Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 65 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
We had a very early build 2011 xlt and only once or twice in 35k miles did we notice the exhaust smell, it did have every other problem first though. Our new 2014 xlt, same truck in every way but a sun roof. Has the exhaust smell every time I get on it hard. Sometimes you almost have to roll the windows down its so bad. So something has changed for the worse than better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more smell testing...

I can confirm the following

first wot run after cold soak produces worst smell by far.

rolling the windows down about half way at highway speeds quickly removes the fumes. for those having to deal with this, this may be the best method of mitigating the smell.

Recirc off mitigates the smell in successive runs.

An observation that was also reported by two other posters:

the exhaust tip is farther under the bumper than a lot of other suvs

This is important because the rear air intake point is near the tail lights.

Perhaps redirecting the exhaust may work.

This is important because the rear air intake point is near the tail lights.

Perhaps redirecting the exhaust may work.
We have the "Exhaust" smell after medium/hard acceleration as well. 2014 Ex LTD 4k miles so far. Had the same problem with our last truck, 2004 Sequoia. Problem was never resolved, they just replaced the "cats" with some that didn't create quite as bad an odor. I experimented with a longer exhaust tip(single exhaust,bigger(4.7v8) engine and it made a significant difference, but did not totally eliminate the problem. I figured when we bought this truck that SURELY all the manufacturers had resolved this type of problem. Ha!. The design of the exhaust on the Ex is at least part of the problem. You have a 213 cu.in. engine which really doesn't need dual exhaust(it's not dual all the way anyhow), then you split the volume of the gas into two separate pipes at the very end of the run, then you flair the pipe to a larger size, THEN dump the now slow moving gas into a larger "tip", and there is very little velocity remaining. Add to that the vortices around the immediate rear of the truck, and the gas is going to get sucked in anywhere there is an "opening". I have noticed that it does not happen at lower speed short bursts, but more so with longer periods of acceleration, like from 55 to 75. I have also noticed it even when going over an overpass on the interstate, which causes a downshift while on cruise control.
Running the A/C on "fresh air intake" helps by partially "pressurizing" the cabin with air from the front intake. Just my opinion, which doesn't get much attention. We were told last week, that they "just got a TSB" on the problem, and they were going to do the fix on a 2014 Ex that belonged to their dispatcher. Prior to this, NO ONE at the dealership had EVER heard of "the problem" before.??? I can't find any mention of a "new" TSB anywhere, but, we will find out more this week. Is the problem in ALL explorers? or is it that some owners ignore it, or never accelerate at a rate that produces the problem? I'm hopeful, but not excited,,yet. We really like the truck(not really a truck anymore), but are very disappointed that this problem has not been resolved when there is evidence that it has shown up in all the "5th gen" models.

No, it is not affecting ALL Explorers. Never had the issue with my 2011 Ltd. The owners of the 5th gen Explorers I have spoken to around my area have not noticed it either.

Peter

No, it is not affecting ALL Explorers. Never had the issue with my 2011 Ltd. The owners of the 5th gen Explorers I have spoken to around my area have not noticed it either.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I have seen so many posts about it(here and elsewhere), I thought maybe it was all. jeff59rt1 said his 2011 only did it a couple of times.?
I hope someone can come up with a true fix. Have you heard of a "new" TSB?

Thanks, Gary

Hey Gary. No I can't say I've heard about any new TSB on this issue. I'm surprised that it has dragged on for 4 years now. I wonder how long it will be before we get a similar post for a 2015 model?

Peter

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and I have put it into the shop now 3 times for the same problem. A very bad burnt smell when I hard accelerate. Every time it was in the shop they could never find the problem. Well this last time after 2 days of having the vehicle they found it and is stating that it is the Catalytic Converter. However, the dealership is blaming the way I drive on the problem. Really I don't think so. This vehicle should be made to accommodate anyone's driving habit. They are telling me it is normal for it to do this. I really do not think it is. The smell is horrible. I am still waiting on a call back to see if the dealership will fix the problem. The more I read this forum the more I am frustrated that this is going on and the cannot seem to fix this problem. This is not the only problem I have had with my vehicle and it is only a year old. So Frustrated!!:thumbdwn:

Post no.1267 has made the most sense so far to date.

Good theory.

I Likey.

Buzz

Post no.1267 has made the most sense so far to date.

Good theory.

I Likey.

Buzz

My question is this, if it is as simple as exhaust gas getting sucked into the cabin due to airflow or whatever is happening at the tailpipe, wouldn't the gas smell like exhaust?

Is it possible there are two different issues we're talking about?

Anyway, the smell I get is more of a smoldering plastic/fibreglass/epoxy smell. Curiously, this weekend while working on my car audio upgrade... I was heat shrink wrapping some cable - the smell from that sort of reminded me of what I get on hard acceleration - definitely not "regular exhaust". I smelled a lot of that in the garage too (with the garage door up of course) as I would start the car every once and a while to keep the battery charged....)

I'm also wondering if maybe it's just the LTD's with the power lift gate. Do the other models have the power lift gate? Maybe it's not latching down evenly ?
Yeah, Kmire, I don't consider going over an overpass in cruise control at 65mph, "hard acceleration. It looks like it's going to be a long battle. I've had a call in to two service "supervisor" types, waiting all afternoon for their return call,,,they're closed for the day. Think I'm going in person tomorrow. It's an 80 mile round trip, but I can't just sit here and wait on the "stealership" to do something.

My question is this, if it is as simple as exhaust gas getting sucked into the cabin due to airflow or whatever is happening at the tailpipe, wouldn't the gas smell like exhaust?

Anyway, the smell I get is more of a smoldering plastic/fibreglass/epoxy smell. Curiously, this weekend while working on my car audio upgrade... I was heat shrink wrapping some cable - the smell from that sort of reminded me of what I get on hard acceleration - definitely not "regular exhaust". I smelled a lot of that in the garage too (with the garage door up of course) as I would start the car every once and a while to keep the battery charged....)
Definitely more than one "Bad or Burned" smell being discussed in this thread.
Your problem sounds like an electrical component overheating. Capacitors are notorious for that if they are cheaper ones. Had that problem before on another vehicle. No doubt about my problem being exhaust. Even the dealer agreed. Good luck

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and I have put it into the shop now 3 times for the same problem. A very bad burnt smell when I hard accelerate. Every time it was in the shop they could never find the problem. Well this last time after 2 days of having the vehicle they found it and is stating that it is the Catalytic Converter. However, the dealership is blaming the way I drive on the problem. Really I don't think so. This vehicle should be made to accommodate anyone's driving habit. They are telling me it is normal for it to do this. I really do not think it is. The smell is horrible. I am still waiting on a call back to see if the dealership will fix the problem. The more I read this forum the more I am frustrated that this is going on and the cannot seem to fix this problem. This is not the only problem I have had with my vehicle and it is only a year old. So Frustrated!!:thumbdwn:

Welcome to the forum kmire117. Good to have another "Cajun" around.

I can honestly tell you that if you are bringing your Ex to Bay City Ford, that they will only give you the run around. You would really be better to bring it to Acadiana Ford in Kaplan which has a much better service department.

I have been lucky with my 2011 as I run the crap out of it and have never had this problem. I know it exists as I have a friend with an Edge that has the smell. It is also not only a Ford problem as I have a friend with a GMC Sierra with the smell during hard acceleration.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck.:)

I had this same burning plastic smell the first 5-7k miles on my explorer. Was so bad that the smell would linger, even when putting the windows down. Almost burns the nose hairs! I beleive that smell is related to the excess fiberglass packing in the mufflers burning off. After running my car hard for a few hundred miles that smell is gone - it is now more the exhaust fume smelll that is also described in this thread. While annoying, it is no where near the intensity of this "burnt plastic" smell. Two different smells, but similiar issue - exhaust fumes getting into the cabin.

We have the "Exhaust" smell after medium/hard acceleration as well. 2014 Ex LTD 4k miles so far. Had the same problem with our last truck, 2004 Sequoia. Problem was never resolved, they just replaced the "cats" with some that didn't create quite as bad an odor. I experimented with a longer exhaust tip(single exhaust,bigger(4.7v8) engine and it made a significant difference, but did not totally eliminate the problem. I figured when we bought this truck that SURELY all the manufacturers had resolved this type of problem. Ha!. The design of the exhaust on the Ex is at least part of the problem. You have a 213 cu.in. engine which really doesn't need dual exhaust(it's not dual all the way anyhow), then you split the volume of the gas into two separate pipes at the very end of the run, then you flair the pipe to a larger size, THEN dump the now slow moving gas into a larger "tip", and there is very little velocity remaining. Add to that the vortices around the immediate rear of the truck, and the gas is going to get sucked in anywhere there is an "opening". I have noticed that it does not happen at lower speed short bursts, but more so with longer periods of acceleration, like from 55 to 75. I have also noticed it even when going over an overpass on the interstate, which causes a downshift while on cruise control.
Running the A/C on "fresh air intake" helps by partially "pressurizing" the cabin with air from the front intake. Just my opinion, which doesn't get much attention. We were told last week, that they "just got a TSB" on the problem, and they were going to do the fix on a 2014 Ex that belonged to their dispatcher. Prior to this, NO ONE at the dealership had EVER heard of "the problem" before.??? I can't find any mention of a "new" TSB anywhere, but, we will find out more this week. Is the problem in ALL explorers? or is it that some owners ignore it, or never accelerate at a rate that produces the problem? I'm hopeful, but not excited,,yet. We really like the truck(not really a truck anymore), but are very disappointed that this problem has not been resolved when there is evidence that it has shown up in all the "5th gen" models.

Great logic! Same principles in central HVAC, which makes total sense. I too own a 2014 (limited though). I had the TSB performed on the truck about two weeks ago. Not to be a Debbie downer, but it did absolutely nothing to change the smell. Not worth spending a week in a Dodge rental car!

Welcome to the Forum kmire117.:wavey:

Peter

Great logic! Same principles in central HVAC, which makes total sense. I too own a 2014 (limited though). I had the TSB performed on the truck about two weeks ago. Not to be a Debbie downer, but it did absolutely nothing to change the smell. Not worth spending a week in a Dodge rental car!

But did the Dodge try to kill you by filling the cabin with exhaust gases? :D

P.S. - Welcome to the forums!

Do you recall exactly what the TSB entailed? Thanks, Gary

CO reading in cabin

i purchased a handheld carbon monoxide meter and did trial runs to find out what the CO level would be after accelerating hard. 13 parts per million≈ is the reading i got after accelerating to 4000 rpm for a few seconds then letting go of the gas pedal. i plan to do further tests when i have time but in the meantime can anyone tell me if a 13 ppm reading inside the cabin with windows up, AC on, and recirc on, normal?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byn4T3h8vCDqQ2dZR3JlcDU5Q0E/edit?usp=sharing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too bought a "quality" handheld CO meter, and got about the same readings. Tested it by running it directly in the tailpipe, and got 250+ ppm, so it was working lol. The reading i got in the cabin after a hard acceleration were about what you are seeing (~20ppm), and upwards of 35ppm if I held it directly in the air vents under WOT. I will note that, the readings immediately returned to 0 after the hard acceleration though. I even placed it in the trunk for a few runs as it would hold the highest reading. So....while it is pumping some CO the cabin, it was diluting quite quickly. Not enough to call the EPA over in my opinion. So, I am sleeping better at night knowing that I can drive my family around in the Ex.

As for the TSB, it is the same one they are performing on the 11-13 models (12-12-4 I beleive). So, they changed out the tail gate seal, air extractors, drains, and applied sealant on all the seals....did absolutely nothing.

Back