Makes me wonder if it was worth it to turn on the DRL since the turn signal bulbs burn out so quickly!

I've done this a few years ago also. Mine are still working. I went to page 84 of the owners manual and followed those instructions but also unscrewed two additional screws which allowed the headlamp assy to move a bit.
Good luck

I had my dealer hook into my Explorer's systems with his "magic" laptop and set the amber lights as DRLs so that they come on automatically when I put in it to drive.

Cost me $100.

I live out in the "country" and drive a lot of narrow 2 lane roads.

I believe the DRLs are a great safety feature and allow oncoming drivers to see me easier.

Trainman. I had a 2011 and now a 2014 and had my dealer turn on my amber lights for free it only take 10 min. If you it from the dealer that turned your amber lights on and they charged youu $ 100.00 i would never buy from them again, they could have done it while you are have an oil change....!

Blinker as DRL

Is it possible to some how change my blinker lights to be DRL(stay on when driving) but blink when I use my turn signal?

Yes have the dealer enable DRL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it possible to some how change my blinker lights to be DRL(stay on when driving) but blink when I use my turn signal?
Using the Forum's 'Search' program and searching on "DRL" I found this thread and merged yours with it. No need for a new thread.

Peter

Back